Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicola Rubenstein (Nicola Thorp)

Exclamation Nicola Rubenstein (Nicola Thorp)

Coronation Street has just cast Pat Phelan's daughter, and the role has gone to a familiar face.

Joining the cobbles as Pat's daughter Nicola Rubenstein is Nicola Thorp, who first came to public attention last year after making headlines for refusing to wear heels to work.

The former receptionist headed a national petition to change dress code laws after she was fired from her temping job as a receptionist for wearing flat shoes and not changing out of them.

Her petition was signed by 150,000 people and the campaign gained worldwide attention.

You can bet that her Corrie character Nicola Rubenstein will be equally as determined, and she's set to cause a "ground-shaking reaction" when she joins the soap later this year (according to The Mirror).

The character of Nicola is said to be Seb Franklin's care worker, and not only is she unaware Pat is her father, but the shady businessman is also similarly in the dark that she is his daughter until he recognises her mother's surname and puts two and two together.

To top it off, it is also rumoured that Pat will discover he is now a granddad too, as Nicola has a son. Drama...

Nicola Thorp
    © PA IMAGES

The appearance of Pat's daughter was teased earlier this year, alongside a host of other additions to the Corrie cast.

Digital Spy

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (05-06-2017), swmc66 (05-06-2017), tammyy2j (06-06-2017)

Cannot wait for this storyline to start

seb's care worker is also seb's mother?

She cannot be his mother now

Coronation Street introduces an exciting new character next week as Pat Phelan's long-lost daughter Nicola Rubenstein makes her first appearance on the cobbles.

Nicola is introduced as Seb Franklin's case worker and she first comes across Phelan (Connor McIntyre) when she asks him to give the troublesome teenager an apprenticeship once he's released from the young offenders institute.

In real life, Nicola Thorp – who plays Nicola – is no stranger to attention as she made headlines last year when she started a campaign against women being forced to wear high heels in the workplace.

Digital Spy and other media recently paid a visit to the Corrie set to hear Nicola chat about her new role for the very first time.

How does it go when Nicola meets Phelan?

"She has no idea this man could be her father. Her parents are both dead as far as she was aware. There are a few occasions where she catches him being a little bit off and she thinks perhaps something is not quite right.

"Nicola is Seb's case worker, so she encourages him to get an apprenticeship at the builders' yard, so she's overseeing that. It's through that interaction that Nicola and Phelan form a bit of a bond, which is then tested."

How does the realisation come about for Phelan?

"Phelan recognises Nicola's mum in her, and also because of her surname. The way he finds out certain details about her is not necessarily kosher! Nicola gives him a business card with her name, which sparks his memory."

How would Nicola react to Phelan's true identity?

"She'd react like anybody. She doesn't know who he is, so as far as she's concerned, he is just a lovely man who's taken on a young down-and-out at a builders' yard and given him hope.

"When Phelan suggests he might be her father, initially as anyone would, you'd be in denial and then quite angry. But Nicola is the light in Phelan's life. What's interesting is it could be easy for her to be a do-gooder, but she's got a really feisty side to her. There's a couple of bits I hope the audience likes where they are at loggerheads – she can give as good as she gets! It's great fun."

Is Nicola open to a relationship with Phelan, or does she resent him?

"At this point she hasn't really got anything to resent, other than the fact that she's lived a lie, but ultimately that's not Phelan's fault as her parents weren't honest with her. With both parents being dead, she'd be stupid not to want to get to know this new person in her life. Phelan had an affair with her mum years ago."

What's Nicola's background?

"She was born in Liverpool, but she moved to Manchester shortly after she was born. We don't know too much about her past at the moment, other than her parents brought her up telling her never to live life with any regrets and do what you think is the right thing to do."

How would you describe her in three words?

"Warm, very caring but fierce. Fierce like her dad. There's a few moments where that comes out and that worries her. But I haven't hit anyone on the head with a laptop yet!"

Will Nicola have a dark side?

"I think anybody might if they were put in a situation where their entire life has just been turned upside down and they've found out their whole childhood was essentially a lie. I don't think that's going to sit well with the most angelic of personalities, so we'll have to see."

How does it feel to have joined the show?

