Thread: Cameron Daddo

Cameron Daddo

Quote Originally Posted by Pantherboy View Post
    Following on from previous posts on this thread on 31 Oct & 4 Nov last year, dailytelegraph.com.au has now posted this article. Cameron Daddo makes his debut on H&A this week in Aust., as Ryder's Dad (It is a subscriber only article, so I can't include the link):

Cameron Daddo plays mystery dad arrives in Summer Bay
    A familiar face returns to our screens to surprise one of Home and Away’s most popular characters to say ‘I’m your dad!’

CAMERON Daddo was a household name in the early ’90s in Australia, but since returning after more than 25 years in Hollywood, he’s had to introduce himself again to audiences in his beloved home country.

Daddo, 55, who will this week be seen on long-running soap Home And Away, made a name for himself when he replaced Greg Evans as the host of popular dating game Perfect Match in the late 1980s.

He went on to star in a range of local productions and picked up a Logie for his work on the miniseries Golden Fiddles in 1992.

It was that same year that he and wife, model Alison Brahe, packed their bags and joined the growing list of Aussies trying to make their mark in Hollywood. While he never soared to the heights he dreamt of in the US, work was constant and he appeared on shows such as Models Inc, The West Wing and Monk over the decades.

He and Brahe also started their family while living in LA, with daughters Lotus and Bodhi and son River all born while they were there.

In 2016 they made the decision to bring their family back home to Australia (after embarking on a final tour of the States), settling back into Sydney’s northern beaches.

But when Daddo returned, he found that much time had passed and, despite his successes both here and abroad, he virtually had to start from scratch.

“It took a while to have people know that we were here and trust we weren’t going to zip off any second,” he tells Insider. “It took a while for that to happen and for things to build up, it was like starting over again really.”

It was a difficult adjustment to make, but one that Daddo completely understood given the length of time he had been out of the Australian spotlight.

“I’d rather not have to start again but I understand why I needed to because generations have passed since I left,” he says. “We were gone 25 years so there’s a whole lot of people who have no clue who I am.

“And there’s a whole lot of people who remember me, but because I’m 25 years older, I look different. I am different. I’m a 50-year-old man now.”

Despite the hurdles, there is no doubt the decision to put his family on that plane back to Sydney was the right one.

“Without a doubt it was the best move we could have made,” he says. “Just seeing the joy on my parents’ faces, my in-laws, seeing them with the kids and with Ali, and getting to hang out with my brothers and my sister.”

Family is now at the centre of everything for Daddo, who along with his acting has also hosted a nightly show on Smooth FM for more than six years. The demands of a jobbing actor in Hollywood meant he could be filming for long periods of time thousands of miles from his kids. It was something he wasn’t willing to continue doing when he realised what he was missing.

“I spent so much time away from my kids in the early years due to travelling and doing my job,” he says. “It was a constant wrestle, a constant wrestle. I said no to lots of work because I was going to be away from the kids so that’s the constant battle of an actor.”

Daddo is looking forward to heading to Summer Bay. His character plays the singer-songwriting father of one of the show’s popular regulars who wasn’t expecting to ever meet him. A huge bonus for the familiar face was that he got the opporunity to play his own songs on the show. Music is a massive part of Daddo’s life and career and he is planning to release an album shortly.

He says he needed no more convincing than working with the likes of Georgie Parker, Ray Meagher and Emily Symonds. “They’re too good not to, they’re too good to do that and they don’t need to do it. I trust that part of it. If it’s good enough for them, it’s good enough for me.

HOME AND AWAY, CHANNEL 7, WEEKNIGHTS 7PM
    Home and Away casts Cameron Daddo as Ryder Jackson's father

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...-ryder-father/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

lizann (14-05-2020)

romance for roo

Digital Spy article on Ryder's father, Evan Slater. We saw him for the first time right at the end of last night's (Thursday) episodes in Aust:

Home and Away – who is Ryder Jackson's father Evan Slater?
    Here's the lowdown on Summer Bay's latest newcomer.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...ackson-father/

Home and Away spoilers follow.

Home and Away has welcomed a new character to Summer Bay on Australian screens, with Ryder Jackson's father Evan Slater finally making an appearance.

