https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/cor...ield-precinct/

Coronation Street has revealed an exciting first look at the soap's latest set extension.

The ITV1 show will get even bigger in the New Year, as Weatherfield Precinct is added to its list of regular locations.

The Precinct has been mentioned by the residents for decades, but now viewers will be able to see their favourite characters taking trips to the shopping centre.

Regular cast members Jack P Shepherd, Sally Dynevor, Antony Cotton, Jimmi Harkishin, Daniel Brocklebank, Channique Sterling-Brown, Elle Mulvaney, Tanisha Gorey, James Craven and Colson Smith were present on set today (December 1) for an official unveiling.

This was the cast's first chance to see the completed Precinct set after nine months of building work. The first scene on the set will be filmed next week and will air on January 13.

Corrie's new two-storey construction features maisonettes, a staircase and balcony leading to the properties.

There's also a piazza, new local shops and units, and a children's park with a play area ? including swings and a roundabout.

A charity shop at the Precinct will be one of the first sets to provide a new workplace for the residents when Roy Cropper and Evelyn Plummer volunteer their services.

Coronation Street's producer Iain MacLeod commented: "Hats off to our design and construction teams who have conjured a totally convincing new precinct for our drama.

"They took their inspiration from Salford's many real-world, late 20th century shopping areas and what they have created is a brilliant, characterful space to tell a diverse range of stories.

"Expect to see teens hanging out at the dessert shop, families enjoying the play area and, after dark, a rogues' gallery, up to shady business in the ginnels.

"I am really excited by the arrival on screen of this much discussed but never seen corner of the Weatherfield universe."

Coronation Street's design and construction teams have worked to age and weather the set, ensuring that it looks like it has been there for decades.

Head of Design Rosie Mullins explained: "In February 2021, I set about the first pencil drawings for a very exciting new exterior build ? Weatherfield Precinct. We have often heard about this precinct, and although we have filmed over the years at a range of shopping locations, we had never established our own Weatherfield Precinct.

"It had always intrigued me ? what would it look like and who would we find there? The opportunity to bring to life a colourful and grittier area of Weatherfield was so exciting.

"Weatherfield Precinct was inspired by the 1960s shopping precincts that we see across many areas of the UK. In designing this, the team gathered hundreds of images with a particular focus given to those in our local Manchester and Salford area.

"I wanted there to be aspects of the Precinct that people from all walks of life identify with and recognise. I wanted it to reflect how communities develop but aspects of them can also feel like stepping back in time."

She continued: "In this Precinct we find an array of businesses, a playground, residential flats, a small ginnel, Weatherfield community hub and a very colourful community recycling centre.

"Working with Iain on what the writing team needs from the Precinct has meant that we have managed to pack so much into this new set. I cannot wait to see the arrival on screen of Sweety Nuff dessert and milkshake shop, Gregory Pope Foundation Charity Shop, Rutlands bakery, Pound Outlet and Bargainanza Pawnbrokers.

This content is imported from Twitter. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

"The most incredible part of this has been watching this build rise from a small car park with a mass of ugly steel, concrete and timber to the beautifully constructed, characterful 1960s two-storey precinct that we see today.

"This build has been one of the most enjoyable builds that we have undertaken and showcases the many behind the scenes talents that the programme has to offer.

"I am incredibly proud of the detail, the quality of the build and for what it offers for future storytelling for the show."