"Mental. Two months ago, I was watching Corrie with my family shouting at Phelan! We have a saying in our house: 'Sit down and shut up, it's on'. No matter what, it's 'zip it', Corrie, wait for the break, carry on the discussion, then Corrie again.

"We were shouting at Phelan over Christmas, with all the Andy stuff, and then I got the call to say I'd be in it as his daughter. It's crazy, as I've watched Corrie since I was a kid."

What was the audition process like?

"There were a few rounds. It's actually the second time I've auditioned for Corrie, as I was screen-tested for Kate Connor two years ago. I was so nervous then that I had to throw some car keys on the bar at The Rovers and I threw them so hard they flew off the edge of the bar!

"Coming back, I wasn't so nervous about everything. I screen-tested with Connor the first time we met – and he's the opposite of Phelan, thank goodness. We have a lovely working relationship and he has become a 'set dad'.

"Connor really put me at ease on the day – he generously said: 'This is about you, tell me how I can help you'. We did it a couple of times and I maybe didn't let go as much as I should, then the director said 'you're on Corrie, go as far as you like'. On the last take I was screaming and crying and shouting and thought: 'If that's not it, I don't know what is!'"

How do you look back on the high heels campaign you did?

"That experience was the best experience, in terms of gaining confidence and being self-assured in what I'm doing."

Did that press coverage help you to get this part?

"No, nobody knew! I didn't want to tell them and I was worried. With any new job, you worry about rocking the boat. I'd rocked the boat at the previous new job and look how that turned out. I'm very proud of that campaign, but as an actress, I was worried people wouldn't want to go near that.

"But Corrie has an incredible history of strong, feisty women. When I did say 'look, I've kind of done this thing…' someone in the press department said 'oh yeah we've Googled you!' I wondered if it was okay and they were like 'no, it's brilliant!' Everyone's been super supportive, the cast who've known about it and Connor."

For those who don't know, what was the inspiration behind your campaign?

"I'd been fired [for refusing to wear high heels] and checked up on the rules behind it. I was told there's a grey area, because they can expect you to wear high heels because women wear high heels in regular life. I said that it's a sexualised element of dress which I don't think is necessary in an office and also in terms of health and safety, as they kill your feet.

"They said 'no that's the law, they can do that', so I said 'I'll try and change the law then!' I set up a petition, shared it on Facebook then it spiralled out of control. I definitely wasn't expecting that kind of reaction."

Have you always been the kind of person to fight for things?

"I've been brought up to fight for my own beliefs, not on a whim, but I think things through and if it's not right, I'll do something about it. It might seem like a really small issue – and it is, it's about shoes – but on the grander scale it's about how discrimination law works in this country.

"At the moment you have to pay £1,200 if you want to take a case through tribunal, which was only brought in a few years ago under the Tories. That's the big issue for me. The media went for the shoes angle, but for me it was about all kinds of discrimination. That's why I'll be continuing to fight that."

Did you take it to tribunal?

"If I'd taken it to tribunal, every woman in the country would have had to take it to tribunal, so what I tried to do was change the law so they wouldn't have to shell out £1,200. What person on zero hours minimum wage contract can afford that? I certainly couldn't. I thought I'd change the law so that doesn't have to happen, and I'll be continuing with trying to make that happen."

Does your character wear high heels?

"I said to costume: 'Is it okay if she doesn't wear heels for a while?' They said: 'Yeah, it's really difficult to walk in them on the cobbles!' So at the moment I've only worn flats, but I personally wear high heels for different occasions in real life, so I'm sure if my character was to do a scene in that scenario, I wouldn't have a problem doing that. It's very different playing a soap character than it is being a receptionist at an office."

What can you tell us about your own background?

"I'm from Blackpool and my parents run a rock factory there. If you cut us open, we'd have Blackpool rock running through us. I'm currently living on a narrow boat after buying one in London. I left her this morning in west London – I'm moving through London and potentially up to Manchester. Although it takes weeks to get there!

"I've been obsessed with boats and canals for years, so I'd always wanted to do it. At the moment I have to move every two weeks, but it's so fun and I love it."

Who have you bonded with on set?

