Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nick Miles (Jimmy King, 'Emmerdale') DS Interview

Nick Miles (Jimmy King, 'Emmerdale') DS Interview

Jimmy King's loved ones receive the news that they've been praying for in Emmerdale next week as the police reveal that he's been found alive and is being treated at a hospital in Nottingham. However, their relief soon turns to horror when doctors reveal that Jimmy has acute amnesia as a result of a head injury and doesn't remember who he is nor what happened to him. Later, as Jimmy comes face-to-face with wife Nicola and brother Carl, he's forced to admit that they're both strangers to him… DS recently caught up with Nick Miles - who plays Jimmy - to hear more about the intriguing plot twist.

When did you first hear that this amnesia storyline was in store for Jimmy?
    "A long time ago! Our late producer Gavin Blyth spoke to me about this in September last year. He was very cautious about it but very excited at the same time. So it's been quite a long time that I've known it was coming up. I think they referred to it for ages as the 'Jimmy Who?' story!"

What was your initial reaction to the storyline?
    "I was a bit like Gav, really - I was excited but also a little bit trepidatious. It's one of those topics that it's rare to do a story about. My main concern was that I did a decent amount of research and knew what I was doing."

Can you tell us a bit about that research?
    "I read some of the work of the neurologist Oliver Sacks and there were also a couple of real-life cases that I read about, particularly a guy in America who hasn't known who he is for 15 years and nobody can find out who he is. So I read a few case histories. But there's not an awful lot you can do, because neurologists themselves know very little about it. Most neurologists will only have seen a few cases ever, and the cases are all different. So there was only a limited amount that I could do."

After doing the research and seeing how amnesia can affect people in real life, do you think it's an important topic for a soap to address?
    "Up to a point. It does happen in normal life, but it is quite rare and an awful lot of the amnesia cases turn out to be hoaxes - in fact, the majority are hoaxes. So it's an interesting one for a soap, but I'm not sure we're doing much social work here, really - that's not what it's about. It's much more about the intriguing way that it leaves Jimmy open with regard to his past. If he doesn't know who he is, he can believe anything that anybody tells him. That makes him very vulnerable."

Is there also a humorous element to the storyline?
    "Well you can't resist it, because there'll be people in the village who don't mind having a quick pop at Jimmy, so there'll be a few jokes along the way. But what I'm much more interested in is the horror of it. Just imagine that the people who are talking to you are strangers - one's telling you that he's your brother, one's saying that she's your wife - but they're completely alien. So, first of all, the paranoia is quite extreme because you don't know what to believe. Also, Carl and Nicola - particularly Carl - have got reason to not tell Jimmy everything. As soon as you begin to suspect that you're not being told everything, the world gets very dark indeed."

How does this affect things for Jimmy and Nicola?
    "Well, he doesn't recognise Nicola at all and he also doesn't recognise his daughter Angelica. He has no feelings for Nicola - he doesn't find her unattractive but, at the same time, she's in his face giving him a lot of pressure to remember, which he finds increasingly intolerable. So the relationship looks like it's in a very bad way, particularly where we are in the storyline at the minute."

Has it been challenging to portray Jimmy as a changed man after so long playing him?
    "Well, he becomes a blank sheet but at the same time, he's not in other ways. He still has a moral centre. I think one of the most important things about Jimmy is that because of his background and what's happened to him in the past, he's decided that he would always try to do the right thing. So that's what you hold on to - when everything about a character is stripped away, you have to ask yourself: 'Who is this person essentially?' And Jimmy essentially is a person who wants to be true and honest, and wants to do the right thing. Another interesting thing is that, within the scripts, there's an open discussion about the nature of your character, which never usually happens because it's normally in subtext. So that's been quite fascinating as well."

Has it been emotional to film scenes where Jimmy doesn't remember Nicola?
    "It's been awful - there were moments that we had to do the other day with Angelica, and we were all in tears. It is difficult because we're great mates, we spend a lot of time together and we've built up a lot of investment in those two characters and their love for each other. So it has been emotional playing this coldness - this absolute non-feeling for Nicola."

