Whenever soaps announce new castings, especially with actors who have been in The Business for some time, we like to do some digging and find out which soaps they've been in before and/or which of their new co-stars they've previously worked with.

And Hollyoaks' newest casting announcement has definitely provided us with lots of juicy trivia, so let's dive right in.

Today (February 11) the Channel 4 soap confirmed that Kyle Kelly's (Adam Rickitt) parents Mark and Carole will be joining the show, and shared a first photo of the family all together.

Lime Pictures

"It's National Make A Friend Day today and we have TWO new friends for you!" read the announcement on social media.

"Kyle's mum and dad... Played by Chris Quinten and Diana Weston, will joining us on Hollyoaks! But do you recognise them?"

We certainly do recognise them. Chris Quinten used to be in Coronation Street where he played Brian Tilsley from 1978 to 1989. Of course, Corrie fans will known that Brian is the father of Nick Tilsley, who used to be played by... Kyle Kelly actor Adam Rickitt!

Brian was ultimately murdered in 1989, which was long before Adam was cast as the shirt-averse version of Nick that we all knew and loved, but it's still a father-and-son soap reunion we like to see.

"This is one of the more surreal experiences of my career. After 23 years, I finally get to meet my first onscreen dad, which is truly bizarre," Adam said in a statement.

"It's an honour to have such well-established actors like Chris and Diana come in to play my parents and I've really enjoyed the scenes we've filmed so far. Plus at least having parents in the show means Kyle has an excuse to regress into adolescence, which comes quite easily to him."

Chris Quinten added: "I've thoroughly enjoyed the scenes I've filmed so far at Hollyoaks, I already love the show and all of the cast, crew and production staff are fantastic and so friendly.

Hollyoaks

@Hollyoaks
It’s National Make A Friend Day today and we have TWO new friends for you! Kyle’s mum and dad... Played by Chris Quinten and Diana Weston, will joining us on Hollyoaks! But do you recognise them? 😍 #NationalMakeAFriendDay #Hollyoaks

View image on Twitter
15:28 - 11 Feb 2020
Twitter Ads information and privacy
72 people are talking about this
"Working with Adam after first playing 'his' dad more than thirty years ago is a dream come true, it's a brilliant piece of soap nostalgia, which I hope everyone enjoys," Chris continued.

"I think Mark and Carole will really give viewers an insight into why Kyle became the man he is today, which has been a lot of fun to play and I'm looking forward to doing more."

Meanwhile, Kyle's mum Carole will be played by Diana Weston. Although she doesn't have an Adam Rickitt connection from what we can see, she was in 1990s series The Upper Hand alongside Joe McGann, who recently joined Hollyoaks as Tony Hutchinson's dad Edward.

Joe's casting in Hollyoaks also brought about another big reunion as he was reunited with Lysette Anthony, who plays Marnie Nightingale, who he starred alongside in Night and Day.

Small world, eh?