https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifest...KlqzeMf-H8TfrU

A young Welsh actor and producer making his mark on Hollywood has landed a part in Coronation Street after roles in big name TV series like Grey's Anatomy and Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders.

Luca Malacrino, currently starring in Amazon hit indie feature Elephants, will begin his first ever British role on the beloved soap next month.

Luca, from Cardiff, relocated to LA just over four years ago with barely any acting experience, after years of running nightclubs in the Welsh capital.

He took a class at Chapter Arts Centre in Cardiff, debuted in a performance at St David’s Hall, sold his house and moved to Tinseltown to pursue his dreams.

The Welsh writer who brings some of Coronation Street's greatest characters to life

Sixteen months later, he’d graduated from Los Angeles’ AMDA College and Conservatory of the Performing Arts and within days of graduating started to earn credits across stage, TV and film.

In 2017, he appeared in the award-winning hospital drama Grey’s Anatomy; played the son of one of his idols, Goodfellas’ Paul Sorvino in Criminal Minds Beyond Borders, and joined the cast of Francis Ford Coppola’s epic experimental ‘live cinema’ film project, Distant Vision.

Last year, he appeared in Jim Carrey’s I’m Dying Up Here, a comedy series about a group of ’70s stand-up comedians where he played a British TV agent from the ’60s.

Now he’s preparing to be closer to home for the next few months, having joined the Weatherfield cast at ITV Studios, as well as promoting his first self-produced feature film Elephants, on home soil.

The former St David’s Catholic College pupil found out Coronation Street wanted to see him for the role last November.

"I rang my mum in Cardiff and asked her if she thought taking the next flight out to audition for Coronation Street was a good idea. She said: 'I don't know why, but I have a really good feeling about this one'. So I booked the next flight out.”

Producers on Britain’s longest-running soap have sworn Luca to secrecy about the details of the newest addition to the cobbles, but he can reveal he’ll appear in multiple episodes as a recurring Italian character “full of passion, style and charisma.”

This month, Luca joined the Corrie cast to film two episodes and is due to make his debut in the second episode airing Wednesday, February 6.

In the meantime, viewers can catch him in his first self-produced movie, Elephants, a sweet indie romance from writer/director Alex Hanno that follows a young couple trying to rekindle their relationship after three years apart.

The duo, plus film-maker Rebecca Hardy (who was Luca’s first ever acting coach, on the Chapter Arts course) are currently in development on their next feature film, A Sanctuary for Water Voles.

The quirky comedy is due to shoot in Cardiff and Pembrokeshire, largely thanks to Luca’s ambition to film on home soil.

“Living in LA has given me an even bigger appreciation for Wales, and I want to do my part to showcase the talents of this beautiful country, both in front of, and behind the camera,” said Luca, a member of BAFTA's Newcomers Programme.

“It’s my dream to create a series of films here throughout my career.”

But before that, he’s looking forward to taking his place in Britain’s most-watched soap.

“In Hollywood I’ve played a psychopathic murderer, a ’60s British agent and an ex-con from Brooklyn so it’ll be great to get stuck into a completely different role on Coronation Street,” said Luca, a lifelong fan of the show. “Around eight million people watch it per week, which is a pretty brilliant feeling. I can’t wait to show what I can do with this character.

“He’s fiery, Italian, stylish, and a lot of fun.”

See Luca on Coronation Street on February 6.