Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Josh (Ryan Clayton)

Exclamation Josh (Ryan Clayton)

Coronation Street introduces a controversial new character next week, as Tyrone Dobbs tries to replace Luke Britton at the garage.

Weatherfield's residents were left devastated last week when they discovered that Luke (Dean Fagan) had been murdered after nearly four years on the cobbles.

Although it's a heartbreaking task, Tyrone (Alan Halsall) knows that he'll have to bring a new mechanic on board to replace Luke in order to cope with the workload.

This leads to handsome newcomer Josh turning up to apply, quickly making an impression on everyone.

Newcomer Josh arrives and meets Tyrone Dobbs in Coronation Street
    © ITV

Not only does Josh secure the job that very same day, he also impresses Tyrone by suggesting that they should hold a charity boxing match in memory of Luke.

Actor Ryan Clayton has been cast in the role of Josh, who's expected to take centre stage in one of Corrie's biggest storylines this year.

Last month, newspaper reports revealed that Coronation Street bosses are planning a male rape storyline, which will see Josh drug and attack David after a night out.

Corrie producers are yet to comment publicly on the storyline, but it's thought that they've been working with local charity Survivors Manchester to ensure that it's told sensitively.

Show insiders have said that there won't be any sexually explicit scenes of the attack happening, with the story instead focusing on the aftermath and the effects that it has on David.

This will be the first time that Corrie has covered the topic of male rape, following in the footsteps of Channel 4's Hollyoaks – which has explored the issue twice.

Digital Spy

Coronation Street's Ryan Clayton hints rapist Josh could be the next Pat Phelan

Now there's a scary thought.

Coronation Street's Ryan Clayton has hinted that rapist Josh Tucker could be the show's next Pat Phelan.

The soap's supervillain – played by Connor McIntyre – has been infuriating fans with his reign of terror, which has so far seen him cause the deaths of Andy Carver, Vinny Ashford and Luke Britton.

But although Corrie boss Kate Oates has promised that Phelan will get his comeuppance soon, it's possible that the Weatherfield residents could still have another problem on their hands.

That's because Ryan – who plays newcomer Josh – has teased that his alter ego could pick up from where Phelan left off.

Replying to a fan on Twitter – who was imploring Josh to become a regular character – Ryan said: "Well we all know how Phelan started, 3 years later."

Viewers will remember that Phelan was initially brought in for a storyline involving the Windass family back in 2013, which eventually saw him blackmail Anna into sleeping with him.

However, the evil builder was later reintroduced in 2016 and has gone on to become one of the show's most dangerous characters of all time.

Josh, meanwhile, is about to take centre stage in a dark plot of his own when he drugs and rapes David Platt while on a night out.

Coronation Street's seemingly-charming newcomer Josh Tucker shows his true colours next week, as he drugs and rapes David Platt after they've been on a night out together.

The shocking moment begins a new long-running storyline for the ITV soap, as David (Jack P Shepherd) struggles to come to terms with what's happened and suffers in silence.

Digital Spy and other media recently caught up with Ryan Clayton, who plays Josh, at a Corrie press day to hear his thoughts on the storyline for the first time.

Did you know about this storyline from the start of your time on the show?

"Yes, the storyline was given away at the first audition. I wasn't told who it was happening to until I accepted the role. I understood it would be challenging, but I think it's an important storyline. I expressed that clearly in the audition and Corrie were happy to hear that I understood the importance of it."

What was your first impression of the scripts when you read them?

"The scenes were great. I've always loved Jonathan Harvey, who wrote them. I did his plays at drama school and one of my favourites is written by him – it's called Guiding Star – so it felt very strange.

"So I was waiting to do a Jonathan Harvey script and then it happened to be these particular scenes, which was great. It's really well written. Corrie has also worked very closely with Survivors Manchester to make it as realistic as possible."

Do you think it's an important story to tell?

"Yes, there was a recent documentary on BBC iPlayer about male rape. In the first three minutes, one of the guys said: 'You just don't see it or hear about it. It's totally unrepresented'. So I thought: 'Wow, there we go, it's a story that needs telling'."

How did you prepare for the role?

"We met Duncan Craig from Survivors Manchester and a lad called Sam, who does a lot of work with Survivors as well. In terms of preparation, I guess I was preparing for it in my own way by thinking about the actual character. Josh just wants to have sex – that's what he wants, that's what his motive is.

"In the aftermath, you see those similar traits of what other rapists do – those manipulation games that people like Josh play. That's what I've spoken to Duncan about during my research."

