Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Karen Taylor (Lorraine Stanley)

is that star brag's mother

There's no avoiding it, EastEnders' Taylor family are coming.

It's not long now before the new additions arrive in Albert Square – Thursday, June 15 to be precise – and EastEnders' new trailer gives us a first look at them in action:

The five-strong family is headed up by actress Lorraine Stanley in her role as "loudmouth" single mum Karen. She's shown in the trailer asking (seemingly to anyone who'll listen): "Don't suppose one of you fancies putting the kettle on, do you?"

The people of Walford do not look impressed.

We later see Karen clashing with Sharon, then Stacey, who shouts: "Go on, have a go at me! I'll hit you so hard you won't be able to get up!"

Taylor family make their entrance on EastEnders
    © BBC

Along with mum Karen, there is "charming, happy-go-lucky" Keanu (Benidorm actor Danny Walters), who's described as protective of his siblings, as well as day-dreamer Bernadette (Clair Norris), and younger children Riley and Chatham (played by real-life brothers Tom and Alfie Jacobs), who both have learning difficulties.

They'll also be bringing family pets Bronson the dog, and Rooney the bearded dragon to the Square.

EastEnders' Jack just made a huge decision over Matthew
    The family has an air of mystery about it too – firstly in the form of another sister, an off-screen character called Chantelle, who lives nearby with her boyfriend and two children.

Secondly, EastEnders has revealed that there's a secret associated with the family...

Digital Spy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (06-06-2017)

With the promise of big storylines ahead for this rowdy new clan, Digital Spy and other media recently visited the EastEnders set to get some early gossip from Lorraine Stanley, who plays Karen.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/east...family-gossip/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (06-06-2017)

Don't they just seem like a charming bunch.

Was Lorraine Stanley in the show before?

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    Was Lorraine Stanley in the show before?
    Yes, she played Thelma Bragg before, mum of Linzi and apparently she played young Mo Harris in a 2004 spin-off, which explored the history of Mo and Pat Butcher.
    Last edited by Perdita; 06-06-2017 at 16:47. Reason: additional info added

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (06-06-2017), tammyy2j (06-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Yes, she played Thelma Bragg before, mum of Linzi and apparently she played young Mo Harris in a 2004 spin-off, which explored the history of Mo and Pat Butcher.
    That was very recent

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    That was very recent
    Yes, last year if I remember rightly from the few episodes I managed to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    With the promise of big storylines ahead for this rowdy new clan, Digital Spy and other media recently visited the EastEnders set to get some early gossip from Lorraine Stanley, who plays Karen.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/east...family-gossip/
    EastEnders introduces the show's bold and brash new family next week, as the Taylors descend on Albert Square and make their presence felt from the start.

The newcomers are headed up by no-nonsense single mum Karen, who's joining the Square with four of her children.

What brings the Taylors to Walford and where have they been beforehand?

"Beforehand they're from an estate. It's the same estate where Ted and Joyce lived, so that's how the Taylors know them. There's a bit of history there. Everyone who lives there is kicked out because it's being knocked down, so the Taylors are moving into social housing on the Square."

What's their arrival like?

"Full-on, loud, messy and chaotic!"

From the way they've been described, it sounds like the Taylors aren't bothered about making friends and are happy to annoy the neighbours! Is that right?

"I don't know – I suppose I wouldn't say it like that as Karen, because I think she's a friendly and loving person. But she's also got a mouth on her, and if people don't like her, then they don't like her.

"Karen is a people person and she really tries to get to know her neighbours. She stands outside her door, having a fag and she comments on what's going on. She's introducing herself to all of the people that pass by, so I think she's friendly and outgoing, but whether people like her is another matter!

"She does make friends, though. A lot of our stuff is the family getting in and bedding in. But I can see her and Denise getting on."

Who are they going to clash with on the Square?