"Connor is my on-set dad, and Sue Cleaver who plays Eileen is wonderful too. Bruno who plays Todd is super cheeky – I love him. There's a lovely, friendly atmosphere – people play pranks and they've taken me in. It's not just the cast but all the different departments, it's like a family. I've read that in interviews in the past and thought 'yeah right' but it's true. It's the best job."

So does Eileen give Nicola a warm welcome?

"Yes, she does. Eileen has to deal with her husband having a long lost child, but she's never really had girls around – although now she's got Shona. Sue likes it – she said 'I'm glad I've got female company'. We give the boys a run for their money."

Did you always want to be in the show?

"Well, any northern actress gets 'when are you in Corrie?' It's so nice to finally say 'Monday! Watch out!'

How do you feel about level of attention that will come with Corrie, especially having been through an experience with the media already?

"It comes with the job. Because of what happened last year, hopefully it will be a walk in the park, because that could've gone any which way and I wasn't in control of it at all. Overall it was overwhelmingly positive, because people who'd been discriminated against – and not just women – spoke up, or people messaged me to say 'thanks for standing up for something'.

"There was some negative, which was really interesting. There are some weird people on Twitter and stuff. The most shocking thing was certain friends who would make little comments. I'd have to reassure myself that I was doing the right thing, but if you believe in something, you have to see it through."

Coronation Street airs Nicola's arrival on Monday, June 12 at 7.30pm and 8.30pm on ITV.

Digital Spy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

swmc66 (11-06-2017)

Coronation Street actress Nicola Thorp has teased what's in store on the cobbles over the next few months.

During an appearance on ITV's Lorraine, the Nicola Rubenstein actress spoke about her character's recent discovery that Pat Phelan is her real father – although she's not aware he's a murderer just yet.

When he realised she was his daughter, the Weatherfield hard-man was reduced to tears, giving viewers a rare glimpse of his softer side.

Now, the question on everybody's lips is, will Pat confess all to his long-lost daughter?

"It's got to come out at some point," hinted Nicola. "He's got two choices; he can either own up to what he's done and hope she loves him for who he is, or does he do everything he can to hide it?

"All of that will be unfolding over the autumn – it's a really exciting time. If you don't already watch Corrie then now is the time to start!

"I can't reveal too much but what is going to happen over the next few months is going to make soap history!"

Hmm... We're not sure what the actress means by that but we'll be tuning in to find out.

Elsewhere during the interview, Nicola revealed that she had previously auditioned for Corrie to play another character on the cobbles, Kate Connor – but the role was giving to Faye Brookes instead.

Reflecting on why she was turned down, Nicola admitted: "I remember meeting Kym Marsh and I was such a nervous wreck!

"I was sweating so much and I got all my lines wrong. Luckily though, I got another chance two years later and here I am."

Digital Spy

A baby bombshell is set to send shockwaves through the Coronation Street cobbles and start a war between three families.

Weatherfield newcomer Nicola Rubenstein, played by Nicola Thorp, will slip between the sheets with fan favourite Gary Windass (Mikey North).

Nicola falls pregnant – and Gary is the father. And the baby news will bring family feuds to fever pitch.

Nicola recently discovered that she is the daughter of resident villain Pat Phelan (Connor McIntyre), the arch-enemy of Gary’s mum, Anna Windass (Debbie Rush).

Phelan manipulated Anna into sleeping with him to save her previous boyfriend, Owen Armstrong, from financial ruin.

Now they are going to be joined together by their grandchild.

And get ready for the Platts to wade into the fray.

That’s because Gary is dating Sarah Platt (Tina O’Brien), who will be left devastated by his betrayal.

A Corrie insider said: “The battle lines will be drawn and it’s safe to say that it’s going to be an explosive autumn in Weatherfield.

"Viewers need to hang on to their hats.”

mirror.co.u,

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (10-08-2017)

gary next in line to cheat no one ever faithful

anna and pat sharing a grandchild she will be linked to him forever

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (14-09-2017), tammyy2j (18-10-2017)

Not another baby storyline. This is ridiculous.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (14-09-2017)

I thought she was to already have a son, a teenager

I would think Gary is young for her, it is a shame to ruin him with Sarah and they fit well together

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

swmc66 (10-08-2017)

Thread Information