Thread: Kieran Baldivis (Rick Donald)

Kieran Baldivis (Rick Donald)

Rick Donald has joined H&A as Martha's son Kieran (he is contracted until early next year, so I gather he is a guest character). Some might remember Rick from the show 800 Words where he played Woody, & he has also been in Wentworth etc. & more recently in mini-series Halifax: Retribution:

Daily Telegraph article (subscription only article so I can't copy the link):

Rick Donald will go ?toe-to-toe? with TV favourite, Ray Meagher in sensational new Summer Bay clash
    He?s been hounded by TV trolls already, so Rick Donald thinks he?s ready for the fallout over his new role ? taking on Summer Bay?s Alf Stewart.

f Rick Donald was playing Australian acting bingo, ?going toe-to-toe with Alf Stewart on Home And Away? would now be in the bag.

Joining the cast of Seven?s acclaimed drama series recently, as Kieran Baldivis ? the troubled son of Stewart?s wife, Martha ? saw the 800 Words favourite get his chance to face off with the TV icon, played by Ray Meagher, and famed for his flamin? hilarious ockerisms.

?To be honest,? he tells The BINGE Guide, ?I knew that I was going to be going toe-to-toe with Ray and that?s like a huge part of why I wanted to do it ? get ripped a new one by Alf Stewart,? he laughs, ?I loved it.?

All jokes aside, the 35-year-old was also drawn to the complex character he would play, who is battling alcohol addiction and has a dark history of mental illness.

Arriving unexpectedly in Summer Bay, after years of estrangement from his mother (Belinda Giblin), who lost saw her son when she was forced to call in the police to deal with one of his violent outbursts.

It puts the wayward son on a collision course with Alf, the over-protective good guy who has long ruled the Bay with a stern hand and a loving heart.

Donald was impressed by the show?s commitment to delving deeply into the issues ? setting up the clash with Alf, and all the social media backlash that is expected to bring him.

?It?s always nice coming on a show and sort of being a bit of a tornado and stirring things up,? he says.

Researching the role, the Wentworth and Underbelly actor found the issue of addiction terrifying for those battling the disease.

?The grip that has on people is just scary,? Donald says. ?I?ve never been a very big drinker, so it?s hard for me to understand, but hearing and reading stories about it ? what people go through ? it?s just really sad. Sad and tragic.?

Contracted until early next year, Donald is grateful the storyline will be given time to play out authentically, rather than ?rushing the story.?

?This guy is not going to come in, be drunk for a week and then he?s going to be magically fixed. The writers were really keen to explore it and let it breathe and try to get a true representation of the struggle,? he explains.

A fan from his own childhood, Donald remembers being engaged by the strong social issue focus of the Channel 7 soap, which can be a source of awareness for its young viewers.

?We grew up watching it and I can still remember learning about massive things. I remember there was a rape story and that was the first time I really understood and came to terms with rape. It?s still 7 o?clock TV, but you can definitely get some sort of message out there, and any awaress is always a good thing.?

Besides Stewart and Giblin, Donald was most excited to work opposite Georgie Parker (who plays Alf?s daughter Roo).

?She?s just awesome, I think she?s such a great actor and I grew up watching her,? he says.

Townsville-born Donald fondly remembers the family sitting down to watch her and his 800 Words co-star Erik Thomson in All Saints.

?We watched it every Tuesday night, or whenever it is on and their relationship had me so engaged. It was the season five romance and it couldn?t happen because Georgie was a nun and I remember being so wound up and frustrated they couldn?t be together.?

Later when he studied acting at NIDA, Donald looked back on their performances as some of the most formative in his early life.

?I remember looking back and thinking, ?well, they really did their job because they had me,?? he says, with a laugh.

He?ll need that sense of humour when Alf Stewart?s rabid fan base activates against him as the new episodes roll out, but a stint on Wentworth in season 7 as corrupt prison guard, Sean Brody has him hardened to dealing with trolls.

?They were fierce,? he says, ?the letters they?d write me like ? ?you don?t deserve to be on this show? ? believing it was real. So yeah, I can imagine Alf is going to spur a little bit of the come out of the woodworks and light it up.?

* Home And Away, 7pm weeknights on Seven.

This article has some pictures of Rick (& no, Alf doesn't die!)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...dent-DIES.html
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 22-11-2020 at 00:53.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

lizann (22-11-2020)

so is this a rehash of irene son storyline? was the actor on home and away or neighbours before?