Evan, played by Cameron Daddo, turned up unannounced in the closing moments of Thursday's triple bill of episodes on Australia's Channel 7 (May 14).

What do we know about this new arrival and how will he fit into Summer Bay? Here's our quick guide.

Home and Away's Evan Slater – who is Ryder Jackson's father?

While Ryder Jackson has been a Summer Bay regular since 2017, viewers haven't been introduced to his father Evan until now.

Evan has never been part of Ryder's life, as the Summer Bay favourite was raised solely by his mum Quinn Jackson. This explains why Ryder failed to recognise Evan when he first turned up in the Bay in the show's latest Australian episode.

Some of the backstory was mentioned in passing when Quinn last paid a visit to the Bay in 2017.

Quinn explained that she met Evan when they were both musicians on a cruise ship. The pair had a brief fling and they made plans to settle down on the Gold Coast after Quinn got pregnant. Evan later reneged on his promises and left Quinn high and dry.

In 2018, Lukas Radovich – who plays Ryder – told Digital Spy that he'd like the show to introduce his on-screen father.

"I think it would be really interesting to see what happens with [Ryder], his dad and his mum and his own family dynamic, and whether they'll come back. That's something that interests me, his own personal family life," Lukas explained at the time.

Looks like the writers were listening…

Home and Away spoilers – what's to come for Evan Slater?

At Australian pace, Thursday's Home and Away episodes saw Evan turn up out of the blue, armed with his guitar. When Ryder started asking questions about who he was, Evan introduced himself as the young barman's long-lost father.

Evan now has a mountain to climb to get back on good terms with his son. The show has revealed that Evan put his career before his family commitments back in the day, touring the world as a singer and guitarist.

Many years later, Evan has finally changed his ways, but the big question is whether Ryder is prepared to forgive him for his past mistakes. Early next week, Ryder will instantly reject Evan, asking him to leave.

Evan then turns to Ryder's aunt Roo for help, hoping that she'll agree to play peacemaker so that he can make up for lost time with his son.

Will Roo agree to work her magic? And is there more to Evan's sudden arrival than meets the eye?

Home and Away fans in the UK can look forward to seeing Evan make his first appearance on Friday, June 19 on Channel 5.

Who is Home and Away newcomer Cameron Daddo?

Cameron Daddo, who plays the role of Evan, is an Australian musician, actor and TV presenter. His previous TV jobs include the part of photographer Brian Peterson in Melrose Place spin-off Models Inc, and Adam Goodman in Aussie drama Packed to the Rafters.

Cameron is expected to appear in Home and Away for a two-month run of episodes – and he's sure to pack in plenty of drama during that time.

Cameron recently told the Herald Sun: "Summer Bay is everything and more – it's a delightful place to be. I didn't think I'd be adding an early evening serial to my resume at this stage in life.

"As an actor, you don't know what you're doing month to month so I'm really grateful, especially being an artist because a lot of my contemporaries are doing it tough."

Home and Away airs weekdays at 1.15pm and 6pm on Channel 5 (UK) and Mondays to Thursdays at 7pm on Channel 7 (Australia).

And the Nowtolove.com.au article:

Home & Away newcomer Cameron Daddo spills on his character's explosive arrival in the Bay
    The Aussie actor finally bares all as he makes his big Bay debut.

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebri...haracter-63936
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 15-05-2020 at 00:23.

Nowtolove.com.au article:

AUST PACE!

"I'm your father": Home And Away's Evan confesses to Ryder - but what else is he hiding?
    Ryder is in for more than one shock this week.

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebri...haracter-63964

His arrival in Summer Bay has caused consternation among the Stewart family. And this week, Evan's stunning revelation will turn young Ryder's world upside-down.

In recent episodes of Home And Away, Evan (Cameron Daddo) arrived at the caravan park looking for Ryder (Lukas Radovich). Upon meeting the teen, Evan delivered unexpected news, telling him he's his biological father.

Ryder doesn't take the news well and this week rejects Evan's claims. He slams the door in his face and phones his mum for answers. To his astonishment, she tells him Evan is telling the truth.