Is this pre-meditated? Does Josh already have it planned when he and David go out for drinks that night?

"I think in Josh's head, it isn't sexual assault. He doesn't see it as that. He will just go: 'Oh well, I'm sure he'll be up for it and I might just slip something into his drink to make it an even better time'. In his head, he totally believes that it's consensual and he will try to say that for as long as possible. The reality is, for a lot of male rapists, it's just about exerting power without feelings, and they enjoy that."

Is there a part of Josh that does realise what he's done is wrong?

"Yes, obviously David has an awareness of what has happened, but Josh isn't going to just disappear – he's going to hold his ground. The confidence that you see now, where he's an affable cheeky chap who's flirting with everybody, changes and you can see the manipulation in his scenes with David. Josh has still got the boxing event coming up, so he's not going anywhere soon. I'm in the show until the summer at the minute."

How did you prepare for the scenes with Jack?

"We spoke to Mark Hudson, the acting coach, and had a talk over it. But we've gelled really well, and we do get on. Jack understands the importance of the story as well."

What's it like playing a character like Josh?

"I've played a lot of villains, so I seem to get cast in those roles. But villains are really interesting people in how they work and how they go about things. They are good fun to play, as harrowing as they may be to play too."

Does Josh have any feelings for David beyond manipulation and sex?

"I think it's just a position of power. Perpetrators enjoy that power, without feelings. I think there are a lot of cases like that, where it's just purely for power and because he can."

What do you make of criticism that this could be too dark for Corrie, especially with the Phelan story going on too?

"I think it's a separate issue completely [to the Phelan story]. Like I said, I think it's an issue that does need raising, so whilst it might not be all happy, I think it is a story that needs telling. Also, it's not revolving around the same characters as the Phelan story. It's a big street and there's a lot of separate issues, so as long as audiences appreciate that it's a separate issue, then I'm sure we can accept that fully."

Has it been hard to switch off after filming the scenes?

"When we did the actual scene, it was quite dark. That was quite hard. The aftermath is more difficult to play, just working and thinking in a completely unhinged mind, so it's not natural thought processes. Obviously it's natural to people who do think like that, but completely alien to myself. The way Josh talks and speaks, that is very hard to play. What's nice is that you can always move on with the next scene, which takes you out of that."

Are you preparing yourself for possible abuse from viewers?

"Talking to the cast, I don't think you can ever be truly ready for it. But I take it as it comes and I appreciate it might come, so I'm anticipating it. It's nice to know that the viewers are just involved in it – they're watching and invested. I guess it shows I'm doing a good job, so if anything, it's a compliment."

Have any cast given you advice?

"The way Connor McIntyre, who plays Phelan, deals with it is a great way. He's a great people person. As soon as you show your real side, that's the best way to deal with people – kill them with kindness!"

Could Josh follow in Phelan's footsteps and become a murderer?

"Possibly. If you're choosing to ignore morality, then who knows where that can lead in the end?"

Digital Spy

It a shame he is a rapist as I quite like him with Gemma and think the actor is good in the role

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    I thought maybe Sarah Louise but is she back with Gary again?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Perdita (07-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    I thought maybe Sarah Louise but is she back with Gary again?
    Yes, they are back together, Bethany not happy which is why she went back to the lap dancing club ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (07-03-2018)

Josh Tucker targets CHESNEY with a new plan and alibi involving Alya - David is horrified by the villain's latest behaviour!

Rapist Josh Tucker threatens to drag Alya Nazir into his sinister games next week.

Josh (Ryan Clayton) considers starting a relationship with Alya in order to give himself a "cover story" if David Platt ever reports him to the police.

Viewers have seen David (Jack P Shepherd) suffer in silence over the past few days after Josh drugged and raped him following a night out.

Next week's episodes see David finally reach breaking point as Josh continues his attempts to intimidate him.

David also fears the worst when he overhears Josh inviting Chesney Brown (Sam Aston) back to his place for lunch, worrying that Chesney could become his next victim.

Deciding that it's time to put a stop to Josh once and for all, David warns him that he's finally going to report him to the police.

Sadly, Josh already believes that he's one step ahead as he suddenly starts flirting with Alya (Sair Khan) to make a point to David.

Josh warns David that his claims will seem less believable to the police if he has a girlfriend, once again trying to manipulate him into keeping quiet.

Will David be deterred by Josh's threats, and could an oblivious Alya find herself falling for the villain's charms?

