Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgie Stone - MacKenzie

Georgie Stone - MacKenzie

Digital Spy article:

Georgie Stone to play character Mackenzie Hargreaves.

Neighbours to introduce its first transgender character as Georgie Stone joins the soap in guest role
    She hopes the story can "teach other people how to treat trans young people".

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/nei...ne-guest-role/

Neighbours has broken ground with its LGBTQ+ representation through Aaron and David's relationship, and now they are taking it one step further.

The Australian soap is set to introduce its first ever transgender character this year, after transgender role model Georgie Stone approached the show's executives a year ago to discuss introducing the character.

Georgie is known as Australia's youngest ever person to receive hormone blockers and successfully campaigned for a change in the law regarding treatment.

Stone took that pro-active approach in getting her role on Neighbours too, telling the Herald Sun: "I came up with the idea of having a trans young person on the show so I wrote a letter to the executive producer, Jason Herbison, with a few ideas on how it could happen."

Apparently she got a response from the show within two hours of sending that letter, which is crazy.

"Both my parents have been on Neighbours so I have grown up with the show," Stone added.

When watching it I could see that essentially, amid all the drama and soapy stuff, it is about human stories and genuine stories that reflect the viewers and society as a whole, so I thought this would be a great opportunity to tell a story that isn’t often told on Australian TV."

Georgie will start filming for her guest role on the soap in June, and she will appear on screens for the first time later in the year.

"When I was growing up as a trans young person, I did not see anyone out there who I could relate to," she continued.

"There was no one on Australian TV screens, on any TV screens really, that had a positive depiction of a trans person, specifically a trans young person. There was no one who I could connect to and I felt quite isolated because of that, so that is why I am so excited about this opportunity."

She added: "Yes, it is breaking new ground, it is a great story, and people will really like it, but I really hope that there will be some trans young people out there who have felt isolated before and then see this character and feel that they are not alone, or that they feel OK to be who they are, and that this story can teach other people how to treat trans young people."

Neighbours' executive producer Jason Herbison also commented on the casting, praising Georgie as an "exceptional young woman".

"Georgie approached us last year regarding a guest role and I could see she was passionate about acting," he said. "Seeing her talent during the audition process, I knew she would be able to tell the story truthfully and authentically."

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

and:

'It's breaking new ground, and people will really like it!' Transgender rights advocate Georgie Stone, 18, will star as the first trans character on iconic soap Neighbours after she personally pitched the idea to executives

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...eighbours.html
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 18-06-2019 at 04:27.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

kaz21 (23-03-2019), lizann (24-03-2019), MellBee (23-03-2019), Ruffed_lemur (24-03-2019), tammyy2j (14-08-2019), thestud2k7 (24-03-2019), zodiac999 (24-03-2019)

So Neighbours is propaganda promoting mental illness now? We shouldn't be normalising this. After transitioning and hormone treatment, suicide rates are still through the roof. It's not a solution.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CuriousCase For This Useful Post:

Anne N (24-03-2019), courseiam (04-09-2019)

You ever think the suicide rates are like that because of people like you who spread hate when they are just trying their best to be happy with themselves?

Everyone is welcome on Ramsay St... remember that.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kyzaah For This Useful Post:

AnnieL (14-08-2019), Aussieguy (25-03-2019), HarryHedgehog (08-04-2019), kaz21 (24-03-2019), lizann (24-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCase View Post
    So Neighbours is propaganda promoting mental illness now? We shouldn't be normalising this. After transitioning and hormone treatment, suicide rates are still through the roof. It's not a solution.
    Until you have been through it. You should keep your mouth shut. It’s people like you, that are pushing suicide up.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kaz21 For This Useful Post:

Aussieguy (25-03-2019), Kyzaah (24-03-2019)

A great move by Neighbours. Gay and lesbian people are now almost mainstream and we need to do the same for transgender people.

“If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” ~Mother Theresa

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aussieguy For This Useful Post:

HarryHedgehog (08-04-2019), vampted (13-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzaah View Post
    You ever think the suicide rates are like that because of people like you who spread hate when they are just trying their best to be happy with themselves?

Everyone is welcome on Ramsay St... remember that.
    everybody loves good neighbours

You're right, I'm spreading hate because I don't want people to kill themselves with an ill-advised treatment/solution to a much deeper issue. Grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by kaz21 View Post
    Until you have been through it. You should keep your mouth shut. It’s people like you, that are pushing suicide up.
    So to understand the issues surrounding transgenderism, I need to convert and then kill myself because I realised it didn't solve anything? It's people like me who are trying to find a solution that doesn't result in their suicides instead of blindly following the SJW who sugar coat the dangers of an (unattainable) utopia.

Self mutilation shouldn't be normalised.

I didn’t say, kill yourself. It’s not a mental health issue.

Quote Originally Posted by kaz21 View Post
    I didn’t say, kill yourself. It’s not a mental health issue.
    Actually, gender dysphoria is a mental disorder according to the American Psychiatric Association, publisher of the universally accepted Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

And with good reason. There should be treatment to actually treat the psychological distresses associated with the feelings of being placed in the wrong body.

Thread Information