And how does the amnesia affect the brotherly relationship between Jimmy and Carl?
    "Well, that's interesting as well because normally Jimmy is the person who's trying to push Carl in the right direction rather than the wrong one, and trying to keep him on the straight and narrow, and shoving him about a bit, really! But now it's the other way round - now Carl is really having to come to Jimmy's rescue. Of course, Carl is Carl and he's not very happy about it - he's grumpy and everything, but you can also see that Carl feels for his brother and he's trying to tie him down and anchor him. So Carl is very supportive of Jimmy."

What kind of role does Kelly play in the storyline as it moves forward?
    "As Kelly caused Jimmy's head injury when they argued in Peterborough, the big question for Kelly is what happens after she realises Jimmy doesn't know anything about the fact that she's responsible for it. That gives her all kinds of scope that I can't go into, but I think you can imagine! If Jimmy doesn't really know anything and can be told anything, then her path is wide open......

Will we see Jimmy go for any treatment which could help him to get his memory back?
    "Yeah, he tries visiting a hypnotherapist - which doesn't go too well! He manages to recover a couple of childhood memories, but that's it. Jimmy isn't exactly Mr Metrosexual, so some bloke telling him to sit down and relax will just make him more tense!"

What's it been like to have Adele Silva back on set?
    "Oh, it's been brilliant fun - we were just talking about that this morning, actually. We were all chatting in make-up and everyone was saying how great it is to have her back. She's just so bubbly and so fun, so it's been lovely working with her again."

Has the amnesia plot been one of your favourite Emmerdale storylines?
    "I think it has - just because it's been so bizarre. I like the fact that it's so left-field and that I can play something that is so extreme, in a way. To play a character completely cold around people who are telling him that they're his brother or wife is quite a heavy thing to do. So I'm really enjoying the difference of it."

It's been announced recently that Kim Thomson and James Sutton are both leaving Emmerdale. Are you sad to see them go?
    "We're always sad to see people go. Kim's been lovely and James is a fantastic lad. They become your mates and part of the furniture at work. But there will always be a turnover in this kind of series - continuing drama is a tough mistress and quite a rollercoaster to be on. It suits some people to be on it longer than others."

Finally, Emmerdale's recent success at the Broadcast Awards must have been a really nice reward for the team after such a strong year for the show…
    "Yeah, especially because of what happened with Gav last year. The Broadcast award was Gav's favourite award, always. It was the one that he really valued the most, because he knew that it was the award that came from our peers. I was absolutely thrilled that we won that one - mostly for Gav."

Emmerdale star Nick Miles has hinted that his character Jimmy King could get involved in a big storyline involving his brother Carl later this year.

The actor, who has been with the soap since 2004, promised that there are huge plans afoot for Emmerdale in time for its 40th anniversary in October.

Miles told Inside Soap of the upcoming milestone: "I think there are going to be some big fireworks coming up - we've got some massive storylines on the way this year, so I'm sure Jimmy will be able to crowbar himself into one of those!

"I've had a hint of what I'm going to be doing [for the anniversary], but I can't tell you yet - a lot of it is to do with Carl, though."

Miles also revealed that he wants Jimmy to start standing up for himself more in the coming months.

"I would like for him to be a bit more assertive with Carl - and I'm trying to get that written in," he explained.

"When I was turning on the Christmas lights in Lincoln, a fan said, 'Are you as soft as Jimmy?' It was an awful thing to be asked, as I don't think of Jimmy as being soft. I avoided the question like a politician, but it really made me think."

Emmerdale continues at 7pm on ITV1.

Emmerdale star Tom Lister has promised that the King brothers are likely to become a more powerful presence in the village this year.

The actor, who plays troublemaker Carl King, told Inside Soap that he is excited about what is ahead for his character in the coming months.

