Thread: Derek (Tommy Cannon)

Exclamation Derek (Tommy Cannon)

Emmerdale is about to get a visit from British comedy royalty, as comedian Tommy Cannon is heading to the Dales for a guest stint.

Tommy, who is known as one half of comedy duo Cannon and Ball, let the news slip on his Twitter page in a message that has since been deleted, and revealed he'll be playing the part of 'Derek' during his short stint on the show.

"Excited to be able to announce that I'm doing a brief stint as 'Derek' in @emmerdale !! Spending some time in the dales," the tweet read (via FemaleFirst).

But although that tweet has since been taken down, the replies of many of Tommy's excited fans and future co-stars are still up on the website, including a message from Bobby Ball himself.

"Can't wait to see Tommy in Emmerdale," he shared. "I am so chuffed for him."

Also sharing their congratulations and support of the news on social media were Emmerdale stars Karen Blick, who plays Lydia Hart, who wrote: "Brilliant news," while Dean Andrews, who plays Will Taylor, added: "Welcome Tommy."

Paddy McGuinness also tweeted a message to the comedian, who responded by saying: "Cheers Paddy!! Hope you're well."

Cheers Paddy!! Hope you’re well x

Cannon and Ball rose to fame while airing their popular variety show, The Cannon and Ball Show, between 1979 and 1988, and they've continued to star together in several shows and films since, including in 1982's The Boys in Blue and on The Kenny Everett Show and Shooting Stars.

As a duo, Cannon and Ball have also appeared on I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here! in the show's fifth series, as well as appearing in the third series of Celebrity Coach Trip in 2012 too.

As a solo star, Tommy also made an appearance in BBC One comedy series Not Going Out, as well as featuring in Doctors in 2014, and starring on Celebrity MasterChef in 2016 as well.

Digital Spy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (09-08-2019)

Derek, one of Manpreet’s regular patients, falls ill from salmonella poisoning. He passes away, leaving Manpreet to sort through her patient’s belongings.

what was point of that brief very brief appearance, waste of his talent

I was hoping he would be around longer, Derek was a good character from what we saw of him

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    I was hoping he would be around longer, Derek was a good character from what we saw of him
    only ever was meant to be a guest appearance and I did not ever rate Tommy as much of a comedian, even less as actor ... sorry Tommy

Thread Information