Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19: Coronavirus 2020

Covid-19: Coronavirus 2020

Just wanted to start a thread for everyone to share their experiences, worries or just general rants as you are stuck at home and have cabin fever.
    Super Mod

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

lizann (20-03-2020), Pantherboy (20-03-2020)

Well, we've just had to close our theatre with no guarantee we'll ever open again unless we get some help. https://www.clactonandfrintongazette...cancel-events/
    Last edited by parkerman; 20-03-2020 at 12:57. Reason: spelling!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

lizann (20-03-2020), Pantherboy (20-03-2020)

So for my friends in the UK and elsewhere that are hearing and asking about what is happening over here in Spain. This is the reality...

Yes we are in total lock down - quarantine...

What does that mean?

*Well everything is closed apart from pharmacies, supermarkets, petrol stations.

*All bars and restaurants and shops are closed.

*We are not allowed to leave the house unless it's to buy food or an emergency.

*We are not allowed more than 1 person in a car.

*We are only allowed to walk our pets within 50 metres of our house and a just you and your dog or dogs. You cannot be walking with another person .

*We are not allowed to just take a walk or a bike ride to get fresh air.

*All children's outdoor parks are closed as are schools. Beaches are closed.

*In supermarkets you cannot enter unless you are wearing gloves and put sanitiser on. They are provided at the door.

*At the pharmacy tape 2m apart outside door, only one person can enter at a time and only go 1m away from the counter (I actually got my meds passed to me via a huge fishing net, having dropped my prescription in there first. Payment was made via the fishing net too).

*The majority of us have suddenly found ourselves with no work.

*In supermarkets and queues we have to stay in single file with a 2 metre distance between each person.

*Many hospital appointments have been cancelled.

*Medical centres and doctors surgeries are closed except for emergencies.

*There are hefty fines if you do not abide by the rules.

*We have police patrols and the military out and about enforcing these rules.

Even under these conditions we are still able to communicate with each other via the phone or internet. A telephone call or a message can go a long way to show someone they are not alone.

Some of us even communicate support for all the service workers who are currently serving us still; often under extreme conditions.

Such as the hospital and medical staff, those on duty at medical centres and surgeries, the police and the military, the politicians searching for solutions and the researchers testing and working to create a vaccine.

This support is communicated via applause, whistles and the banging together of saucepans or lids, at a designated time each night with people going into their gardens, or onto their balconies or rooftops if they are able to.

So you see it's not all bad.........people are supporting each other as best they can.

Be safe and do what you are asked to do to minimise risk to yourself and others.

YOU may be OK ....what about the person you are standing next to?

And please, do NOT panic buy.. there is no need, to see a nurse after 48 hours shift not being able to get anything to eat for herself was one of the most upsetting things I have seen on tv today. The supermarkets get fresh deliveries every day .. so just get what you need and maybe a tiny bit more but be considerate and leave stuff for those that cannot afford to buy a lot or do not have the time due to work commitments to go every day.

If you are healthy and fit ask yourself what can you do to support those in your community who may not be, or indeed are not?

#socialdistancing .........it works to slow down the spread, to #flattenthecurve

Today, 20th March 2020 I have lived under these conditions for 1 week now. Meant to be for another week but getting more and more doubtful that these restrictions will be lifted .. more like Easter time at least if not even longer, some predict 3 months

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (23-03-2020), lizann (20-03-2020), Pantherboy (20-03-2020), Ruffed_lemur (21-03-2020), tammyy2j (25-03-2020)

it's frightening, wiping masses worldwide, spreading so fast, was it from a chinese bat? take care

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (23-03-2020), Pantherboy (20-03-2020), Perdita (20-03-2020), tammyy2j (25-03-2020)

Wow, Perdita. I am a bit lost for words. With 80-90 percent of cases being 'imported' from overseas, they have closed the border here in Australia to non-citizens, but are letting Aussies return to Aust, who then have to self-isolate for 14 days (let's hope they do as instructed!). Consequently they are expecting the number of cases to spike from those people returning etc. The challenge now is to try & stem the flow/spread from person to person by social distancing etc (with the rules changing regularly). The rates of infection are rising exponentially, but they hope the social distancing will slow that down - but that of course will depend on everybody doing the right thing...We haven't been put into total lockdown as yet ie everyone, other than people in essential services, being told to stay at home...although there are people saying we should be doing just that. We will see how that changes in the coming days & weeks. Meanwhile, the panic buying continues unabated & they are now limiting the amount of medicines you can buy.Take care of yourself Perdita & the same for everyone out there...

EDIT: They have just announced they are closing Bondi Beach here in Sydney, after it was packed yesterday (it was 35 degrees on Friday) even after they told everyone not to congregate in large numbers/practice social distancing etc - madness!
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 21-03-2020 at 03:01.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (23-03-2020), lizann (23-03-2020), Perdita (21-03-2020), Ruffed_lemur (23-03-2020)

We, here in germany, are not in complete lockdown but have strict measures in place. All non essential shops are close, social distance of 2m and no more than 2 in a group (unless it is direct family).
    Shops are coping well where I am. Out of pasta, rice and flour but most other products are available.
    They have marked the floors in supermarkets to show you how much of a distance is needed and a lot of cashiers have plexiglass in front of them. All wear gloves and have hand sanitizer at the checkout.
    I read in that in Denmark they found a way to stop hoarders. They increase the price of extra items to stupid amount so for example 1 pack of TP would be your normal price but if you take 2 packs it can cost you 150 quid. I like this
    Super Mod

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (23-03-2020), Pantherboy (23-03-2020), Perdita (26-03-2020), Ruffed_lemur (23-03-2020)

us will surpass italy and china, trump didn't prepare or act well just like boris, all airports should have shut completely early especially to countries highly infected, irish idiots were still flying off to ski in italy

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Siobhan (25-03-2020), tammyy2j (25-03-2020)

Not sure about UK or Germany but here in Spain we can buy Hydrogen Peroxide in any supermarket for less than a Euro/Pound. Peroxide over 3% will kill more germs and viruses than other stuff. Buy some of that (but please do not bulk buy). I put some on kitchen paper and wipe down the kitchen surfaces, kettle, laptop, mobile phone .. etc. I find it incredible that Boris Johnson is still allowing people to mix and use public transport and not keep any distance to the next person. It is worrying what is going on but I am more worried about family and friends in UK because of morons not heeding advice...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Siobhan (26-03-2020)

stay at home stay apart wash hands social distancing #flattenthecurve

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (23-03-2020), Pantherboy (25-03-2020), Perdita (24-03-2020), Siobhan (26-03-2020), tammyy2j (25-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    us will surpass italy and china, trump didn't prepare or act well just like boris, all airports should have shut completely early especially to countries highly infected, irish idiots were still flying off to ski in italy
    And now he wants to stop all actions and just got back to normal.. he is an idiot
    Super Mod

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Siobhan For This Useful Post:

lizann (25-03-2020), Pantherboy (25-03-2020), parkerman (25-03-2020), tammyy2j (25-03-2020)

Thread Information