Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gerry Roberts (Shaun Thomas)

Gerry

im liking lachlan's juvie jail mate gerry, funny so far

I agree. Gerry is just great ... so far.

I was hoping Gerry would hear about Lachlan's attack on Alicia from Leyla or Megan tonight

Gerry Roberts (Shaun Thomas)

There is danger and disaster ahead during an Emmerdale bonfire as Gerry’s fireworks lead to injury for Doug Potts – can he and Diane Sugden forgive the youngster for the peril he has bought. Gerry takes charge of the fireworks display but Diane is uneasy about his behaviour around them – are they dodgy or stolen? Gerry is already in a bit of hot water as Aaron Dingle is unhappy to learn that Liv Flaherty was drinking with Gerry while he was away but Gerry is going to be in even more trouble when Doug Potts lights one of the fireworks, leading to a disastrous turn of events. Doug is injured when his hands are burnt on the fireworks and Gerry is soon in the firing line when the police have cause to investigate them. Could Gerry be heading back inside and can Doug ever forgive him for putting him and the rest of the village at such risk with his reckless and foolish behaviour?

metro.co.uk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

EddyBee (27-10-2017)

When Digital Spy held its annual reader awards last month, there was a surprise winner in the Newcomer category as Emmerdale's Shaun Thomas stormed ahead in the voting.

Shaun had only been on screen as an Emmerdale regular for a few months, but his eccentric character Gerry Roberts has clearly proven popular with fans while causing trouble for the likes of Lachlan, Belle, Aaron and Liv.

Digital Spy recently caught up with Shaun for his first ever interview about playing Gerry – and it turns out it's not just his character who's fond of a joke or two...

How do you feel about being named Best Soap Newcomer in our awards last month?

"I felt great just knowing I'd been nominated for the award. To then win the award, I was buzzing. So thanks Digital Spy for the nomination."

How has the fan reaction to Gerry changed over time?

"When I first started playing Gerry, I felt like he was disliked quite a lot. I think people struggled to understand him as a person, plus I think he was judged for being a convict and instantly that made people not want to like him.

"But now over time, I think people have grown to love him because deep down he has a heart and couldn't harm a fly. He just thinks he's tough!"

You appeared briefly in the show last January as Lachlan's cellmate. At the time, did you have any idea Gerry would become a regular character?

"Course I did. It was all planned – I'd worm my way in and climb my way to the top. Now Adam Thomas has gone, Shaun Thomas is here. That all happened for a reason. I told them: 'You want me, he's got to go'.

"Just joking! I had no idea. It was only meant to ever be two episodes. Then when I heard Emmerdale wanted me back, I was over the moon."

Do you enjoy being the cast member who gets to bring comic relief to the show?

"I love it. Just knowing I have the ability to make people laugh just gives me the confidence and motivation to do it more and more."

How does it feel to be working with Danny Miller, especially since he plays one of the most popular characters?

"Hope you've asked him what's it like working with THE most popular character in the show – Gerry. (Laughs.)

"No, he's an absolute role model for young and older actors. It's understandable him being one of the most popular characters, just down to the fact of him being so genuine. Working with him is just a constant giggle. It's hard to call it work sometimes."

How about working with Thomas Atkinson (Lachlan)? Is he nicer than his evil character in real life?

"Thomas is a really good lad. I did my very first scenes with Thomas. His calmness and laid-back approach made me feel very comfortable and enabled me to be myself. So yes, he's a lot nicer in real life!"

Can you tell us anything about Gerry's future?

"He said it himself: 'He's a free spirit'. He's very unpredictable and you never know what he's going to get up to. Most of the time I don't even think he knows. He just takes everything in his stride."

Would you like to have a more serious storyline at some point?

"Yeah, I'd be really up for it. I love doing the comedy, but doing something more serious would be equally enjoyable."

How did the role come about in the first place?

"It first began when I auditioned for a different part playing a cancer patient. The first audition I did, I felt like it went really good. I was well prepared and up for the audition. I didn't end up getting the part, but I did feel like I left a good impression.

"A few months later I got an audition request for the role of Gerry. It was with director Mike Lacey and casting director Faye Styring. When I finished the audition, I knew this time I left a good impression because Mike's smile said it all.

"Then a few days later I heard back with an offer of two episodes and that's where it all began."

What was your acting background prior to Emmerdale?

"The first project I ever worked on was a low-budget British film called The Selfish Giant and I was street-casted with no acting experience from school. The film went on to do considerably well and this is where it all started for me.

"From that I got an agent and went on to work on other projects, such as Grimsby and Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children. This wasn't a career path intended for me, but I'm so grateful I was given the opportunity."

Digital Spy

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

EddyBee (18-01-2018), lizann (18-01-2018)

That's a good little interview with the lovely Shaun Thomas. It's great to hear from him. Well done to him for turning a 2 episode part into a regular part.

Last edited by EddyBee; 19-01-2018 at 23:41. Reason: spelling

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyBee For This Useful Post:

lizann (18-01-2018)

I hope he is not the death tonight, killer Lachlan was so determined he googled how to get away with murder

Brilliant actor proper gutted

Quote Originally Posted by heydrich39 View Post
    Brilliant actor proper gutted
    He brought humour to a very depressing show, it's amazing that absolute morons like Paddy and Marlon are still in it after all these years when they let decent characters like Gerry go.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to alcapo11 For This Useful Post:

EddyBee (17-05-2018)

i thought a twist he was still alive and diane or doug would die of a heart attack at seeing him, he was a good actor

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

EddyBee (17-05-2018)

Thread Information