"Ryder is incredibly doubtful about him," Cameron, 55, tells TV WEEK. "He wonders why Evan is there and wants him gone. But when his mother validates it, Ryder becomes angry that his father has abandoned him for so many years."

Unfortunately, the truth doesn't bring forgiveness. Evan struggles to win over the son he left when he was a child. While Ryder's aunt Roo (Georgie Parker) supports his decision to push him away, she does feel he's wasting an opportunity.

Ryder refuses to budge, forcing Evan to leave. But before he does, he hands Roo his business card and asks her to speak to her nephew. He wants to tell his side of the story.

"Evan tries to convince Ryder he just wants to get to know him – but there's a reason for it and why he's there now," Cameron says. "He apologises, but it may not be enough. He also has something to tell him."

Later, Ryder goes for a walk and comes across his father at the bus stop, readying to leave town. The tense moment is tempered by the offer of a free coffee, which Ryder reluctantly agrees to.

At the Diner, father and son stumble their way through conversation. But all the while, Ryder can't bring himself to ask one question: why has he returned? And why now?

The following day, Roo listens as Ryder reflects on his coffee with Evan. She's surprised, however, when the teen insists he doesn't want any further contact.

He can't forgive Evan for leaving him and his mother, no matter how many apologies he makes.

Yet, Evan can't seem to get the hint and sets himself up in a caravan. Over the next few days, he insinuates himself into Ryder's life any way he can.

Fed up with his presence, Ryder finally asks the question he's been afraid to ask since his father left.

"Why have you come back? Why now?" he demands.

Taking a deep breath, Evan replies with the truth – a huge bombshell that will leave Ryder questioning everything he believes in.

What does Evan say?

And the Digital Spy article:

Home and Away newcomer Cameron Daddo teases secret reason for Ryder's father arriving
    "He has definitely come to the Bay for a very specific reason."

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...slater-secret/

Digital Spy article:

AUST PACE!

Home and Away reveals a sad secret about Ryder Jackson's father Evan
    Roo gets a shock.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...r-evan-secret/

Home and Away spoilers follow from Australian-pace episodes, which some UK readers may prefer to avoid.

Home and Away newcomer Evan Slater has revealed the real reason behind his arrival in Summer Bay.

Show bosses have cast Cameron Daddo in the role of Evan, who's the long-lost father of Ryder Jackson.

Evan has already been settling into the Bay on Australian screens, desperate to make up for lost time with Ryder and build up a relationship with him. However, much to his dismay, Ryder has remained sceptical.

Thursday's triple bill of episodes on Channel 7 in Australia (May 21) delved deeper into the storyline, as Evan was forced to come clean with Ryder's aunt Roo Stewart about his real intentions.

This came as Ryder was starting to lose patience with Evan, convinced that he was holding something back.

Ryder couldn't understand why Evan suddenly wanted to be part of his life after so many years of absence, believing that there must be more to it.

With Roo trying to play peacemaker between father and son, it was left to her to raise this with Evan and urge him to be more honest.

Recalling her own past, Roo told Evan: "I was an absentee parent and I know hard it is to come back into your child's life. That's why I think I want this to work out for you guys – I know how valuable it is to be given a second chance.

"Why is it so important that you connect with Ryder? If it's a secret, I can keep it."

Finally revealing all, Evan replied: "The reason I came here is because I'm dying."

Having already promised to keep Evan's secret, what will Roo do now? Is it only a matter of time before Ryder finds out?

Home and Away fans in the UK will see these scenes on Channel 5 in late June.

Home and Away airs weekdays at 1.15pm and 6pm on Channel 5 (UK) and Mondays to Thursdays at 7pm on Channel 7 (Australia).

Nowtolove.com.au article. So the speculation is true. Cameron Daddo will return as Owen, Evan's long-lost, estranged twin brother!

EXCLUSIVE: Home And Away star Cameron Daddo spills on his shock return to Summer Bay as an entirely different character
    ''I was thrilled when the idea was pitched to me.''

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebri...ack-2020-64950

Having delivered a moving performance as Ryder's long-lost dying father Evan Slater in Home And Away, Logie winner Cameron Daddo, 55, is set to make a return to the hit show in a completely different role!

He's coming back to the Bay as Owen, Evan's long-lost, estranged twin brother.

