Thread: Edward Hutchinson (Joe McGann)

Exclamation Edward Hutchinson (Joe McGann)

Hollyoaks bosses have cast actor Joe McGann as Tony Hutchinson's estranged father, Digital Spy can exclusively reveal.

The Liverpool-born performer has landed the role of surgeon Edward Hutchinson and will make his first appearance on the Channel 4 soap later this year.

Announcing the big news, Joe told Digital Spy: "I'm so looking forward to joining the cast of Hollyoaks.

"It's such a great team on both sides of the camera, and I hope to fit in. My mum is really proud to have a surgeon in the family."

Hollyoaks' executive producer Bryan Kirkwood added: "Tony Hutchinson, played by the hugely talented Nick Pickard, has been at the heart of Hollyoaks since it began. He is estranged from his father and we felt that as we approach Hollyoaks' 25th anniversary next year, it is time to learn more about our biggest character.

"Kind-hearted, sensitive, loveable Tony has in recent years overcome every parent's worst nightmare, a critically unwell child. He is now happily settled into married life with Diane – in fact, he's never needed a father figure less.

"But in autumn, events will bring Edward Hutchinson to Hollyoaks village and we can't wait to see the phenomenal Joe McGann bring this huge character to life. I'm thrilled to welcome him to the cast."

Joe's previous TV credits include roles in Casualty, Night and Day, The Upper Hand and Rockliffe's Babies. He has also appeared in a number of films, including Puckoon, Food of Love and The Brylcreem Boys.

Hollyoaks' new addition comes from a family of actors, as his brothers Paul, Mark and Stephen are also in the industry. Paul famously played the eighth Doctor in the 1996 Doctor Who television film and recently had his own stint in Soapland on Holby City.

More details about Edward's arrival will be revealed later this year.

In the meantime, the character of Tony currently features prominently in a special new Hollyoaks promo which is due to start airing on Channel 4.

The celebratory trailer gives a nod to Hollyoaks' most iconic themes, including weddings, births, deaths, birthdays, fights and romance.

Many of Hollyoaks' most popular characters feature in the footage, with Tony rightly at the centre of it all as he blows out candles on his birthday.

Digital Spy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (29-08-2019)

I think he will save Tony's life

bird killer

is he after diane, both smitten

Think he'd do good with Marnie - murderer, paedophile and now a psychopath...

He has come into Hollyoaks as a bit of an enigma and there is much more to Edward Hutchinson than meets the eye, Joe McGann was warned us. While Hollyoaks have been clear from the outset that he is a villainous character, Joe has explained to Metro.co.uk that the slow build up and the ambiguity has very much been deliberate. He told us in an interview: ‘The exposition is slow and measured – it might drive some people mad but I think it’s really clever and it means you can underplay. You don’t have to force it at people. Edward 100% loves Diane. That’s the bit that’s not on the page. He loves that she is strong, independent, forthright and outspoken – and how she has weathered the storm. Being the narcissist he is, he is used to being in control so this thing with Diane surprised him. He didn’t move to Hollyoaks with the idea of sweeping her off her feet. There’s a discovery which we see in the Later episode where Verity catches them kissing. ‘Verity knows what he’s like and he holds his hands up. It’s never good to overhear things about yourself – and he overhears her saying that people will laugh at the age gap. It pisses him off; he has genuine feelings. It brings out quite a nasty side in Edward – he lashes out when he is hurt; that’s what he does.

‘It’s an interesting dynamic. He’s been billed as a villain but there are lot of opportunities to show him being both devious and sympathetic and even to be warm. I’m all for him having a good side. If it’s ambiguous, you have so much more to play with. You see more of a spectrum of him in the Laters.’ But while Edward might have a soft edge to him, the residents of Hollyoaks should be very afraid as Joe has confirmed that we haven’t even scratched the surface of what he is capable of, adding that murder wouldn’t be above him. He teased: ‘The danger from Edward, someone as contained and meticulous as he is, is he isn’t always easy to read but if someone hurts him or causes a chink in his armour, then woe betide all around. He will not stop until he has moved the chess pieces around so it suits him.

‘Expect anything – he will go a long way. He was accused of killing his wife in a plane crash – I don’t think he did, I just think he saved the children and didn’t have time to get to her – but, it’s not the kind of thing he would be above. He is capable of anything.’ Off screen, Joe is loving getting his teeth into the role – and he has high praise for the cast and crew, particularly Nick Pickard, who plays his on screen son Tony. He enthused: ‘Nick is a delight, he knows exactly what he’s doing and he’s fun to be around. You need someone like that in any company. He is the epitome of a team player. This is one of the best working atmospheres I have ever been in. No-one’s denying it can be tough delivering five episodes a week and it’s relentless. A huge percentage of the people here are wonderful, happy to be here and good at the job.’

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/06/holly...cgann-12010155

https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/08/holly...inson-13722287

im guessing offed by verity or diane at christmas

Thread Information