Thread: Josh (Ryan Clayton)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Josh (Ryan Clayton)

Coronation Street introduces a controversial new character next week, as Tyrone Dobbs tries to replace Luke Britton at the garage.

Weatherfield's residents were left devastated last week when they discovered that Luke (Dean Fagan) had been murdered after nearly four years on the cobbles.

Although it's a heartbreaking task, Tyrone (Alan Halsall) knows that he'll have to bring a new mechanic on board to replace Luke in order to cope with the workload.

This leads to handsome newcomer Josh turning up to apply, quickly making an impression on everyone.

Newcomer Josh arrives and meets Tyrone Dobbs in Coronation Street
    © ITV

Not only does Josh secure the job that very same day, he also impresses Tyrone by suggesting that they should hold a charity boxing match in memory of Luke.

Actor Ryan Clayton has been cast in the role of Josh, who's expected to take centre stage in one of Corrie's biggest storylines this year.

Last month, newspaper reports revealed that Coronation Street bosses are planning a male rape storyline, which will see Josh drug and attack David after a night out.

Corrie producers are yet to comment publicly on the storyline, but it's thought that they've been working with local charity Survivors Manchester to ensure that it's told sensitively.

Show insiders have said that there won't be any sexually explicit scenes of the attack happening, with the story instead focusing on the aftermath and the effects that it has on David.

This will be the first time that Corrie has covered the topic of male rape, following in the footsteps of Channel 4's Hollyoaks – which has explored the issue twice.

Digital Spy

Coronation Street's Ryan Clayton hints rapist Josh could be the next Pat Phelan

Now there's a scary thought.

Coronation Street's Ryan Clayton has hinted that rapist Josh Tucker could be the show's next Pat Phelan.

The soap's supervillain – played by Connor McIntyre – has been infuriating fans with his reign of terror, which has so far seen him cause the deaths of Andy Carver, Vinny Ashford and Luke Britton.

But although Corrie boss Kate Oates has promised that Phelan will get his comeuppance soon, it's possible that the Weatherfield residents could still have another problem on their hands.

That's because Ryan – who plays newcomer Josh – has teased that his alter ego could pick up from where Phelan left off.

Replying to a fan on Twitter – who was imploring Josh to become a regular character – Ryan said: "Well we all know how Phelan started, 3 years later."

Viewers will remember that Phelan was initially brought in for a storyline involving the Windass family back in 2013, which eventually saw him blackmail Anna into sleeping with him.

However, the evil builder was later reintroduced in 2016 and has gone on to become one of the show's most dangerous characters of all time.

Josh, meanwhile, is about to take centre stage in a dark plot of his own when he drugs and rapes David Platt while on a night out.

Coronation Street's seemingly-charming newcomer Josh Tucker shows his true colours next week, as he drugs and rapes David Platt after they've been on a night out together.

The shocking moment begins a new long-running storyline for the ITV soap, as David (Jack P Shepherd) struggles to come to terms with what's happened and suffers in silence.

Digital Spy and other media recently caught up with Ryan Clayton, who plays Josh, at a Corrie press day to hear his thoughts on the storyline for the first time.

Did you know about this storyline from the start of your time on the show?

"Yes, the storyline was given away at the first audition. I wasn't told who it was happening to until I accepted the role. I understood it would be challenging, but I think it's an important storyline. I expressed that clearly in the audition and Corrie were happy to hear that I understood the importance of it."

What was your first impression of the scripts when you read them?

"The scenes were great. I've always loved Jonathan Harvey, who wrote them. I did his plays at drama school and one of my favourites is written by him – it's called Guiding Star – so it felt very strange.

"So I was waiting to do a Jonathan Harvey script and then it happened to be these particular scenes, which was great. It's really well written. Corrie has also worked very closely with Survivors Manchester to make it as realistic as possible."

Do you think it's an important story to tell?