Digital Spy

he likes the young looking boys, dave and ches, sicko

Coronation Street villain Josh Tucker was left triumphant again in Thursday night's episode (May 31) as he was released without charge after being arrested for raping David Platt.

Although the police tried to put pressure on Josh, he confidently answered "no comment" to every question and David later heard that the authorities wouldn't be taking the matter further.

Corrie's outgoing producer Kate Oates had previously confirmed that the story wouldn't result in a conviction for Josh, hinting that justice will come in another form.

Digital Spy recently caught up with Ryan Clayton, who plays Josh, for some hints on what happens next.

How do you think Corrie fans will react to Josh being released so quickly?

"I don't think they'll be too happy about it, but this is Soapland and we always assume that the bad guys will be punished in the end. We're very used to that in soaps, but you'll have to wait and see what happens.

"Playing the bad guy, you always know to expect a comeuppance one day… but when that will be, we do not know!"

Corrie producer Kate Oates has admitted that Josh being jailed wouldn't have been realistic because of the lack of evidence in this particular case. Do you think it's good for the show to reflect real life in that way?

"Of course – when we did the research, the charities made that point themselves, so we are representing it in the right way. It's important to represent people who've gone through this but their case hasn't gone through to be taken further.

"So then it's a story about how the survivor copes afterwards and how you move forward. It's about David and how he moves on with his life."

What kind of feedback have you seen to the story? You must be proud that it boosted helpline calls by 1,700%?

"Absolutely, it's amazing. I love being an actor, but when you can also make an impact like that with your work, that's something really special.

"All of the feedback I've received has been really nice. One of the best surprises has been the blokes who you wouldn't normally expect to have a reaction from. When I'm at the pub, there are blokes who'll have a bit of a joke with you at first, but then they'll say: 'But well done for telling that story and raising the awareness.' So that's been one of the nicest things.

"Of course, there have also been people who have contacted me because they've unfortunately been affected by the storyline. But what a wonderful thing that they've felt able to talk about that on social media, or also the ones who've been in touch via private emails and messages."

Do you find people are able to easily distinguish between you and the character, rather than hassling you in the supermarket?

"Thankfully people can! (Laughs.) Any sort of abuse has been followed by a smile, a laugh or a joke. Nobody has meant any harm."

Was it a challenge to play Josh as a 'nice guy' at first and then have such a dramatic shift?

"I think it would have been more of a challenge if I'd played him like that without knowing what was coming up and then found out about the storyline afterwards! Fortunately, I always knew that it was coming.

"Whenever I've played baddies in the past, I've always tried to make them as likeable and charming as I possibly can. I think that means it has more of an impact when you later find out the truth about them.

"Also, people like Josh are like that. They know how to manipulate people and portray themselves as nice – they are con artists. So the shift wasn't a challenge, it was more the aftermath and how fragmented Josh's mind was afterwards."

What has Jack P Shepherd (David) been like to work with on the storyline?

"Jack's been great. I think he's done a phenomenal job. The scenes we saw this week with David talking to the police were amazing. It's been great to work with him, and a good laugh at times! Most of the time it is, but of course we've had to work on some serious stuff. It's been a real pleasure."

Who else have you made friends with on set?

"Quite a lot of people. I've just been away in Thailand with Qas [Akhtar, who played Zeedan] so I guess we get on quite well! Me and James Burrows [Ali Neeson] started in the show together, he's a good lad.

"Me and Al [Halsall, who plays Tyrone] get on too. I worked with him a lot at the start when Josh joined the garage. Everyone has made me feel welcome, so I get on quite well with everyone."

Do you think Corrie is a good platform for your future career?

"Yeah, definitely. You realise how helpful the show could be and I do intend to use it in that positive way. I've always loved British dramas and the British film industry as well. For me, it's always about the role and what the character is like – and of course working with certain people as well would be great."

Corrie has been exploring very impactful storylines recently, with the male rape interweaving with Aidan's suicide. How do feel about being part of that?

"It's been brilliant. I know [Corrie producer] Kate Oates wanted to focus on male mental health and do a season on that. I was away when the Aidan storyline was on air, but I tried to keep track of it with Twitter and I had a good knowledge of how it'd be linked up with our storyline.

"I think it's fantastic to explore male mental health. We've all seen those figures and the problem of the way men deal with things by not talking. It needed highlighting and those people need representing too."

You're up for your first award – Best Newcomer at the TV Choice Awards. How does that feel?

"I'm absolutely buzzing. I was away on holiday when it was announced, so I think I found out on Twitter. Someone tagged me in a tweet so I found out that way! (Laughs.) It was lovely and it's a real pleasure when your work is rewarded. It's really nice to be nominated."

