Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paul Foreman (Peter Ash)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    Paul Foreman to be diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease
    Sad but good from Corrie to highlight this disease. Shame he will be killed off though as I really like the character

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (24-03-2023)

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/cor...xit-storyline/

Coronation Street producer Iain MacLeod has revealed the future of Paul's exit storyline.

It has been confirmed that cast member Peter Ash will be leaving the ITV soap as part of an issue-based storyline to play out over the coming months.

Viewers have already seen Paul struggling to recover from a recent car accident, but he will learn in April that some of these complications are due to a life-shortening motor neurone disease.

Motor neurone disease (or MND) is a fatal condition that rapidly impacts the brain and spinal cord, but can be more challenging to diagnose because it does not typically impact sight, sound and feeling.

Approximately 35% of people diagnosed with MND experience cognitive and behavioural changes. Many eventually can have trouble talking, moving or even breathing.

When Paul receives the diagnosis, he initially resolves to keep it a secret from partner Billy and his family, with viewers set to follow the progression of the disease as he must eventually confide in loved ones.

Producer Iain MacLeod and the Corrie team are working with the MND Association to accurately reflect the physical and emotional challenges Paul will face following his diagnosis.

"Motor Neurone Disease is something that many people might have heard of but perhaps don?t know a lot about, even given the recent cases of public figures talking about their experiences of living with the condition," the producer explained.

"A show like Coronation Street is uniquely placed to show the day-to-day reality of dealing with an illness that gradually and progressively erodes the physical attributes that you perhaps take for granted, changing forever the way you interact with the world around you."

MacLeod also spoke about why Paul is so intent on keeping the diagnosis from his loved ones while he processes what his future will look like.

"At first, Paul ? who as a builder, relies entirely on his physicality for his livelihood ? will massively go off the rails in a misplaced bid to ensure he isn?t a burden on his loved ones," he said.

"But in the end, they will be the ones to put him back together emotionally. We are committed to portraying in a long-term, sensitive way the effects of this condition on Paul and his family and friends, not shying away from the sometimes painful reality of what his life will be like. We have been privileged to work with the Motor Neurone Disease Association ? including talking to people who have the condition and their families - to ensure we do justice to people?s real-life experiences.?

MND Association Director of External Affairs Chris James also addressed the collaboration with Coronation Street: "We are really grateful to the team at Coronation Street for choosing to tackle this difficult subject. Putting MND in front of millions of viewers every week will raise incredible awareness and help educate people who have never come across this disease ? showing the day to day reality for those living with it and the impact on their families, friends and neighbours too.

?The Coronation Street team has been incredibly responsible when considering storylines, scenarios and scripts, spending a lot of time talking to us and members of the MND community to ensure the onscreen portrayal of MND is realistic, sympathetic and sensitive.?

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Sad but good from Corrie to highlight this disease. Shame he will be killed off though as I really like the character
    it's billy and summer i don't want to see involved, their over dramatics, over bad acting

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Perdita (25-03-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    it's billy and summer i don't want to see involved, their over dramatics, over bad acting
    Todd as well ...

Todd as well ...
    i don't mind him that much and he isn't his biggest fan or friend

paul asks billy to assist with his suicide

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/cor...billy-wedding/

Coronation Street is gearing up for its first gay marriage storyline, with wedding bells in store for Weatherfield couple Paul Foreman and Billy Mayhew.

Next week, viewers are set to see the two sit down for a serious conversation, where the two discuss their future as Paul's Motor Neurone Disease (MND) continues to develop.

The couple's chat comes about after Paul's conversation with fellow MND patient Shelly at the support group, who encourages Paul to take control and do something he has always wanted to do.

Billy believes Paul is going to propose to him and pulls out all the stops, but it turns out Paul has something big to ask of Billy before he asks him to become his husband.

"When Paul says I've got something I need to ask you, Billy automatically assumes that it's going to be a proposal," says Daniel Brocklebank, who plays Billy. "He gets so excited. He gets himself all dolled up. He lights a candle.

"And then Paul basically asks him to help him kill himself when the time comes. That was not what he was expecting. But eventually Paul does ask him to marry him and he is thrilled."

Billy says yes to Paul's proposal and the two immediately begin talking wedding plans, but despite their shared joy, there is an element of sadness for both parties about the upcoming nuptials.

"I think, again, I think it comes down to the fact that Paul is dying," Brocklebank says. "And on some level, of course, he would like to get married in a church. That is, of course, his ideal wedding.

"But knowing that it's not possible, I suppose marrying a man that you love, even if in a non-religious setting is better than not marrying him at all."

It's not the first time a gay wedding day on the cobbles has occurred, but it's hopefully the first that successfully goes ahead. Viewers will remember Sian and Sophie making it to the altar, but a marriage didn't materialise.