It's not often actors get to play two different parts on the same show. Was it hard to switch from Evan to Owen?

Fortunately, I had some time between playing the two characters. I was able to put Evan "to bed" and then create the backstory of Owen.

Thankfully, I never played the two at the same time... now that would have been fun!

What was going through your head when the show's team offered you this new role ? did you ever expect to be back on Summer Bay?

When I began the journey of Evan, I understood there was going to be an end ? after a couple of weeks, I found myself wanting them to find "a cure", or way to extend my time in the Bay.

It was such a fun and creative place to work. I was thrilled when the idea of Owen was pitched to me.

This is such an iconic and longstanding Australian series, with a very loyal international fan base. Is there a pressure that comes with being part of the show?

I've always worked hard at shutting out "who is watching" when I'm working because it's true ? there's too much pressure!

I have enough on my plate to tell the story the best way I know how, and yes, it's awesome the show gets worldwide attention.

What's life like on set ? are the cast and crew amazing to be around when the cameras stop rolling?

Life on the Home And Away set is easy. I've worked on some pressure cookers, and believe me, that doesn't always get the best from people.

The crew and the cast are first-class around Summer Bay.

The show obviously has an amazing ensemble cast, including your good friend Georgie Parker. What's it like working with her?

Georgie cares very much about the work. She cares about getting the story right ? that's why she's been working for the length of time she has.

It also doesn't hurt to have a wicked sense of humour and she buys the odd coffee for me ? I take the evens. We balance things nicely!

What do your three kids make of your career? Do you expect they'll pursue acting and be seen on the small screen?

It remains to be seen whether any of my kids venture in front of the lights and cameras.

They've seen me traverse the last 20-odd years and that can't have been an easy thing for them? a lot of ups and downs.

That said, to be an actor you need to have curiosity and determination? they have that in spades, so whatever they do, they'll be alright.

And:

Home and Away star Cameron Daddo confirms shock return ? but not as Evan Slater
    How will Ryder react?

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...-daddo-return/
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 18-08-2020 at 00:22.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

lizann (17-08-2020), Perdita (28-08-2020)

I liked even, be interesting to see Owen.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kaz21 For This Useful Post:

lellygurl (17-08-2020), Pantherboy (17-08-2020), Perdita (28-08-2020), tammyy2j (17-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaz21 View Post
    I liked even, be interesting to see Owen.
    I liked Evan too

I wonder will Owen be the opposite, more bad than good

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

kaz21 (18-08-2020), Pantherboy (18-08-2020)

Digital Spy article:

Home and Away - who is Cameron Daddo's new character Owen?
    We haven't seen the last of him in the Bay.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...on-daddo-owen/

Home and Away spoilers follow for UK viewers.

Home and Away introduced a new character in very unusual circumstances on Australian screens this week - bringing back actor Cameron Daddo to play a second role.

Cameron has only recently bowed out as Ryder Jackson's father Evan Slater, but we hope nobody bothered to throw him a leaving party as he's now back as someone entirely different - Summer Bay newcomer Owen.

Home and Away's UK fans won't get to meet Owen for a few weeks yet, but if you want an early preview of what on earth is going on, look no further.

Who is Home and Away's Owen?

Home and Away's Australian viewers had their first glimpse of Owen late last week, when Roo Stewart spotted a figure resembling Evan roaming around the Bay.

Given that Summer Bay has something of a reputation for ghostly visions, Marilyn was quick to suggest the possibility that Evan's spirit had come back to visit Roo.

Roo, meanwhile, feared for her own sanity as she wondered whether the loss of Evan had taken a toll on her mental wellbeing. She was the one who at Evan's side for his final days, and was also present at the moment he passed away from his terminal illness.

A freaked-out Roo saw further sightings of Evan's supposed "ghost" at the start of this week. Unable to find a rational explanation, she went ahead with Marilyn's suggestion of a seance in the hope of getting some answers.

Fortunately, no Ouija board was needed to solve this mystery when Alf and Ryder also came face-to-face with Evan's lookalike - who is very much alive and not a ghostly apparition. (For once in Home and Away.)

