Thread: Curtis Perkins (Nathan Borg)

Curtis Perkins (Nathan Borg)

Digital Spy article. Nathan Borg has joined Neighbours playing Curtis Perkins, a teacher at Erinsborough High, in a recurring guest role:

Neighbours makes Aussie TV history as hard of hearing actor Nathan Borg joins soap
    "It's important in this industry that people with all disabilities of all ages get to tell their stories."

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...an-tv-history/

Neighbours has made history as hard of hearing actor Nathan Borg joins the soap, becoming the first actor on Australian TV with a cochlear implant.

Nathan plays Curtis Perkins in a recurring guest role. Curtis is a teacher at Erinsborough High who's described as "an easy-going guy" and "far tougher than he lets on".

He's passionate about teaching and will be under the watchful eye of Susan Kennedy (Jackie Woodburne) and Jane Harris (Annie Jones).

Nathan was born six weeks premature and became profoundly deaf after he contracted meningitis at three months old. He got a cochlear implant in his right ear at two which allowed him to hear for the first time.

The big casting news was announced today (December 2) to coincide with International Day of People with Disabilities on Thursday (December 3). The actor began working on the soap in November.

"Growing up I never saw anyone like me on television, so I knew it was time to have a hard of hearing actor on our Australian screens. I think it's important in this industry that people with all disabilities of all ages get to tell their stories," Nathan said.

"Each time I film scenes with Jackie and Annie I am constantly growing as an actor. It is such a privilege to work with such inspiring icons. Jackie has taught me to take direction and Annie has taught me to let loose on set which has been a great balance."

Executive Producer Jason Herbison added: "Nathan's passion for acting was clearly evident when I met him nearly a year ago and I'm delighted he is joining the cast in a recurring guest role as a young teacher fresh out of university who isn't defined by his hard of hearing status.

"He is independent and working in the community, and like everyone on Ramsay Street, we soon discover a link with one of our residents which is going to be a lot fun."

Nathan's episodes will air in the UK from early 2021.

Neighbours airs on weekdays at 1pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

And from Nowtolove.com.au:

EXCLUSIVE: Meet Neighbours? newcomer Nathan Borg, Australia?s first hard of hearing actor with a cochlear implant
    ??Everyone is beautiful in their own unique way.??

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebri...han-borg-66134

And from Radiotimes.com:

Neighbours announces guest role for hard of hearing actor Nathan Borg
    Another new face is coming to Erinsborough...

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/soap...r-nathan-borg/
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 03-12-2020 at 02:53.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Aussieguy (03-12-2020), Mirjam (03-12-2020), Ruffed_lemur (03-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Pantherboy View Post
    Digital Spy article. Nathan Borg has joined Neighbours playing Curtis Perkins, a teacher at Erinsborough High, in a recurring guest role:

Neighbours makes Aussie TV history as hard of hearing actor Nathan Borg joins soap
    "It's important in this industry that people with all disabilities of all ages get to tell their stories."

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...an-tv-history/

Neighbours has made history as hard of hearing actor Nathan Borg joins the soap, becoming the first actor on Australian TV with a cochlear implant.

Nathan plays Curtis Perkins in a recurring guest role. Curtis is a teacher at Erinsborough High who's described as "an easy-going guy" and "far tougher than he lets on".

He's passionate about teaching and will be under the watchful eye of Susan Kennedy (Jackie Woodburne) and Jane Harris (Annie Jones).

Nathan was born six weeks premature and became profoundly deaf after he contracted meningitis at three months old. He got a cochlear implant in his right ear at two which allowed him to hear for the first time.

The big casting news was announced today (December 2) to coincide with International Day of People with Disabilities on Thursday (December 3). The actor began working on the soap in November.

"Growing up I never saw anyone like me on television, so I knew it was time to have a hard of hearing actor on our Australian screens. I think it's important in this industry that people with all disabilities of all ages get to tell their stories," Nathan said.

"Each time I film scenes with Jackie and Annie I am constantly growing as an actor. It is such a privilege to work with such inspiring icons. Jackie has taught me to take direction and Annie has taught me to let loose on set which has been a great balance."