Actor Daniel Brocklebank admits he feels "slightly honoured" to help bring the first Corrie gay wedding to screens.

"I'm thrilled," he says. "I mean, obviously there's been long running gay characters in the show, prior to Billy with Todd and Sean and also Sophie. And I'm thrilled that we are going to finally have a wedding.

"Billy has been on the other side of the altar for so many it seems fitting for him to have the first one, and with him being a religious man it is significant in that way too."

Brocklebank jokes that Billy doesn't exactly have the best track record with the husband and wife duos of Weatherfield.

"He hasn't been the best omen at weddings," he says. "Most of the ones he has officiated at haven't ended well! Let?s hope that doesn?t jinx it."

Coronation Street has been working on Paul's storyline with support from the MND Association, which focuses on improving access to care, research and campaigning for people affected by motor neurone disease.

The charity's helpline MND Connect (0808 802 6262) is available Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm, and 7pm to 10.30pm. Calls are free.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/cor...istmas-scenes/

Coronation Street star Peter Ash has confirmed it will be an emotional Christmas this year for his character Paul Foreman.

As regular viewers will know, Paul was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease (MND) in April and has been struggling both physically and mentally ever since.

During a recent appearance on Good Morning Britain, Ash revealed that he's already begun filming Paul's Christmas storyline ? though it sadly won't be filled with much festive cheer.

"It's quite a sad Christmas really, for Paul. He finds out that he's got six to 12 months left, so it's looking likely this could be his last Christmas," the soap star explained.

"So for him, it's just making the most of every little moment and spending it with the family and kids."

In happier news, Paul officially tied the knot with Billy Mayhew earlier this month, marking the ITV soap's first gay marriage storyline.

Speaking about how it feels to be a part of this milestone moment for the show, Daniel Brocklebank, who plays Billy, told Digital Spy: "I'm thrilled. It amazes me that this is the first one, to be perfectly honest.

"Corrie has always been such a trailblazer in terms of LGBTQ+ characters. I mean, with Hayley, how long ago was that?

"There's Sean and Todd and all of these historical characters in the show, so I'm amazed that this is the first one."

"I'm thrilled to be part of it," he added. "What an honour to be part of Corrie's first ever not just male gay wedding, but successful one. One that actually happened!"

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/cor...astating-news/

Coronation Street is lining up a sad storyline for the end of the year concerning Paul Foreman's Motor Neurone Disease (MND) diagnosis.

In upcoming episodes of the ITV soap, Paul is set to receive some terrible news that will alter the course of the next few months. In a chat with his nurse about the progression of his MND, he's told he only has six to 12 months left to live.

In new scenes, Bernie Winter tells the police they will have to wait as she's determined to accompany Paul to see his speech therapist. Concerned about his coughing fits, the therapist insists Paul have an appointment with the MND nurse.

Meanwhile, Billy Mayhew is delighted when the bishop tells him he's ready to lift his suspension so he can go back to work. However, his happiness is short-lived as he receives a call from Bernie, who's at the hospital with Paul.

Billy is informed Paul doesn't have long left to live and that the next Christmas could be their last together.

Speaking about the storyline, Corrie producer Iain MacLeod explained how the soap is making sure to portray the illness as accurately as possible, showing Paul's progression in details.

"We're taking great care to show that in as much detail as we can, because as a soap we're in a position to do that," MacLeod said.

"We're not a drama where you have 90 minutes to tell a two-year decline ? you can show the day-to-day progression of illnesses like Paul's."

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/cor...astating-news/

Coronation Street is lining up a sad storyline for the end of the year concerning Paul Foreman's Motor Neurone Disease (MND) diagnosis.

In upcoming episodes of the ITV soap, Paul is set to receive some terrible news that will alter the course of the next few months. In a chat with his nurse about the progression of his MND, he's told he only has six to 12 months left to live.

In new scenes, Bernie Winter tells the police they will have to wait as she's determined to accompany Paul to see his speech therapist. Concerned about his coughing fits, the therapist insists Paul have an appointment with the MND nurse.

Meanwhile, Billy Mayhew is delighted when the bishop tells him he's ready to lift his suspension so he can go back to work. However, his happiness is short-lived as he receives a call from Bernie, who's at the hospital with Paul.

Billy is informed Paul doesn't have long left to live and that the next Christmas could be their last together.

Speaking about the storyline, Corrie producer Iain MacLeod explained how the soap is making sure to portray the illness as accurately as possible, showing Paul's progression in details.

"We're taking great care to show that in as much detail as we can, because as a soap we're in a position to do that," MacLeod said.

"We're not a drama where you have 90 minutes to tell a two-year decline ? you can show the day-to-day progression of illnesses like Paul's."
    Indeed! They could have shown the decline of Paul's condition for longer too. Disappointing outcome, but not surprised.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruffed_lemur For This Useful Post:

Perdita (03-11-2023)

Thread Information