Thread: Imogen (Melissa Johns)

Exclamation Imogen (Melissa Johns)

Coronation Street may be introducing a new character after actress Melissa Johns was spotted filming with the cast.

New pap pictures show Melissa filming with several members of the Corrie clan at a nightclub, including Mikey North (Gary Windass) and Faye Brookes (Kate Connor).

Melissa Johns spotted filming with cast of Coronation Street
    © MCPIX/MARK CAMPBELL

Melissa will reportedly play a character called Imogen , but it's currently unclear whether she will be a regular character or if she'll just be appearing in one episode.

Mikey North as Gary Windass in Coronation Street
    © MCPIX/MARK CAMPBELL

Melissa – who was born with one arm – is passionate about disabled representation and has attended workshops centred around the topic.

Last year, Melissa went to a Disability Confident Conference at Coronation Street, set up by Corrie producers and actress Cherylee Houston (Izzy Windass) as a way to change the current status of disability on screen.

Coronation Street have declined to comment on Melissa's casting, meaning fans will have to wait and see how Imogen's story unfolds on screen.

Digital Spy

Kate's new love interest??

Melissa Johns was spotted earlier this month filming with members of the Coronation Street cast, launching speculation about her being a new actor on the soap.

That speculation can now be put to bed, as she has discussed her new role for the first time, in an interview with Gloucester Live – though only up to a point when it comes to specifics: "All I can say is my character is a 5'4" blonde."

After she found out that she had landed the role, Melissa eagerly told her nan about the good news, which was tinged with sadness after the death of her grandad.

"He really was the biggest Coronation Street fan and my nan told me that before he died he was watching an episode and said, 'We'll be seeing our Melissa on there one day'.

"Although she was crying because it was brilliant news, it was also bittersweet because it came too late to tell him."

© BBC

And Melissa – who was born with one arm – says that her fellow Corrie actors have given her a brilliant welcome, and have been there to support her if necessary.

"The rest of the cast have been amazing – really sweet. If they see me struggling to do anything like doing my shoes up, they think nothing of getting down on their knees to help me.

"Shayne Ward is delightful but Connor [McIntyre] who plays Pat Phelan has been my rock from day one. He is one of the nicest people I've met in my life."

Being part of such a high-profile programme means Melissa's life will inevitably change, but she also sees it as a great opportunity to help positively shape the lives of others too.

© TWITTER MELISSA JOHNS
    "I've already been asked to be an ambassador for a disability charity, which is really flattering" she said.

"When I was growing up I had some very dark moments when I did not like what I looked like at all and this will give me a platform to be an advocate for other people.

"In the current climate, if you do not have a voice you will be swept under the carpet.

"Something like Coronation Street, which goes into people's living rooms practically every night, has an opportunity to change the way society views things like race, relationships and disability."

Digital Spy

she looks like julie

Coronation Street fans finally get to meet Kate Connor's new love interest Imogen tonight (September 3), as their relationship gets off to a passionate start at the Bistro.

Kate (Faye Brookes) is on a girls' night out with her friend Rana Nazir when Imogen catches her eye, leading to an instant chemistry between the pair.

While Kate is thrilled to be back in the dating game, Rana (Bhavna Limbachia) is livid that their fun evening has been disrupted – leading to fireworks as she clashes angrily with Imogen.

Actress and campaigner Melissa Johns, who was born with one arm and is passionate about disabled representation on TV, has landed the role of Imogen. Prior to her on-screen soap debut, Melissa spoke to Digital Spy about her character, storyline gossip and diversity on screen.

How does it feel to have joined the Corrie cast?

"Incredible. It's a bit of a dream come true, really. It's something that I've wanted for such a long time. I'd had screen tests for Corrie before and casting directors had said they did want me in the show, but I'd just have to wait for the right part to come up. So I knew that I could be in it at some point, but there was always a realistic voice in the back of my mind telling me that I might not be!

"So to actually be cast – as an actor with a disability – in a show that is in people's living rooms so many times a week is fantastic. Not only for myself, but for other actors with disabilities out there."

Can you tell us a bit more about your history with Corrie?

"I've been keeping in contact with the executive producer Kieran Roberts and the casting director Gennie Radcliffe for two and a half years now. I first met them at Breakthrough Talent, a workshop they held.

"That was run by Cherylee Houston, who plays Izzy in the show, and I was selected as one of ten actors with disabilities to go in, meet them and ask questions. It was designed as a step forward to having more disabled talent on TV.

"The last thing they said to me was: 'Make sure you keep in touch.' In this industry, if you're told that and you don't, you've shot yourself in the foot. So for the last two and a half years, if I've been in anything or had something coming up, I've let them know about it."

Kate Connor and Rana Nazir meet Imogen in Coronation Street
    © ITV

What happened next?

"Seven months ago I moved out of London and moved to Manchester. I actually moved on a whim so I emailed Kieran and Gennie to let them know, again just to keep in contact.

"When the role of Imogen came up, she wasn't a 'disabled character', she was just a character. I was put up for it and my agent put other people on her books up for it as well. Then they came back with a straight offer for me to join the show. I was completely chuffed. I was in Los Angeles at the time, in an Air B&B in Santa Monica. My agent forgot I was in America and phoned me at 2.30am to tell me!

"My agent explained that they'd put other actors up for it, so I knew then that they weren't specifically looking for someone with a disability. It was just that they thought I was right for it. As a campaigner, that's something I've been fighting for – getting rid of this idea of 'disabled parts' and just casting the right person for a role, regardless of whether they have a disability or not."