Executive Producer Jason Herbison added: "Nathan's passion for acting was clearly evident when I met him nearly a year ago and I'm delighted he is joining the cast in a recurring guest role as a young teacher fresh out of university who isn't defined by his hard of hearing status.

"He is independent and working in the community, and like everyone on Ramsay Street, we soon discover a link with one of our residents which is going to be a lot fun."

Nathan's episodes will air in the UK from early 2021.

Neighbours airs on weekdays at 1pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

And from Nowtolove.com.au:

EXCLUSIVE: Meet Neighbours? newcomer Nathan Borg, Australia?s first hard of hearing actor with a cochlear implant
    ??Everyone is beautiful in their own unique way.??

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebri...han-borg-66134

And from Radiotimes.com:

Neighbours announces guest role for hard of hearing actor Nathan Borg
    Another new face is coming to Erinsborough...

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/soap...r-nathan-borg/
    Nathan looks like a young Stefan Dennis!

DS artiicle:

Neighbours reveals new story for Curtis Perkins in Aubrey aftermath
    Curtis tries to help Aubrey's grandmother Shannon.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...-aubrey-story/

Neighbours spoilers follow.

Neighbours is setting up a new storyline for Curtis Perkins in next week's episodes.

Curtis (Nathan Borg), who is hard of hearing and has a cochlear implant, is asked to help with Aubrey Laing's (Etoile Little) homeschooling assistance when he notices that her grandmother Shannon (Francesca Waters) may have hearing difficulties.

Viewers have seen that Aubrey and her friend Sadie Rodwell were behind the recent fires, as they tried to frame Zara Selwyn.

Aubrey and Sadie were punished after a remorseful Sadie confessed, with the pair expelled from Erinsborough High.

This week, Jane Harris (Annie Jones) is visited at the school by Aubrey's grandmother Shannon (Francesca Waters). Shannon reveals that Aubrey is now being homeschooled, and hopes Jane can lend some assistance.

Jane is initially reluctant to, but a surprisingly mature Zara (Freya Van Dyke) convinces the teacher to help.

Jane provides Shannon with resources, before handing over an important form and informing her of the deadline that needs to be met. However, the form isn't returned in time, which frustrates Jane.

The following week, Jane and Shannon discuss this misunderstanding before Jane suggests that Curtis should be the main point of contact for any homeschooling queries.

Curtis meets with Aubrey and Shannon, and notices that Shannon appears to have difficulty hearing.

Hoping to help, he brings this up, but Shannon is immediately defensive and denies there's anything wrong with her hearing.

Curtis wants to help, and may not give up on Shannon just yet.

Neighbours airs these scenes on Wednesday, March 16 and Thursday, March 24 at 1.45pm and 6pm on Channel 5 (UK) and Monday, April 4 and Wednesday, April 13 at 6.30pm on 10 Peach (Australia).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (14-03-2022)

DS article:

Neighbours reveals full details of hearing loss storyline for Aubrey's gran Shannon
    A near-death experience leaves Shannon shaken.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...oss-storyline/

Neighbours has confirmed full details of Shannon Laing's hearing loss storyline.

This week, UK viewers saw Jane Harris (Annie Jones) providing Shannon (Francesca Waters) with homeschooling assistance for her granddaughter Aubrey (Etoile Little), after the student was expelled from Erinsborough High over the recent fires.

Shannon attempted to lip-read, but looked away briefly when Jane mentioned a deadline that an important form needed to be returned by. This resulted in Shannon failing to return the form in time.

The next few weeks will see Curtis Perkins (Nathan Borg), who has a cochlear implant, noticing that Shannon appears to have hearing difficulties during a meeting with her and Aubrey, but Shannon responds defensively and strongly denies having any issues with her hearing.

Aubrey later opens up to Curtis, but Shannon continues to be in denial when the concerns are raised again.

However, a near-death experience leaves Shannon shaken and convinces her to seek help.

With Curtis' assistance, Shannon has a tearing test at her local Specsavers store, and a hearing aid makes her life much easier.

Both Nathan Borg and guest actor Francesca Waters are hard of hearing in real life.

"Being able to cast wonderful actors such as Francesca and Nathan, who are so committed to tell this story authentically, is very rewarding for Neighbours, and we're thankful for Specsavers' insights to help us faithfully bring an important message to life in an entertaining way," the show's executive producer Jason Herbison said.

