https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/cor...n-cassie-rift/

Coronation Street is lining up a new rift between Evelyn Plummer and daughter Cassie.

The ITV soap has kicked off a new dognapping storyline this week, as Evelyn ends up taking a dog off villainous new character Terry after seeing him mistreating the animal.

Yet Evelyn puts herself in danger by crossing Terry as he starts to threaten her and her family, with the storyline leading to Evelyn and Cassie discovering a puppy farm.

However, while mother and daughter join forces, star Dame Maureen Lipman has revealed that it won't be the start of a positive step in their relationship.

"I can tell you that that does not last because Cassie is a chip off the old block but to some degree an extended version of Evelyn and she goes too far and that endangers Evelyn's life and gets her into more trouble," she explained.

"Blood is thicker than water in Coronation Street but they do fall out over this, even though they are in it together, simply because she goes farther than Evelyn would have done."

The soap has been collaborating with animal welfare charity the RSPCA on the new storyline, with Lipman recently revealing that she was shocked to learn about some of the facts around puppy farms.

"I did some research of my own and was shocked by what I discovered," she admitted. "I had not realised that these puppies are sold for ?2,000 a throw and these people are not registered and they're earning billions with puppy farms springing up all over the place."