Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mali Hudson (Kyle Shilling)

Mali Hudson (Kyle Shilling)

Indigenous theatre actor & dancer, Kyle Shilling has joined H&A to play character Mali Hudson (no details about his character etc as yet).

Daily Telegraph (subscription only) article:

"Getting The Write Idea

There's a new boy in Summer Bay.

Kyle Shilling, 28, will make his first appearance as Mali Hudson, a "cheeky surfer" with links to a Home and Away fan favourite, in January.

The TV newcomer from the Widjubal clan of the Bundjalung Nation is the only Aboriginal actor on set but tells Confidential the involvement of the entire production team in creating his character has been "awesome".

The long-running Aussie soap has employed an Aboriginal script consultant to help create Mali and his storylines.

"What that means to me is they're wanting to do this right, to tell the story of my character right, and wanting to represent my people and culture in the right way as well," Shilling said.

That includes small details like his wardrobe, art in Mali's home and his language.

EDIT:

New Home And Away Cast Member Revealed

https://globeecho.com/news/australia...mber-revealed/

Also:

https://7news.com.au/entertainment/h...aled-c-9027139

https://www.perthnow.com.au/entertai...dson-c-9037098
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 05-12-2022 at 20:46.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

hward (05-12-2022), Perdita (05-12-2022), Ruffed_lemur (05-12-2022)

New character, Mali, made his first appearance in last night's Aust episode:

DS article:

Home and Away airs newcomer Mali Hudson's first scenes as his connection to Dean is revealed
    Kyle Shilling joins the show's cast.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...udson-arrives/

Home and Away spoilers follow from Australian-pace episodes, which some UK viewers may prefer to avoid.

Home and Away has introduced newcomer Mali Hudson in the show's latest Australian episode.

Last month, the long-running soap announced that Kyle Shilling had joined the cast in the role of Mali, who'd have a connection with an established favourite.

With the show now back from its Christmas break, Wednesday's episode (January 11) on Channel 7 in Australia confirmed that Kyle is a friend and business contact of Dean Thompson.

When Mali turned up in the Bay, Dean introduced him to his partner Ziggy Astoni. It turned out that Mali is a surfboard shaper, who designs and builds the boards at Dean's shop.

John Palmer was one of the first Summer Bay residents to introduce himself, questioning Mali on whether he'd like to join the surf lifesaver team. Mali expressed his doubts as he doesn't live close enough to Summer Bay.

As Dean and Ziggy continued to chat to Mali at Salt, they realised that there might be a specific reason for his visit. However, Mali initially held back from telling them about what was going on.

New cast member Kyle is from the Widjabul clan of the Bundjalung Nation. Home and Away bosses have worked with an Aboriginal script consultant while devising plans for his character Mali.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnRUy...f-4af4703f16c4

Kyle recently told Perth Now: "If I had seen someone like me on a popular TV show when I was a kid, I would have been more driven as a young person to want to better myself and explore acting.

"As Indigenous people, we are always categorised as athletes; there was never any other avenue I thought I could go down. When you feel like you're stereotyped your whole life, that has a huge effect.

"Looking back on my 10-year-old self, if I had seen someone like Mali Hudson on such a big series, I would have wanted to be him."

Home and Away fans in the UK will see Mali's first scenes in March.

Home and Away airs weekdays at 1.45pm on Channel 5 and 6pm on 5STAR. First-look screenings air at 6.30pm on 5STAR and the show also streams on My5.

In Australia, the show airs Mondays to Thursdays at 7pm on Channel 7 and streams on 7plus.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (12-01-2023)

DS article:

Home and Away reveals Mali Hudson's future after debut scenes
    Mali lands a new job in Summer Bay.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...hudson-future/

Home and Away spoilers follow from Australian-pace episodes, which some UK viewers may prefer to avoid.

Home and Away has revealed why new character Mali Hudson will be sticking around in Summer Bay.

Recent episodes in Australia have seen actor Kyle Shilling make his first appearance as Mali, who's a friend and business contact of Dean Thompson.

Mali's first episodes revealed that he lives a few hours up the coast from Summer Bay and was only visiting briefly to surprise Dean.

As Mali works as a board shaper ? creating the stock for Dean's surfboard shop ? Mackenzie Booth recruited him to produce a decorative gift for the new nursery at Dean and Ziggy Astoni's home. Dean and Ziggy are expecting their first child together.

Although Mali had no further reason to stay in Summer Bay, it soon became clear that Dean had other ideas.

Monday's episode in Australia (January 23) saw Dean try to tempt Mali into taking over some of his work responsibilities.

As Dean looked ahead to his baby's arrival, he realised that he needed someone to do shifts at the board shop and also lead his surfing classes.

A sceptical Mali pointed out: "I just don't want to waste your time. I've never taught or run a shop before."

Dean replied: "I had zero experience when I started, on both counts. Ziggy's dad took me on. I'll walk you through it, same way he did with me."