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    so is this a rehash of irene son storyline? was the actor on home and away or neighbours before?
    I don?t think he has been in Neighbours before, but apparently he played a character named Dean O?Mara for 5-6 episodes in 2011 (can?t recall this myself!).

Nowtolove.com.au article:

EXCLUSIVE: Rick Donald spills on his new role on Home and Away and his love for Georgie Parker
    Rick Donald grew up watching Georgie Parker and now he's playing her half-brother.

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebri...ome-away-66009

As a 13-year-old boy living in Townsville, Rick Donald would be glued to the TV every week when All Saints came on.

He was fixated on Georgie Parker, who played Terri Sullivan, and the attraction between her and Mitch Stevens.

"I was obsessed," Rick tells TV WEEK. "My mum and I used to watch All Saints and I used to watch her.

Her romance with Erik Thomson was burnt into my brain.

She was the nun and he was the hot doctor and they never got together.

I remember turning to Mum one day and saying, 'Why don't they just get together?' I was so invested in that storyline."

Two decades down the track, Rick has co-starred with Erik in 800 Words and will soon be seen co-starring with Georgie in Home And Away.

"When I got on 800 Words and I met Erik, I said, 'Man, you guys killed me on that show,' and when I came on to Home And Away recently with Georgie I said the same thing."

Rick, 35, is working closely with Georgie on Home And Away, playing her character Roo's half-brother, Kieran Baldivis.

Kieran is Martha's (Belinda Giblin) son, but until recently, neither her husband Alf (Ray Meagher) nor her daughter Roo knew he existed.

Rick says he was keen to take on the role of Kieran because he has "a lot of layers".

But also, he liked the idea of working with Georgie ? as well as Ray.

"The idea of going head to head with him was really exciting," he says. "He's an absolute legend."

This isn't Rick's first visit to Summer Bay.

Early in his acting career, he had a small role as Dean O'Mara, the farmer who raped Bianca (Lisa Gormley). He got to meet Georgie briefly back then.

"Our characters didn't cross paths, but just because Georgie is the way she is, such a big personality, even if you don't have a storyline with her, she'll find a way to find you and make you laugh and give you a hug."

If Rick needed any more encouragement to take on the role of Kieran, he got it from his wife, Catherine Mack.

Catherine starred on Home And Away herself, playing school counsellor Natalie Davison and earning a TV WEEK Logie nomination in 2013.

"She loved her experience and was excited for me to be jumping onto the ship," he says.

Rick and Catherine got married in California in 2016.

Both of them had spent time living in the US, with Rick scoring a role in the sitcom Friends With Better Lives, alongside James Van Der Beek, before deciding to return to Australia.

Since then he's been in high demand.

While Woody in 800 Words was a very likeable character, more recently, he's tended to play unlikeable characters, such as prison officer Sean Brody in Wentworth.

Rick says it makes "no difference" to him whether he plays one or the other, even though he sometimes gets strong reactions from viewers.

"If I'm going to be an unlikeable character, I want you to hate me with everything," he says.

"When you get someone screaming at you because they want you to die, or they hate you so much they just want you to leave, I think you're doing your job."

When he's not playing unlikeable characters that make people scream, Rick lives on Sydney's northern beaches with Catherine and their young daughter.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1uaWs1H...ource=ig_embed

He says the months he spent at home due to COVID felt like a "forced holiday", because they live in such a beautiful location.

"During all this we've been really lucky to have the ocean right at our doorstep, so I haven't felt like the walls have been caving in on us, like some people have struggled with."

Rick has discovered another advantage of living on the northern beaches ? being close to Palm Beach, where Home And Away is filmed.

"I get to walk out from home to work. It's amazing!"

And from Digital Spy:

Home and Away newcomer Rick Donald reveals all on Martha's big new storyline
    Her long-lost son is set to stir things up.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...tha-storyline/

Digital Spy article:

AUST PACE!

Home and Away newcomer Kieran turns aggressive after meeting Jasmine
    His violent nature will rear its head.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...ne-aggressive/

Home and Away spoilers follow for UK and Australian viewers.

Home and Away newcomer Kieran is set to expose his short fuse as he turns aggressive after meeting Jasmine.