What can we expect from Imogen?

"I think she's a great character. She's flirty, feisty at times, quite sarcastic, and she has some attitude. So she's a nice, strong character to play. That can be hard to find sometimes. Normally when a character is played by someone with a disability, very rarely do they have a whole load of personality. Sometimes it's like they see the disability as personality enough!

"We never get cast as the nasty ones or the villains. If we do have personalities, it's usually quite sweet and innocent. So it's nice for me to play a character who has so much personality and is so strong. It's a dream to play."

Can you tell us about your first scenes?

"My first scenes are in the Bistro. Bhavna Limbachia and Faye Brookes who play Rana and Kate were wonderful to work with. I was very nervous, although they both said they couldn't tell! The first scenes are fantastic, with flirtiness, fighting and some kissing. To have that on your first day of filming for Coronation Street is an actor's dream, really."

There's quite a bit of tension between Imogen and Rana, isn't there?

"Yeah, there's definitely tension. Rana was going on a night out with her best mate, but now some girl has come and taken her friend from her! Kate and Imogen start drinking together and there's a lot of tension because Rana is suddenly the third wheel in the situation.

"Kate and Imogen get pretty drunk and are all over each other. Rana just feels really pushed out and accuses Imogen of taking advantage of Kate. I think that's her way of trying to break it up, so she can go back to having a good night with her mate."

Do you think Kate and Imogen make a good match?

"Definitely. They're both two strong-headed characters, which is great. They get wrapped up in meeting each other, especially with the drinks flowing. It's lustful, playful and they're a very strong couple."

The papers have said that Rana comes across as quite homophobic in her interactions with Imogen. Is that true?

"It can definitely come across as that, because of how she's acting. The friendship between Rana and Kate isn't that long-standing, so we haven't always seen Rana around people who are gay. It's a new surrounding for Rana and it's not like Kate and Imogen are holding back!"

Is this a short or long-term role?

"I can't really say for now. I suppose it's just down to what happens in the storyline, so we'll have to wait and see."

Who have you most enjoyed working with?

"Working with Faye has been amazing. She's a wonderful person to be around and learn things from. Bhavna is incredible as well. As far as diversity goes, we've had the same fights. If you're black or you're Asian, you've had those fights and you're still going through them.

"Sair Khan who plays Alya is lovely – she gave me her number within the first 20 minutes. Dean Fagan who plays Luke is really lovely too. But my absolute rock since I've been there is Connor McIntyre, who plays Phelan. He was the first person I met in the green room and he's an absolute dream. He says the right thing at the right time, just when you need to hear it."

You mentioned this not being a "disabled role". Does Imogen's disability get mentioned much?

"Not really. When it was written, they didn't know somebody with a disability was going to play the part. We've added a couple of little bits here and there. The producers have been fantastic. They rang me up and said: 'What would you do? Let's have a chat about it.' Which is exactly the way to go.

"The reason that we're not breaking down these barriers as quickly as we should be when it comes to disability on screen is because people are scared of conversations. But we will happily talk about it, we'd prefer to talk about it. It's nice to open up these conversations because that's how changes are made. So it's mentioned here and there in the episodes, but nothing major because there hasn't been much reason to mention it."

The morning after for Imogen and Kate Connor in Coronation Street
    © ITV

Has your disability ever held you back when it comes to your career?

"Well, I'm so lucky that I got into drama school on my first year of auditioning. There's not many people with disabilities who get to go to drama school, so that already felt like a bit of a breakthrough. But while I was there, I realised there really is a lack of representation.

"When you're growing up and say you want to be an actor, the reaction can often be: 'Oh! Okay!' But when you have a disability, you get it even more because people go: 'How can you be? There aren't disabled actors on TV.' I never let it filter in until my final year of drama school and I started to think: 'Oh my God, this is going to hinder me so much, this is going to be horrendous'.'

"But then I started to think: 'If I start thinking like that, why should anyone else believe in me? If I don't think that having one arm is the best thing in the world, why should any casting director or producer?'"

Is that why you started to campaign?

"Yeah, that's when I really started to embrace having this body that is completely different, but also in my eyes the best thing that I could have. I had a teacher at drama school who said: 'Melissa, I think one day you'll be an ambassador for people like you.'

"That just stuck in my head. I'm quite a confident person and maybe that's why I've been given this. Maybe I can help to change some views and how some things are.

"Now I think that I'm not just an actor, but an actor with a purpose. When I get a role, yes it's amazing for me and it makes me feel on top of the world, but it's also breaking new ground. For anyone to be able to say that they're changing perceptions when they go to work, that is a huge honour. So although other people may see it as a disadvantage, I see it as an advantage that I can change their minds."

Digital Spy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (05-09-2017)

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/06/coron...ryline-8110268

Coronation Street is bringing back Kate Connor’s ex-girlfriend Imogen later this year as Melissa Johns has returned to film a few episodes for the show as it heads towards Christmas. Fans may remember that Kate and fiery Imogen got on very well – but it was the first indication that Rana was harbouring feelings for Kate as her jealousy led to tension between her and Imogen. Imogen and Kate’s romance fizzled out and down the line, she then found her true love in the form of Rana. After overcoming a lot together – including the breakdown of Rana’s marriage to Zeedan and the reaction of her parents to her coming out – the pair are stronger than ever and engaged to be married.

Thread Information