Mali was also unsure about spending less time with the large and loving family that he has up the coast.

In the end, though, Mali agreed to take on the new challenges ? although he insisted on going slowly with a limited number of shifts.

This means that viewers ? and Summer Bay's residents ? will be seeing much more of Mali in the coming weeks and months.

Home and Away bosses announced that Kyle had joined the cast last month.

Home and Away airs weekdays at 1.45pm on Channel 5 and 6pm on 5STAR. First-look screenings air at 6.30pm on 5STAR and the show also streams on My5.

In Australia, the show airs Mondays to Thursdays at 7pm on Channel 7 and streams on 7plus.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (23-01-2023)

Apparently he has a big family or so he says , every scene...

Why not have a new indigenous family arrive? It would be great !!

New Mali & Rose promo:

"Home and Away Promo| Can Rose convince Mali to stay?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOKEXd0lEcQ

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (02-02-2023)

Following on from the previous post. DS article:

Home and Away reveals new romance storyline for Mali Hudson
    Sparks are flying...

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...-rose-romance/

Home and Away spoilers follow.

Home and Away has revealed a new romance storyline for newcomer Mali Hudson.

Mali first appeared on Australian screens last month, when Mackenzie recruited him to help make a decorative nursery gift before the birth of Dean and Ziggy's baby.

Although eager to return home to his family (who live a few hours up the coast), Mali decided to stay in Summer Bay after Dean offered him a job in the surfboard shop.

Now that Mali is officially sticking around, a new promo video has confirmed that sparks will fly between him and Rose Delaney.

The footage sees Mali approach Rose in the Surf Club, and other shots show a clear romance blossoming between the two.

"I still can't tell if you're a player or a sweet guy under this whole show," Rose remarks, to which Mali cheekily replies, "I guess you'll have to stick around and find out."

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoLNd...9-e0256e496711

Kyle Shilling, who plays Mali and is the soap's first indigenous actor, recently said he wants to introduce the character's family to the Bay as well as explore their cultural heritage.

The show employed Māori cultural advisers when it introduced the Parata family in 2019, and an Aboriginal consultant is on board to help with Mali?s storylines.

"The [Parata] boys had their moments during the haka and stuff," he told Stuff.

"I can?t wait to have that moment of hopefully bringing cousins and family members and friends in to do this really beautiful kind of corroboree ceremony celebration for something to do with Mali or a friend or a family member. I?m really excited for that."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (04-02-2023)

DS article:

Home and Away to bring in Mali Hudson's sister
    Elandra makes her Down Under debut this week.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...ister-elandra/

Home and Away spoilers follow for both UK and Australian audiences.

Home and Away is bringing in Mali Hudson's sister this week.

Mali has currently been enjoying his blossoming romance with Rose Delaney, but the arrival of his sister Elandra ? played by Wentworth and True Colours star Rärriwuy Hick ? might throw a spanner into the works.

"The cat's out the bag. Guess who's visiting Summer Bay," wrote Hick on her Instagram page, sharing a first-look photo of the siblings together.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpHP9qRL...c-6ee46b4c1d8f

In scenes airing this week, Mali and Rose spend the morning together in the caravan, but the couple's fun is interrupted when Elandra turns up on their doorstep unannounced and uninvited, leaving them scrambling to get dressed (via Australia's TV Week magazine).

Elandra wastes no time in accusing her sibling of moving to Summer Bay solely for a fling, and they start to argue, which causes Rose to shrink away in embarrassment.

The two women go for lunch at Salt together afterwards, where Elandra explains that Mali just upped and left his family without telling them beforehand. So, obviously, she's a bit miffed and wants him to come home.

Rose explains that Mali has really added a lot to the community since his arrival, and Elandra reluctantly admits that maybe life in Summer Bay is good for him.

Interestingly, as Rose is listing all of Mali's good points, she finds herself realising that she's developed real feelings for him.

"Rose is after something easy and fun; Mali is an exact encapsulation of that,'' said Kirsty Marillier of her character's romance with Mali.

"As their storyline unfolds, one thing that becomes obvious is how undeniable their chemistry is."

DS article:

Home and Away death storyline divides Mali Hudson and Rose Delaney
    Their relationship hits the rocks.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...e-death-story/

Home and Away spoilers follow from Thursday's Australian episode (March 30), which some UK viewers may prefer to avoid.

Home and Away's Mali Hudson and Rose Delaney look set to face an uncertain future after a tragic death in Summer Bay.

This week's episodes in Australia have seen Rose's brother Xander left devastated by a fatal attack against his work partner Jamie.

When Xander and Jamie were both on duty as paramedics, they were beaten up by a group of bat-wielding thugs, who were looking to steal drugs from the ambulance.

Xander later recovered in hospital, but Jamie sadly died at the scene.

In Thursday's episode on Channel 7 in Australia, Rose became determined to seek justice for the attack.