Scenes for the storyline were filmed at the Specsavers store in Forest Hill Chase, Australia.

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 6pm on Channel 5 and streams on My5. In Australia, the show airs Mondays to Thursdays at 6.30pm on 10 Peach and streams on 10 Play.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

MellBee (18-03-2022), Ruffed_lemur (19-03-2022)

DS article:

Neighbours reveals first look as Curtis saves Shannon in dramatic scene
    Shannon is shaken by the incident.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...on-first-look/

Neighbours' Curtis Perkins saves Aubrey Laing's grandmother Shannon in UK episodes airing next week.

The dramatic scene is part of the show's current hearing loss storyline, as Shannon (Francesca Waters) denies having issues with her hearing.

The story started when Shannon failed to meet a deadline after Jane Harris tried to provide homeschooling assistance for the recently-expelled Aubrey (Etoile Little). This week, Curtis (Nathan Borg) suspected that Shannon had hearing difficulties, but she reacted defensively when he attempted to bring the subject up.

In upcoming scenes, Curtis still believes Shannon is hard of hearing, and speaks with her again with encouragement from a concerned Aubrey.

Shannon continues to deny anything is wrong, but during the conversation, she doesn't hear a car approaching from behind and comes dangerously close to being hit by the vehicle. Fortunately, Curtis is there to save Shannon.

Following this, a nervous Shannon agrees to get her hearing tested.

Shannon is told that she needs a hearing aid, but she needs to be persuaded to get one. She explains that she's struggling to process everything that's happening and is very conscious about her age.

But Curtis reassures Shannon, explaining that getting a hearing aid may help her relationship with her granddaughter Aubrey. It leads to a breakthrough.

Executive producer Jason Herbison previously praised stars Nathan Borg and Francesca Waters, who are also both hard of hearing in real life, for helping to "tell this story authentically".

Neighbours airs these scenes on Thursday, March 31 and Friday, April 1 at 1.45pm and 6pm on Channel 5 (UK) and Thursday, April 21 and Monday, April 25 at 6.30pm on 10 Peach (Australia).

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

MellBee (25-03-2022), Ruffed_lemur (25-03-2022)

DS article:

Neighbours confirms Curtis Perkins's return
    Nathan Borg returns to Ramsay Street.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...n-borg-return/

Nathan Borg's return to the Neighbours reboot as Curtis Perkins has been confirmed.

The long-running Australian soap ? which ended in 2022 before being revived under the same name on Amazon Freevee ? posted a video of the actor to the official Neighbours Twitter/ X account to share the news.

The caption, atop a short clip of Nathan, said: "So pleased to share that Curtis Perkins, played by Nathan Borg, is BACK as a recurring supporting character!"

https://twitter.com/neighbours/statu...P0fvSinBw&s=19

In the video, Nathan, who is profoundly deaf, also teased a fair share of trials and tribulations ahead for Erinsborough's inhabitants.

"I'm very excited for everyone to see what's been happening on Ramsay Street," he said. "Lots of drama. See you soon."

In the original iteration of Neighbours, Curtis was a teacher at Erinsborough High School. One of his most dramatic storylines saw him involved in a secret love affair with Jesse (Cameron Robbie).

The relationship ended in heartbreak after Curtis discovered his lover was harbouring a multitude of secrets from him.

Elsewhere on Ramsay Street, Rebekah Elmaloglou has hinted that life as a stepmum won't be plain sailing for her character Terese Willis.

Asked about Terese's relationship with the kids, Rebekah told Digital Spy, "That doesn't run smoothly at all.

"The actors are amazing and beautiful. But basically Terese has now got a household full of kids ? young kids at that. She was always such a great ambitious career woman, but she always had that nice family side to her.

"She loves Toadie so she's going to embrace the kids. But there'll be issues, no doubt."

Neighbours releases new episodes from Mondays to Thursdays for free on Amazon Freevee in the UK and US. In Australia, the show airs from Mondays to Thursdays at 4.30pm on Channel 10, with a 6.30pm repeat screening on 10 Peach.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (23-09-2023)

Thread Information