Martha recently revealed that her long-lost son has a history of violence and substance abuse, but now out of rehab, he's hoping for a second chance

In scenes set to air in the season finale this week in Australia and in the UK in early 2021, Kieran (Rick Donald) will make strides to fit in at Summer Bay as he searches for a job to pay for his caravan.

However, according to TV Week, he soon resorts to his old ways when things don't immediately go his way.

Kieran tries to seize a work opportunity with Jasmine, but catches her at the wrong time. She tells him to hand his r?sum? into reception so she can follow it up later, but this isn't good enough for the jobseeker.

Eager to land the job, Kieran refuses to leave until she offers him at least an interview. As his temper flares, Jasmine's old friend Lewis has to intervene and Kieran storms off. He then has an explosive outburst outside the surf club.

"He just pushes too hard, because he's so desperate to make amends and to be this new guy," Rick told the Australian magazine. "But because he's so desperate, he's aggressive. It becomes too much and he punches a tree ? he's not in a good headspace."

With a violent nature and anger issues quite clearly still present, is it just a matter of time before someone ends up getting hurt?

Home and Away returns to Channel 5 (UK) in January. The show's Australian season finale airs on Monday at 7pm on Channel 7.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (07-12-2020)

Will we meet his father?

Digital Spy article:

Home and Away hints at dark future for newcomer Kieran's story with Alf and Martha
    The Stewarts may have made a mistake by trusting him.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...an-alf-martha/

Home and Away spoilers follow from Australian episodes, which some UK readers may prefer to avoid.

Home and Away newcomer Kieran Baldivis looks set to head down a dark path in his new storyline.

Show bosses have introduced Rick Donald in the role of Kieran, who is the secret son of established character Martha Stewart (Belinda Giblin).

In scenes which aired in Australia late last year, Kieran came to Summer Bay looking for a second chance from his mum after a long period of estrangement.

Kieran grew up as a wild child, but his drinking became a problem once he was older. As this brought out a nasty side to his behaviour, Martha was left with no choice but to ultimately cut him out of her life.

Since arriving in the Bay, Kieran has claimed to be sober again and keen to turn his life around. However, Tuesday's episode in Australia (February 2) showed that this isn't the case at all.

After a seemingly successful family meal at the Stewart household, viewers saw Kieran secretly drinking alcohol from a hip flask.

Kieran was later given a job at the gym when Martha put in a good word for him with Jasmine Delaney.

Jasmine hoped that she could trust Kieran, but as soon as he was left alone, he started secretly drinking for the second time in less than 24 hours.

How long can Kieran keep his troubling secret to himself ? and could his drinking start to have an adverse effect on his behaviour once again?

Home and Away fans in the UK will see these scenes on Channel 5 later this month.

Home and Away airs weekdays at 1.15pm and 6pm on Channel 5 (UK) and Mondays to Thursdays at 7pm on Channel 7 (Australia).

Nowtolove.com.au article:

Kieran's return sends mum Martha spiralling on Home And Away
    Kieran is back but not in the way fans expect...

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebri...n-martha-66844

For the short time he was in Summer Bay, Martha's son Kieran was a bitter, booze-filled whirlwind.

His drinking spilled over into a vicious stoush with Alf, which saw him try to deck the stalwart before eventually fleeing town.

Now, Kieran (Rick Donald) is back - but not in the way fans will expect.

Martha (Belinda Giblin) blames Alf (Ray Meagher) and daughter Roo (Georgie Parker) for Kieran's disappearance.

Oddly, she appeals to Irene (Lynne McGranger) for help, alleging Roo and Alf are holding her prisoner.

This is our first indication something isn't right with Martha.

When Martha sees Kieran that night, her wayward son apologises for hurting her.

It's at this moment that Alf and Roo see Martha - and she appears to be having a conversation with thin air!

Did Kieran just make another hasty exit?

"What's so interesting about this character is that he's not just the bad guy who's coming in and just stirring stuff up," Rick, 35, tells TV WEEK.

"He's really trying his best to make amends. He just can't get out of his own way."

Roo and Alf know something is very wrong with an increasingly agitated Martha, but aren't sure what it is.

"Martha is spiralling, which is creating serious concerns about her mental health," Georgie, 56, explains.

By now it's obvious to viewers that Martha is having delusions.