While Xander was still recovering in hospital, Rose organised a police sting operation to catch out the drug dealer who'd masterminded the attack.

This shocked the family-orientated Mali, who felt that Rose should be concentrating on staying at Xander's bedside.

In a chat with Rose's police colleague Cash Newman, a worried Mali asked: "Why is she putting this case before her brother? It feels like she's doing it for herself. Was she always like this?"

Cash replied: "In a crisis, yes. She is extremely good at her job. I'd be doing the same thing. So why don't you just get used to it, mate? It's all part of dating a cop."

Later, Rose was relieved when her plan led to an arrest. She then felt ready to turn her attentions back to Xander ? as well as Mali, who she'd spent the day pushing away.

Unfortunately, Rose soon realised that Mali saw her differently after observing her priorities during the upsetting events.

Mali complained: "I just don't think you're who I thought you were. You've done nothing but shut me down this whole time but now it's all good? I don't get that. I was the one sitting in the hospital with your brother all night."

When Rose questioned whether Mali was ending things between them, he confirmed that he was. Is it really the end of their story?

Home and Away fans in the UK will see these scenes on Channel 5 in May.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (31-03-2023)

DS article:

Home and Away lines up another change in Mali and Rose's storyline
    Will they get back together?

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...i-rose-change/

Home and Away has hinted that there's still hope for Mali Hudson and Rose Delaney's romantic future.

Upcoming episodes see Mali realise that he may have made a huge mistake by letting Rose go.

A few weeks ago, Australian-pace episodes saw Mali end his relationship with Rose shortly after her brother Xander was beaten up by thugs with baseball bats.

Rose had chosen to focus on bringing Xander's attackers to justice through her position in the police, rather than staying by her sibling's bedside at the hospital. Mali saw this as Rose turning her back on Xander and decided that he couldn't be with someone who didn't share his family-focused priorities.

Since the break-up, Mali and Rose have made their peace with each other and have tried their best to be friends. However, this week's episodes in Australia see the story take another twist as Mali's sister Elandra decides to interfere.

Rose is baffled when she receives a revealing call from Elandra and confides in Xander, telling him: "Apparently [Mali] still likes me and he shouldn't have dumped me."

Mali, meanwhile, openly admits that something doesn't feel quite right in the aftermath of his split from Rose. When the former couple come face-to-face for a chat, is there a chance they could reunite or has Elandra stirred things up unnecessarily?

Home and Away fans in the UK will see these scenes on Channel 5 in July.

DS article:

Home and Away confirms shock new accident for Mali Hudson
    Danger in the Bay

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...t-mali-hudson/

Home and Away fans are in for a fright as upcoming tense scenes have been released showing avid surfer Mali Hudson in danger.

The soap has dropped a short but gripping trailer for next week's episodes, which will air in Australia and later in the summer in the UK, of Mali (Kyle Shilling) heading out to catch some waves.

Mali has had issues with his eardrum since he was caught in an explosive storyline - which could prove deadly as he heads out on the water alone.

Mali got wrapped up in Marilyn's (Emily Symons) battle against Stunning Organics last month where she spoke out about the shady skincare company. Shortly after doing so a bomb was discovered in a mysterious package addressed to her.

In a heroic pursuit, Mali chased the van containing the bomb and managed to warn the driver and passenger to get out before it detonated but, in doing so, was sent flying when it blew, having not fully cleared the area.

Sharing a teaser trailer of what's to come on the show's official social media handles, the post was captioned: "It looks like paradise, but the dangers are deadly. Find out what happens on Monday from 7PM on @channel7 and @7plus."

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cthus...c-25a398aa6d1b

The serene video starts with Mali looking out to the ocean as calm music plays.

As the clip continues, shots of the beach and Mali surfing appear as captions read: "It looks like paradise, but the dangers are deadly."

Going from calm and serene on the waves to shots showing him thrashing in the water distressed and the sound of heavy breathing, Mali clearly gets into some trouble.

Many fans of the show commented on the trailer presuming a shark had attacked him, whereas other feels it could be the fallout from the explosion impacting his ability to surf.

It has been teased by Back to the Bay that next week Rose (Kirsty Marillier) will try to warn Mali that it isn't safe for him to surf with his eardrum, but he ignores her anyway.

The platform also showcases some production images of Mali holding his hand to his ear in discomfort.

One fan commented: "Please don?t go Mali. It?s Definitely a SHARK" with another adding: "We?ve not have a shark for a while now, probably due one."

A third questioned: "Um, perforated ear drum?? Stay clear of surfing?? Gotta love how these characters completely ignore medical advice."

Viewers will have to tune in to see what the real danger is.

Home and Away airs weekdays at 1.45pm on Channel 5 and 6pm on 5STAR. First look screenings air at 6.30pm on 5STAR and the show also streams on My5.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (17-06-2023)

Thread Information