Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Spellman

Exclamation Summer Spellman

Coronation Street couple Billy Mayhew and Todd Grimshaw are reunited with Summer next week
    They finally get to be her parents.
    Coronation Street couple Billy Mayhew and Todd Grimshaw will finally get the chance to be parents to Summer after they are reunited with her in heartwarming scenes next week.
    Todd and Billy are keen to keep their promise to Summer's late dad Drew by raising the young girl as their own, but her grandparents are currently standing in their way.
    With Drew's mother Geraldine being particularly firm in her refusal to hand Summer over to the pair, their hopes of raising her are gradually fading.
    However, things take an unexpected turn next week when Billy and Todd move into the flat above the flower shop and are surprised when Summer turns up at the solicitor's for another meeting.
    As Todd quizzes her about her new living arrangements, they're startled by the arrival of Billy – who is forced to reveal that Summer doesn't have a case and he only went along with it as he wanted to keep tabs on her.
    But when Billy and Todd take a disappointed Summer back to their new flat, she starts to open up to them – admitting just how strict her grandparents are.
    Desperate to help, Billy and Todd pay Drew's parents a visit and implore them to do what's best for Summer, but their pleas are ignored when Geraldine makes some spiteful homophobic remarks.
    However, just when it really does seem that all hope is lost, Drew's father Angus reveals a legal document stating that Drew intended Billy to have guardianship of Summer.
    With things finally starting to swing in the couple's favour, Angus tells Summer she must choose between living with Todd and Billy, or staying with her grandparents.
    Fans will have to wait and see how the situation unfolds, but by the end of the week, Summer is back in Weatherfield so there are no prizes for guessing what she decides. Will Billy and Todd rise to the challenge of being parents?

Coronation Street airs these scenes on Monday, July 24 and Wednesday, July 26 on ITV.

Radio Times

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

crystalsea (19-07-2017)

It’s a case of two men and a little lady in Coronation Street, when Billy the vicar and partner Todd become the legal guardians of Summer Spellman, daughter of Billy’s now late ex-boyfriend, Drew. It’s a big commitment for the loved-up pair and a defining moment in Corrie history – the characters are the first same-sex couple on the show to raise a child together.

Actors Daniel Brocklebank and Bruno Langley talk about the journey ahead, working with child actress Matilda Freeman, and why they’d love their alter-egos to tie the knot.

How do Billy and Todd feel about the prospect of raising Summer?
    Daniel: “I don’t think Billy is under any delusions that they’re adopting a 12 year old who is grieving, and with his training, he’ll have had experience with things like that. I think that he’s very up for the idea of being a dad, and of him, Todd and Summer being a family.”
    Bruno: “Todd can be quite selfish, but as soon as he met Summer, he saw that she had this spark. She’s very quick and intelligent, and probably reminds him of himself a little bit. And when the homophobic grandmother, Geraldine, turned up and said ‘You’re not going to raise this girl’, he wasn’t going to let her get one up on him!”

Given that Summer is an adolescent, can you foresee a lot of drama ahead?
    Daniel: “I can imagine Billy desperately trying to read the back of a Tampax box and working out how he’s going to have that conversation with her! But I suppose it’s like that for any parent, when you’ve never done it before. It’s all trial and error.”
    Bruno: “There’s a scene where Tracy says to Todd: ‘You’ve got no idea of what’s going to happen!’ But I reckon there’s a lot of scope for comedy in that.”

Billy and Todd are the first same sex couple in Corrie to raise a child together. How do you feel about that?
    Daniel: “Corrie has always been a forerunner in terms of LGBT rights, and I’m thrilled! And I adore working with Bruno, so for us to have this extra layer brought into Billy and Todd’s relationship is great. I would’ve loved to have been a dad, so if this is the closest I ever get to it, then brilliant.”
    Bruno: “It’s another bit of Corrie history. The show has been moving with the times since its creation, and it’s just reflecting what’s happening in real life.”

Daniel, do you have any nieces, nephews or god children? And if so, what has that taught you about children?
    “I have a niece who was born in March, a nephew who’s four, and three goddaughters. I just get to fill them with sugar and give them back to their parents! I suppose it’s all about patience, love and understanding – and these are Christian values that Billy would be dishing out on a daily basis, along with the Coco Pops.”

Bruno, as a father in real life (to 10 year old son Freddie), what would your advice be to Todd?
    “Probably to enjoy the small moments, because before you know it, they’re grown up and they won’t need you so much.”

How do you think the other residents will react to Billy and Todd being parents? Will there be a few ruffled feathers?
    Daniel: “Of course there will be – surely the point is to ruffle feathers, and I’m sure there’ll be many a whimsical quip coming out of Norris’s lips!”
    Bruno: “Do you know what, I don’t think there are going to be any characters saying anything! I can’t imagine a scene where someone’s disgusted with the fact that they’re raising a kid together.”

Having a child puts pressure on any couple. Do you think that this might cause cracks in Billy and Todd’s relationship?
    Daniel: “It will change the dynamic of their relationship. One would hope that, as with any couple, it will bring them closer together. People have normally got time to prepare for parenthood, and obviously this came about in a different sort of way. But I’m hoping both of them are spontaneous enough to be able to cope with the things that it throws at them.”
    Bruno: “It depends what the writers want to explore. I know they have got plans to elaborate on Billy’s back story.”

Todd has a rather chequered past – Bruno, do you think that now he is a father, his dark days are behind him?
    “The conundrum is that in order to adopt Summer, Todd has rented a flat with Billy. But if he doesn’t have a good job, he can’t pay for it, and so he’s gone into business with Adam Barlow. I’m not a scriptwriter, but I know there are going to be points where Todd’s morals will be put into question again.”