Digital Spy

Coronation Street villain Josh Tucker may still be recovering in hospital following his recent attack, but that's certainly not stopping him from causing more drama for the Platt family.

Bethany Platt is horrified when she finds out about Billy Mayhew's recent trips to see Josh – warning him to show his loyalty to David and steer clear from now on. But with Josh finally showing interest in seeking forgiveness through prayer, has Billy actually made some progress?

Digital Spy recently caught up with Ryan Clayton, who plays Josh, to hear about his character's recent return and what's coming up in the story.

What kind of reaction have you seen from fans since Josh has returned on screen recently?

"Weirdly, the biggest reaction I've seen is that people didn't think it was me! (Laughs.) Loads of people on Twitter thought it was a different actor, so that was a surprising one."

It must have been because your hair wasn't styled!

"I know – I'd actually been using that as a good disguise for myself. I didn't get noticed as much when I had my hair curly, but now that's out of the window!

Ryan Clayton
    @RClayton92
    Big shoutout to my blind twin brother Bryan Clayton in tonight’s ep.
    Well done bro 👊🏼👌🏼

Ian
    @amgrumpy
    Is that another actor playing Josh? #corrie

9:31 PM - Aug 6, 2018
    19 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    "I think the other main reaction is that people are just interested in where it's going to go and what's going to happen now. Was Josh's attack his justice, or will there be more to it?"

Are you pleased that the Corrie writers have brought Josh back to tie up the loose ends?

"Definitely. With the seriousness of the storyline and what they were asking me to do in the acting stakes, it was an honour that they had that faith in me to take on a role like this and that we've been continuing with it.

"It's definitely important that we give the storyline the right ending, but obviously I can't talk about the ending or what it is! I suppose the main thing is that the story ends when David has peace of mind – that's the most important thing."

Could the show perhaps hint at a redemption for Josh?

"I think you've used the right word with 'hint' – it is a good question just to put out to the audience, can a soap redeem a character like that? It's certainly a question that the storyline poses to viewers. I don't know the answer to that, but it'll be interesting to see what people's opinions are."

Will we learn more about what's made Josh the way he is?

"Possibly – you'll have to wait and see with that one!"

Will there be more scenes between Josh and David?

"I think there has to be, really. As long as Josh is still around, it's always going to involve David. There's more with Billy too, as he's Josh's only other link to the Street at the moment."

Are you glad that you've taken on this storyline, as some actors might have been hesitant to play Josh?

"I am. Everyone tries to explain about what it's like being noticed when you've been on TV, but I don't think it's something you can really understand until it actually happens. That can be a bit worse when you're playing a baddie, but I'm absolutely proud to be part of this storyline.

"You see the outcome and the impact that it's had, including the statistics of people coming forward after being through similar experiences in real life. So why would I not want to be a part of that? I'm really proud and happy to have been involved."

Has the fan reaction to the storyline changed over time? Jack P Shepherd (David) admitted the reaction was pretty negative at first...

"As soon as the storyline aired, people did change their minds. At first when the news of the storyline first came out in the press, a lot of people on social media were very against it.

"But I think as soon as it got nearer to the time and viewers saw the way they were going about it, people were on board. You also didn't see anything take place on screen, apart from Josh shutting the door to the bedroom. There have been much worse things that have actually happened on screen than what you saw there."

Have you heard from people who've been affected by the storyline?

"I've worked pretty closely with Duncan Craig from Survivors Manchester for the storyline. I've not met anyone personally, but I know a lot of the stories thanks to my conversations with Duncan."

Is there a part of you that's sad you probably can't stay forever in the show?

"Yeah, although I guess when you're a villain, that's always the case. But then it's also nice to come in, make an impact and then go. It's a great thing to do – when you look at the villains from over the years, they're often the most memorable roles and that's a great thing to be a part of."

What would you like the future to hold for you?

"I love my job, so anything's that well-written, has got a good team behind it and a good production, I'm always happy to be part of. Hopefully there'll be more TV and dramas in the future. I've always wanted to do dramas and I'd also like to do a bit of comedy now too."

Congratulations also on being up for Best Bad Boy at the Inside Soap Awards. How does it feel to be in the running?

"I was really made up when I found out that I'd been nominated, especially when I saw the list of people that I was up against. It was an honour to be considered. It's also funny because my mates had always said that I'd be a villain in a soap one day!"

Digital Spy

Thread Information