Emmerdale is tagging a veteran of the Royal Shakespeare Company to get into the ring as Paddy Kirk's possible dad.

The bombshell was dropped by Mandy Dingle last week that Paddy's father may have been a wrestler known as the Bear Wolf — which obviously came as a huge shock to Marlon (Mark Charnock), Chas (Lucy Pargeter) and, of course, Paddy himself (Dominic Brunt).

In order to find out the truth, Marlon and Chas are going to convince Paddy to set off to a wrestling convention in Belfast so he can get answers from the Bear Wolf man-to-man!

The ageing pro wrestler will be played by accomplished RSC member Joshua Richards, whose impressive CV also includes A Very English Scandal, Panic Button and Troy.

"We are absolutely delighted to have an actor of Joshua's calibre join our show," producer Kate Brooks announced today (January 15). "An actor of immense talent and charisma, he's a brilliant addition to the Emmerdale team."

This storyline will see Paddy and select cast members filming on location in Northern Ireland, where they'll encounter the Bear Wolf… as well as the potential for a familiar face.

"I am delighted to be joining the cast of Emmerdale," Joshua said. "Having been based in Yorkshire for most of my life, it's fantastic to now be filming there too.

"Bear Wolf is a great character and I am looking forward to seeing what's in store for him."

The Bear Wolf will first be seen on screen beginning in February.

Digital Spy