"Yes, there was a recent documentary on BBC iPlayer about male rape. In the first three minutes, one of the guys said: 'You just don't see it or hear about it. It's totally unrepresented'. So I thought: 'Wow, there we go, it's a story that needs telling'."

How did you prepare for the role?

"We met Duncan Craig from Survivors Manchester and a lad called Sam, who does a lot of work with Survivors as well. In terms of preparation, I guess I was preparing for it in my own way by thinking about the actual character. Josh just wants to have sex – that's what he wants, that's what his motive is.

"In the aftermath, you see those similar traits of what other rapists do – those manipulation games that people like Josh play. That's what I've spoken to Duncan about during my research."

Is this pre-meditated? Does Josh already have it planned when he and David go out for drinks that night?

"I think in Josh's head, it isn't sexual assault. He doesn't see it as that. He will just go: 'Oh well, I'm sure he'll be up for it and I might just slip something into his drink to make it an even better time'. In his head, he totally believes that it's consensual and he will try to say that for as long as possible. The reality is, for a lot of male rapists, it's just about exerting power without feelings, and they enjoy that."

Is there a part of Josh that does realise what he's done is wrong?

"Yes, obviously David has an awareness of what has happened, but Josh isn't going to just disappear – he's going to hold his ground. The confidence that you see now, where he's an affable cheeky chap who's flirting with everybody, changes and you can see the manipulation in his scenes with David. Josh has still got the boxing event coming up, so he's not going anywhere soon. I'm in the show until the summer at the minute."

How did you prepare for the scenes with Jack?

"We spoke to Mark Hudson, the acting coach, and had a talk over it. But we've gelled really well, and we do get on. Jack understands the importance of the story as well."

What's it like playing a character like Josh?

"I've played a lot of villains, so I seem to get cast in those roles. But villains are really interesting people in how they work and how they go about things. They are good fun to play, as harrowing as they may be to play too."

Does Josh have any feelings for David beyond manipulation and sex?

"I think it's just a position of power. Perpetrators enjoy that power, without feelings. I think there are a lot of cases like that, where it's just purely for power and because he can."

What do you make of criticism that this could be too dark for Corrie, especially with the Phelan story going on too?

"I think it's a separate issue completely [to the Phelan story]. Like I said, I think it's an issue that does need raising, so whilst it might not be all happy, I think it is a story that needs telling. Also, it's not revolving around the same characters as the Phelan story. It's a big street and there's a lot of separate issues, so as long as audiences appreciate that it's a separate issue, then I'm sure we can accept that fully."

Has it been hard to switch off after filming the scenes?

"When we did the actual scene, it was quite dark. That was quite hard. The aftermath is more difficult to play, just working and thinking in a completely unhinged mind, so it's not natural thought processes. Obviously it's natural to people who do think like that, but completely alien to myself. The way Josh talks and speaks, that is very hard to play. What's nice is that you can always move on with the next scene, which takes you out of that."

Are you preparing yourself for possible abuse from viewers?

"Talking to the cast, I don't think you can ever be truly ready for it. But I take it as it comes and I appreciate it might come, so I'm anticipating it. It's nice to know that the viewers are just involved in it – they're watching and invested. I guess it shows I'm doing a good job, so if anything, it's a compliment."

Have any cast given you advice?

"The way Connor McIntyre, who plays Phelan, deals with it is a great way. He's a great people person. As soon as you show your real side, that's the best way to deal with people – kill them with kindness!"

Could Josh follow in Phelan's footsteps and become a murderer?

"Possibly. If you're choosing to ignore morality, then who knows where that can lead in the end?"

Digital Spy

It a shame he is a rapist as I quite like him with Gemma and think the actor is good in the role

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    I thought maybe Sarah Louise but is she back with Gary again?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Perdita (07-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    I thought maybe Sarah Louise but is she back with Gary again?
    Yes, they are back together, Bethany not happy which is why she went back to the lap dancing club ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (07-03-2018)

Thread Information