EastEnders has introduced a mystery new character who's spying on the Fowler family.

Friday night's episode saw actress Katie Jarvis arrive on our screens as newcomer Hayley, who was seen watching Martin and Stacey from afar.

The opening scene of EastEnders' latest episode saw Hayley secretly taking photos of Martin while lurking in the Albert Square gardens.

Hours later, Hayley was still sneaking around in Walford as she sat at the cafe and reported back to an unknown person over the phone.

Hayley arrives in EastEnders
© BBC

Answering a call from a private number, Hayley said: "Took your time, didn't you? Yeah, I'm here. You never told me this place was so… friendly.

"So you got the pictures I sent then? That's him, yeah? I knew it. I can sniff a wretch at 20 paces. So far up himself, I'm surprised it ain't coming out the other end.

"Me? Wouldn't touch him with the bottom end of a bog brush, thanks. Don't you worry. I know exactly what to do next."

EastEnders' closing credits didn't provide a surname for Hayley, leaving us to guess over who she might be and why she's so interested in slagging off Martin.

We do know that the show has promised to introduce a new Slater family member alongside the returns of Kat, Jean and Big Mo – so could she have arrived already?

Another possible clue is that Friday's episode saw Stacey trying to set off in a cab, telling Martin that she was taking the kids off to see Jean in Brighton.

Martin managed to stop Stacey from going, but later made a call to Jean and discovered that she'd never been planning to go to Brighton at all. So where was Stacey off to? Is this all connected?

Digital Spy