"Roo has been told of her mother's mental health challenges, but when she sees Martha talking animatedly to herself, she realises it's extremely serious and knows her mother needs professional help," Georgie says.

But will Martha get the help she needs before it's too late?

And the Digital Spy article:

Home and Away to air mental health storyline for Martha Stewart after Kieran's departure
    Martha's behaviour begins to concern Alf and Roo as she experiences delusions.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...lth-storyline/
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 22-02-2021 at 21:12.

Digital Spy article:

Home and Away revisits Kieran Baldivis story as Martha faces a big decision
    Could he return?

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...ory-revisited/

Home and Away spoilers follow from Australian episodes, which some UK viewers may prefer to avoid.

Home and Away has revisited the Kieran Baldivis storyline on Australian screens this week.

Kieran (Rick Donald) had an eventful stint in Summer Bay earlier this year, which saw him head down a self-destructive path as he struggled with his alcoholism.

During his time in the seaside town, Kieran violently launched himself at Alf Stewart (Ray Meagher) and took his mum Martha Stewart (Belinda Giblin) hostage.

There were also outstanding warrants out for his arrest due to previous crimes that he'd committed. In the end, he was forced to face the consequences when Martha called the police on him.

This week's episodes on Channel 7 in Australia have seen Kieran's half-sister Roo Stewart (Georgie Parker) receive a surprising call about Kieran.

Roo was told that Kieran had finished his rehab and counselling, so was ready to start getting back to a normal life again.

As part of his recovery, Kieran asked to come back to live with the Stewart family at Summer Bay House.

While Roo was open to the idea, Alf was outraged and made it clear that he'd be having nothing to do with Kieran again.

Martha, who'd just returned to Summer Bay herself, was upset that Roo and Alf weren't giving her a chance to have a say over the situation.

Martha saw it as yet more evidence of Roo and Alf not respecting her enough to treat her like an adult.

In the end, it was Martha who made the final call as she told her family that she wasn't ready to have Kieran come and stay again.

Instead, Martha decided to take a relaxing trip to Merimbula and invited Alf to come with her, once he'd apologised for mishandling the latest Kieran drama.

But has the door been left open for Kieran to return again?

Home and Away fans in the UK will see these scenes in July on Channel 5.

Home and Away airs weekdays at 1.15pm and 6pm on Channel 5 (UK) and Mondays to Thursdays at 7pm on Channel 7 (Australia).

Digital Spy article:

Home and Away sets up more tension in Kieran Baldivis storyline
    Can Alf ever accept him?

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...divis-tension/

Home and Away spoilers follow from Australian pace episodes, which some UK viewers may prefer to avoid.

Home and Away's Stewart family could be heading for a feud following the surprise return of Kieran Baldivis.

Kieran (Rick Donald) recently returned to Summer Bay on Australian screens, determined to make amends after the trouble he caused when he was last in the area.

By chance, Kieran's comeback coincided with his mum Martha taking some time out from the Bay with her husband Alf. This meant that neither of them were around to react to Kieran being back.

In the meantime, Kieran has been bonding with his sister Roo (Georgie Parker) again and has seemed genuinely remorseful for his past actions. He's also in recovery after his alcohol struggles.

Despite these positive signs, Roo has chosen not to get in touch with Alf and Martha to tell them what's going on back home.

In Thursday night's triple bill of episodes in Australia (July 1), that finally changed as Roo sheepishly spoke to Alf on the phone.

Aware that her parents would be returning home soon, Roo gently broke the news to Alf that Kieran has returned and is in a good place again.

Roo knew that Alf's reaction wouldn't be good, but his response was even worse than she feared as he immediately hung up the phone in anger.

Roo tried to phone Alf back, but she was put straight through to voicemail.

Frustrated by this immature response from her dad, Roo left him a stern message: "This is ridiculous, now you're not picking up. Just so that you know, this conversation is not over, sorry to say, and when you come home we will be talking about Kieran."

Will Alf ever be able to accept Kieran's presence in the Bay? Plus, how will Martha feel about seeing him back after he held her hostage last time?

Home and Away fans in the UK will see these scenes in mid-August on Channel 5.

Home and Away airs weekdays at 1.15pm and 6pm on Channel 5 (UK) and Mondays to Thursdays at 7pm on Channel 7 (Australia). Selected classic episodes are available via Amazon Prime Video in the UK.

Thread Information