Thread: Glen Campbell dies, aged 81

Unhappy Glen Campbell dies, aged 81

Legendary country musician Glen Campbell has died following a lengthy battle with Alzheimer’s. He was 81 years old.

A representative for Universal Music Group, Campbell’s record label, confirmed the singer’s death to Rolling Stone.

With a career spanning five decades, Campbell is widely considered one of music’s greatest songwriter, an artist who bridged the worlds of country and pop on his way to selling more than 70 albums worldwide. He’ll be remembered foriconic songs such as “Witchita Lineman”, “Gavelston”, and “By the Time I Get to Phoenix” in addition to his crown opus, “Rhinestone Cowboy”, considered by many to be the greatest country music song ever written. For his efforts, Campbell won a total of 10 Grammys, including a Lifetime Achievement Award in 2012. He was also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song in 2014.

Beyond his career in music, Campbell also dabbled in acting with roles in films like Norwood, Any Which Way You Can, and True Grit, for which he won a Golden Globe for Most Promising Newcomer in 1968.

Cambell was diagnosed Alzheimer’s disease in 2011, but remained active up until his death. His 2011 album Ghost on the Canvas was initial billed as his final album and Campbell supported its release by embarking on a farewell tour the following year. However, the following year Campbell released another album, See You There. In 2014, Campbell was the focus of a documentary, I’ll Be Me; he himself wrote the film’s theme, “I’m Not Gonna Miss You”, which was subsequently nominated for an Academy Award. Earlier this year, Campbell announced another final album, Adiós, which was released in June.

RIP Glen, you were a very talented artist and I love your music xx

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (09-08-2017), Pantherboy (09-08-2017)

RIP Glen. Rhinestone Cowboy - was one of the great songs. Loved all his iconic songs really.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

lizann (09-08-2017), Perdita (09-08-2017)

rip glen

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Pantherboy (10-08-2017), Perdita (10-08-2017)

Thread Information