Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neighbours 8th - 12th January 2018

Digital Spy article:

Neighbours producer reveals Paul Robinson's past will come back to haunt him.

Jason Herbison promises a "goldmine" of storytelling still to come.

As the sole original Neighbours cast member still on the soap, you'd think there'd be very few stories left to tell about Paul Robinson.

But that's where you'd be wrong, as the soap's producer Jason Herbison has teased that there's actually a lot in store for the character when we head back to Erinsborough in 2018.

"Paul has a colourful past, and there are some interesting chapters that remain unexplored," Jason told Inside Soap.

"It's a goldmine for storytelling. Paul will be challenged by the arrival of a person who has a cross to bear, and Paul will be forced to revisit a period he thought was long forgotten."

Considering Paul Robinson (Stefan Dennis) was off our screens for over 10 years between 1993 and 2004, it's anyone's guess what part of Paul's past the soap will revisit over the coming months.

But Jason did leave us with one extra little tidbit of information to keep us guessing.

"Also, one of our all-time favourite characters from Neighbours' 80s period is returning," he added. "That will be a thrill for our long-time fans – and probably quite bemusing and fun for our newer viewers!"

As much as we'd love to say this means we'll be seeing the return of Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan's popular characters Charlene and Scott (who happens to be Paul's brother, so there's at least a way in there), we think that's expecting a little bit too much.

But that still leaves many '80s favourites potentially in the running, so if you need us we'll just be over here weighing up the possibilities.

Neighbours returns on Monday, January 8 on Channel 5.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Aussieguy (01-01-2018), MellBee (31-12-2017)

A couple of Digital Spy articles:

Neighbours reveals baby Gabe's kidnapper in dramatic new pictures.

A shocking resolution to that pre-holidays cliffhanger.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/neig...veal-pictures/

Neighbours' Shane Rebecchi suffers a nasty accident while protecting Kirsha.

Kirsha's confidence takes a serious knock and so does her dad Shane.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/neig...cident-kirsha/

Neighbours' David Tanaka horrifies Aaron Brennan with a disastrous proposal in new pictures.

Neighbours will have to wait for its first same-sex marriage.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/neig...osal-pictures/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

MellBee (01-01-2018)

Very intriguing and I agree it won't be a huge name like Kylie or Jason. Jason though is a minor chance as don't think he's doing much. The article mentioned fun so thinking someone like Henry. Something to think about

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aussieguy For This Useful Post:

kaz21 (01-01-2018), Pantherboy (01-01-2018)

so nurse louisa took gabe did she kill hamish too?

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    so nurse louisa took gabe did she kill hamish too?
    It was the nome!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indigodance For This Useful Post:

kaz21 (02-01-2018), lellygurl (06-01-2018)

Daily Telegraph article today on Izzy's return (on Tuesday February 13th):

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/en...277d499215a0c6

Natalie Bassingthwaighte returns as Neighbours’ greatest villain, Izzy Hoyland.

WHO is the greatest villain in the history of Neighbours?

Ask any fan and they’d probably say it’s Paul Robinson (Stefan Dennis), who has contrived and connived, wheeled and dealt the residents of Ramsay Street for decades.

But there’s another baddie everyone loves to hate — arguably even more — and she’s back in town.

More than 10 years since she left Erinsborough, Natalie Bassingthwaighte returns to our screens as Izzy Hoyland next month, making her grand entrance in a movie-length episode on Tuesday, February 13. She says that this time, Izzy’s exploits will be “next level”.

“I like to say if you loved to hate her before, you’ll love to hate her even more,” Bassingthwaighte says with a laugh. “Izzy is always up to some kind of shenanigans, and her entrance this time is no exception.”

Bassingthwaighte exploded into Neighbours as femme fatale Isabelle “Izzy” Hoyland in 2003.

A manipulative man-eater, she set her sights on happily married doctor Karl Kennedy (Alan Fletcher), much to the horror of his wife Susan (Jackie Woodburne) and loyal fans.

Dubbed a “home wrecker”, Izzy was blamed for breaking up Karl and Susan’s marriage. She tricked Karl into thinking he was the father of her unborn child, hooked up with fellow bad-guy Paul, had another affair and drugged some people, all the while dabbling in blackmail and emotional manipulation. And that’s the short version.

”For a soap like this, you can’t go past a love triangle,” Bassingthwaighte says.

“Getting to play someone like that, you always have to look for the ‘why’. You’re not born a home wrecker. Situations and circumstances cause you to behave a certain way.

“Karl was very caring towards her. Izzy didn’t have a great relationship with her father, so I guess there is that element. She found him attractive because he was very nurturing and she hadn’t really had that in her life, someone who really understood her and accepted her flaws.”

So does Izzy have unfinished business with the doctor? Bassingthwaighte says, “Susan should be worried”.

“Everyone in the street should be slightly worried. More than slightly.

Bassingthwaighte left Neighbours in 2006 to pursue her musical interests — she performed in Rogue Traders along with Cameron McGlinchey, who she married in 2011 — and returned for a brief stint in 2007. Since then, she says she has resisted the urge to reprise the role for which she is best-known.

“I’ve been asked to come back for a number of years, and I always felt the timing wasn’t right,” she says. “I wanted to explore other characters and do other things.

“(Playing Izzy) is the one thing that I’ve done that I get asked about most on the street. Like, ‘I love Izzy, when is she coming back?’ I get asked about (Izzy) all the time.”

2017 was a busy year for Bassingthwaighte, who spent weeks in the jungle for Ten’s I’m a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here, coming in a respectable third place behind AFL player Dane Swan and singer Casey Donovan.

She did a stint playing Gillian in the second season of The Wrong Girl, a part that was originally intended to be 10 days filming, but was beefed up to “heaps more”. She continues to design her swanky range of childrens fashion, Chi Khi by Natalie Bassingthwaighte, which has been worn by celebrity offspring of singer Fergie.

But none of this impresses her two youngest fans, children Harper, 7, and Hendrix, 4.

“When I found out I was coming on I did show my daughter, Harper, a Neighbours episode,” Bassingthwaighte says.

“I think it’s a bit too old for her, but it was fun to say ‘Mummy’s going to do this show’.

“She laughs when we show her pictures of mum and dad in Rogue Traders, with dad’s crazy hair and mine. It’s an eye opener.

“But her friends at school are starting to say, ‘your mum is on TV’. So that’s why she’s starting to wonder, is this a big deal? But at home, it’s all so normal. We did lots of things before they were born. They’re like, ‘no!’

Neighbours, Eleven, 6.30pm weeknights

Movie length special on Eleven, Tuesday, 13 February from 6.30pm

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

MellBee (16-01-2018)

Thread Information