Lister explained: "The Kings have got an exciting year in store. I do think Carl and Jimmy will begin building up their business into a position of power, so they can start throwing themselves around a bit again.

"I'm really hoping that the Kings are going to get back on top in the village."

Lister's comments come after Nick Miles, who plays Jimmy, recently hinted that the Kings would be involved in one of Emmerdale's 40th anniversary storylines.

Miles said last week: "I think there are going to be some big fireworks coming up - we've got some massive storylines on the way this year, so I'm sure Jimmy will be able to crowbar himself into one of those!

"I've had a hint of what I'm going to be doing [for the anniversary], but I can't tell you yet - a lot of it is to do with Carl, though."

Emmerdale celebrates its 40th anniversary in October.

Over on Emmerdale, Jimmy King has some serious explaining to do when a mystery woman turns up and announces she is expecting his baby.

A visibly pregnant Juliette turns up in the Dales and shocks Jimmy (Nick Miles) and Nicola (Nicola Wheeler) by announcing that Jimmy is her unborn baby's father.

As Juliette goes on to explain how this is the case, it is clear that a shell-shocked Jimmy has some major explaining to do as Nicola demands answers.

It turns out that Jimmy deposited some of his sperm two years ago before having a vasectomy, hoping to cover all bases just in case he wanted another child in the future, but it was accidentally donated to Juliette following a mix-up at the clinic.

Jimmy feels sad when an unknowing Juliette tells him she will be calling the baby Carl and explains that all she needs is a signature from him to forget the child forever.

As Juliette leaves, an angry Nicola confronts Jimmy before storming off, but when Jimmy catches up with her, Nicola is taken aback by just how upset he is. How will Jimmy cope with not seeing his baby?

Juliette has some news for Jimmy.
    © ITV
    Juliette has some news for Jimmy.

Juliette tells Jimmy she is pregnant.
    © ITV
    Juliette tells Jimmy she is pregnant.

Jimmy and Nicola can't believe what they are hearing.
    © ITV
    Jimmy and Nicola can't believe what they are hearing.

Jimmy tries to explain to Nicola.
    © ITV
    Jimmy tries to explain to Nicola.

Emmerdale airs these scenes on Monday, September 29 at 7pm on ITV.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

mariba (21-09-2014)

Oh you couldn't make it up!!

Hang on, they just did!!??

is this suppose to be a comedy storyline?

I thought that the name of the sperm donor is confidential so how did she find out it was Jimmy's sperm that was used?

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    I thought that the name of the sperm donor is confidential so how did she find out it was Jimmy's sperm that was used?
    I still don't get the legalities of it any more than I get how it was possible for James Barton to obtain a DNA test via a sock, but I wonder if they will explain it as Jimmy never agreed to be a sperm donor, and therefore has legal rights until he signs them away. If this woman has wanted a child for a number of years, I'm not surprised that she's anxious to ensure that she can't suddenly end up in a custody battle. Could end up a seriously expensive mistake for the clinic though; using the wrong sperm and then giving out Jimmy's details. Surely they should have contacted Jimmy, explained the mix up and asked if he was agreeable to his details being shared with the mother to be?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kim For This Useful Post:

Perdita (22-09-2014)

I guess she could also claim Child Support from him ???

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    I still don't get the legalities of it any more than I get how it was possible for James Barton to obtain a DNA test via a sock, but I wonder if they will explain it as Jimmy never agreed to be a sperm donor, and therefore has legal rights until he signs them away. If this woman has wanted a child for a number of years, I'm not surprised that she's anxious to ensure that she can't suddenly end up in a custody battle. Could end up a seriously expensive mistake for the clinic though; using the wrong sperm and then giving out Jimmy's details. Surely they should have contacted Jimmy, explained the mix up and asked if he was agreeable to his details being shared with the mother to be?
    under the Human Tissue Act 2006 you cannot take tissue from a person without thier express permission (in writing) plus their knowledge of what it will be used for

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sarah c For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (29-10-2014)

Thread Information