Do you think Billy and Todd will have different ideas on parenting?
    Daniel: “Absolutely; I think they’re going to come at things from different angles. Todd is much more playful and mischievous than Billy. Billy tends to like to do things by the book, whereas Todd tends to fly by the seat of his pants a bit more.”
    Bruno: “Yeah, I think Todd will be a bit too lenient. It’s like that with me in real life!”

How have you found working with Matilda Freeman, who plays Summer?
    Daniel: “I did screen tests with five different actresses and I knew immediately that she was ‘the one.’ With a lot of child actors, you have to drive the scene yourself, whereas with Matilda, you can throw stuff at her and she runs with it. She has settled in remarkably quickly. I had 20 years experience in the industry before I joined Corrie and I was sh***ing myself on my first day! But she was as cool as a cucumber.”
    Bruno: “When I first starting working professionally, when I was 17, I was absolutely terrible. Things like hitting your mark for the camera were perplexing to me, and I was nervous all the time. She just walked on set and did it. She said to the director during one scene: ‘Do you want me to cry on this take?’ I looked at Dan and I was like ‘Sh**, she is really good! She’s going to show us up!'”

Now that Billy and Todd are parents, would you like them to seal the deal and get married?
    Daniel: “I’d love them to get married, because I’m a hopeless romantic! I also think it would be an interesting thing to highlight with the Church of England, because at the moment, if a gay vicar got married, they’d get fired.”
    Bruno: “That would be another bit of history for the show, so I assume that’s probably on the cards at some point. Getting married abroad would be a good idea. How about the south of France

whatsontv.co.uk
    Last edited by Perdita; 18-07-2017 at 19:37.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

crystalsea (19-07-2017)

she smokes a spice fag dared by simon who supplies her and she collapses

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Perdita (25-09-2017)

Coronation Street is planning a spice storyline for troubled youngster Summer Spellman.

The Daily Star reports that the teen will become involved in a plot where she finds a joint in the Street and is encouraged to smoke it by tearaway Simon Barlow – then collapses minutes after smoking the 'zombie' drug.

The story follows the real-life rise of the drug in Manchester, where numerous people have been filmed or photographed drooped over in the street.

Digital Spy reached out to ITV for comment, who informed us they do not comment on storyline speculation.

Summer, who is played by Matilda Freeman, is currently in the process of being adopted by vicar Billy Mayhew and his boyfriend Todd Grimshaw.

The hard-hitting tale comes months after promises from Coronation Street boss Kate Oates that storylines would continue to represent the struggles and diversity of modern-day Britain.

As such, Coronation Street is also planning its first HIV storyline for Seb Franklin.

Seb will apparently learn that he is HIV+ in scenes to air in October – leaving him, girlfriend Faye Windass (Ellie Leach) and their close friends and family having to come to terms with this news.

Digital Spy

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/coro...phelan-danger/

Coronation Street villain Pat Phelan could turn hero in upcoming scenes when he comes to the rescue of Summer Spellman.

A dark story twist will see Summer walk into danger on her way home from school as she is approached by a mystery man.

Connor McIntyre – who plays Phelan – has been spotted filming on location with Matilda Freeman (Summer) for scenes that will air early next year.

The brand new pap pictures show a man trying to tempt an anxious Summer into his car, but thankfully Phelan appears to get there just in time.

Not one to be messed with, Phelan immediately sends the man packing – but who is he? Is Summer in danger? And more to the point, is Summer really safe with Phelan given his track record?

This is the second time that Matilda has been papped filming scenes that will air after Christmas, despite the fact that Summer was tipped to leave with Todd when his final scenes air on Christmas Eve.

This confirms that the festive season won't be the last fans see of Summer, but does this mean Billy has got her back full-time or not?

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (11-12-2017), Rear window (11-12-2017), tammyy2j (12-12-2017)

does summer stay with eileen and phelan

Coronation Street schoolgirls Summer Spellman and Amy Barlow will find themselves in danger later this year.

The two characters get targeted by a menacing figure after Billy Mayhew's ongoing downward spiral takes another unexpected turn.

Young stars Matilda Freeman and Elle Mulvaney have been spotted filming on location today (January 17) for the scenes, which won't hit our screens for another couple of months.

The upcoming episode sees Summer trying to track down her adoptive dad Billy, which leads her to a homeless shelter.

Showing support for her friend, Amy comes along too – but they both look likely to regret their visit when they're pestered by an opportunistic man.

Although the guy puts on a friendly demeanour, he soon tries to steal Summer's phone and it looks like things could get nasty.

Fortunately, Amy's uncle Peter Barlow (Chris Gascoyne) is on hand to come to the rescue just in time.

The pictures may also raise questions over why Summer goes looking for Billy at the homeless shelter in the first place.

While it's possible that Billy could simply be helping out as part of his duties as a vicar, we also know that he has some dark storylines ahead as Adam Barlow tries to avenge the death of his mum Susan.

Could Adam's revenge lead to more trouble for Billy and send him away from the Street for a while?

Digital Spy

who has custody of summer with billy not able and todd gone, is it eileen?

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    who has custody of summer with billy not able and todd gone, is it eileen?
    Legally I would suggest that her grandmother is as I do not think Billy or Todd were made her legal guardian yet?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (18-01-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Legally I would suggest that her grandmother is as I do not think Billy or Todd were made her legal guardian yet?
    Yes I would think her grandparents too

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Perdita (18-01-2018)

Thread Information