Hollyoaks has cast Talia Grant in the role of autistic character Brooke Hathaway.

Talia – who is the daughter of vocal couch and TV presenter Carrie Grant – identifies as having high-functioning autism and is the first female actress who is autistic to land a mainstream role on British television.

After being fostered by the Osbornes, Brooke will join other fellow village teens Imran Maalik and Ollie Morgan at Hollyoaks High, under the supervision of formidable headmistress Sally St Claire.

Lime Pictures previously put out an open casting call to find an actress to play the part. They have worked with The National Autistic Society in researching the character and Access All Areas for the auditioning and casting process.

Speaking about the part, Talia said: "I am so excited to be joining Hollyoaks. I have met some of the cast and being on set was fun and everyone was super-nice and made me feel welcome.

"For a long while, there has been no representation on screen of autistic women – especially autistic women of colour. So I am really looking forward to developing the character of Brooke and representing something that perhaps people are unaware of."

Hollyoaks' executive producer Bryan Kirkwood, said: "We are delighted that the search for Brooke uncovered brilliant new talent Talia, whose auditions were joyful.

"She will bring a new different voice into the show and we are very excited about her arrival into the Osbornes where she will bring a secret from the past."

He added:"Brooke is a strong, independent character who has a solid handle on what it means to be a teenage girl with autism and we have worked with Talia on developing her character.

"The best way to describe Brooke's autism is to say that she experiences the world a hundred times more intensely than other people. Every light shines brighter, every smell is stronger – and every word she takes to heart that little bit more.

"Happy times like going out for ice cream with Nancy become cherished experiences for Brooke that she will never stop talking about…but a rude, snappy remark from a teacher will cut Brooke to the core."