When the man introduced himself as Owen, he explained that he'd come to the Bay purely by chance while travelling. He'd felt drawn to the area while driving past (spooky!), so crossed paths with Evan's loved ones purely as a coincidence.

All started to become clear as Ryder suddenly remembered that Evan was adopted. He immediately figured out that Owen is probably Evan's long-lost twin, who didn't get a chance to meet him and never even knew he existed.

Owen denied being adopted himself, but Ryder suspected he was never told the full story of his background by his parents, who have since passed away.

Our verdict? All pretty confusing, but at least it's nowhere near as head-spinning as Neighbours' Fake Dee saga.

Home and Away spoilers - what's next for Owen?

Home and Away bosses haven't revealed too much about their plans for Owen so far. He's currently credited as a guest character, but has decided to stick around in the Bay for a short time while he gets his head around the revelations about his secret family member.

This looks likely to cause problems for Roo, who's struggling with the resemblance that Owen shares with Evan. His presence in the Bay is bringing back emotions that she hasn't fully processed, after being with Evan during his final moments.

Official teaser spoilers released by the show have revealed that Owen will start to seek further answers from the Stewarts about his family background in upcoming episodes, while Roo tries to deal with her grief. It seems like things are about to get complicated.

What has Cameron Daddo said about his new role?

Cameron has the unusual honour of playing two roles in Home and Away in quick succession - and he couldn't be happier with the way things have turned out.

The actor had previously told Digital Spy that he wished he could have stuck around as Evan for longer, as he loved his time playing the role. Looks like the creation of lookalike Owen was the next best thing.

In a recent interview with Woman's Day, Cameron explained: "Fortunately, I had some time between playing the two characters. I was able to put Evan 'to bed' and then create the backstory of Owen. Thankfully, I never played the two at the same time. Now that would have been fun!

"When I began the journey of Evan, I understood there was going to be an end. After a couple of weeks, I found myself wanting them to find 'a cure', or way to extend my time in the Bay. It was such a fun and creative place to work.

"I was thrilled when the idea of Owen was pitched to me."

Home and Away airs weekdays at 1.15pm and 6pm on Channel 5 (UK) and Monday to Thursday at 7pm on Channel 7 (Australia).
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 27-08-2020 at 23:53.

Nowtolove.com.au article:

AUST PACE!

Home And Away's Roo discovers she's not seeing ghosts she's seeing double as Evan's SECRET twin Owen is found
    ?He arrives and is confronted by this bombshell.

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebri...win-owen-65071

The twists about Evan's life continue to pile up this week when his long-lost brother discovers their family history. And sadly, Roo doesn't handle it well.

In recent episodes of Home And Away, Roo (Georgie Parker) believed her grief over Evan's (Cameron Daddo) death was causing her to have hallucinations, imagining she could see him.

But nothing could have prepared her to meet his twin brother Owen ? and in Summer Bay no less!

At the caravan park, Marilyn (Emily Symons) delivers an envelope to Owen containing information about his family. It's confirmation that he's Evan's twin and that they were separated at birth, each adopted by a different family.

"As far as Owen was concerned, he's an only child and both of his parents have passed away," Cameron, 55, tells TV WEEK. "He arrives and is confronted by this bombshell. He can't deny what he's hearing and seeing; it's too real."

That afternoon, Owen shares his news with Roo, Alf (Ray Meagher) and Ryder (Lukas Radovich), who stare in disbelief. Roo does her best to contain her emotions, but when no-one is looking, she sheds a quiet tear?

Ryder encourages Owen to learn more about his brother and presents him with his father's guitar.

Together, they exchange stories about their lives and celebrate the brother Owen never got to meet.

"Owen has no way of asking his parents about it, so he turns to Ryder and Roo for answers," Cameron explains. "Both of them are tentative towards him and Roo struggles to help him. It's incredibly confronting for everyone."

Back home, Roo confesses to Alf her true feelings for Evan. Perhaps, she did love him after all and now it's too late?

How will she move on from her grief with the arrival of his twin?

And:

Home and Away's Roo Stewart to address unresolved feelings for Evan as twin storyline continues
    "It's incredibly confronting for everyone."

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...feelings-evan/
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 01-09-2020 at 01:19.

Thread Information