"I think at the beginning they're going to generally clash with everyone. Karen is protective of her family, so if anyone's got a bad word to say about them, they're going to get it from her. It's not that they're going round the Square looking for trouble, but if Karen's kids are started on, she's in there!"

How did the part come about? Were you cherry-picked, or did you have to audition?

"I had to audition, so I came in and read. Afterwards I got a call and read with Danny [Walters, who plays Keanu] and I got the part."

It wasn't that long ago you were in the show as Linzi's mum Thelma. Did you think EastEnders perhaps wouldn't want you because of that?

"Yeah, part of me did. But then part of me thought if they were bringing me in, they must have been serious about it, because it'd be silly to waste my time.

"I had a really good audition and I love the show's casting director, Julia Crampsie, because she's always had my back. So I was chuffed to bits when I got the role. Part of me was like: 'It's too soon, it's too soon'. But this is the right character for me."

So what's Karen like?

"She's a lioness! She smokes 20 fags a day and she's a strong woman who loves her family. She's got a heart of gold, she would do anything for anyone and she would do time for her kids. That's the attitude she has."

Are all of the kids from the same dad?

"You'll have to find out!"

Has Karen got a job?

"No, she hasn't got a job. She's got two sons with learning difficulties and that takes up a lot of her time. That's a big part of our family. You'll see that people might initially think Karen is lazy and doesn't do anything.

"But actually when you dig deep, she's really looking after her kids and does everything for them. She's a strong woman, but she's not to be messed with. She doesn't take nothing off anyone!"

How much are you like her?

"I'm really, really... similar! (Laughs.) No, I'm joking. I'm a strong woman, but no, I'm not like her."

What else can you tell us about the family?

"Keanu is the man of the house and Karen has done really well, actually, to raise such a good son. She's a really good mum. There's a lot of unluckiness with the family. They are trying.

"I think it's quite political, actually. It's the divide between the rich and the poor and the underclass that you don't see, or people sort of brush under the carpet. I think that in society at the moment, that divide between rich and poor is so much wider than it's ever been. Or that's what it feels like. I think this is an example of a family where you can actually see why they're not getting on, because they keep just coming up against hurdles."

Is that what's made them so hard?

"Yeah, that toughens people – when you get knockbacks all the time. And I know it. I've grown up around it. I've got friends like it and it's tough. You're just literally stuck in a rut and it's a full circle. You just can't get out of it. I think that's where they're at. I think EastEnders are doing it well and I think it needs to be done."

Some people are already comparing the new family to the Millers...

"Well, I think the difference here with this family is that we can all be lazy but they're trying. They're triers, they're doing their best. We want to do better for ourselves. We're trying and trying, but we're hitting walls.

"We're not stereotyping – we're making them real people. They're real honest people that are just trying to get by in life. They haven't got a lot, but a lot of rich people and a lot of middle class people would love to have what our family has got, which is that family love.

"Hopefully a lot of people will watch and go: 'Do you know what? They haven't got nothing, but they've got that love'. A lot of people would envy that."

Do you hope they rub viewers up the wrong way at first, before we see a different side to them?

"Of course, yeah. That makes it more dramatic, doesn't it? Come in all 'roar' and then actually they're really nice. (Laughs.) I think that's what's gonna happen. We come in with a bang, and then you break us down. Everything we do is for a reason and it's not malicious. It's honest."

What can you tell us about Karen's two younger sons Riley and Chatham (played by real-life brothers Tom and Alfie Jacobs)?

"They go to a special school as they have learning difficulties. The actors have the same learning difficulties and it's quite personal to them, so at the moment we don't want to say too much, as they're just finding their way in it. It will be revealed in time, but it's a very specific condition and they're great to work with. It's quite brave of EastEnders as well to take on."

What is the family's pet dog like to work with?

"I've been brought up with staffys and I just love them. They've had bad press. And this dog is so beautiful. I think he's a cross between a staff and bullmastiff and he's just gorgeous. And they've chosen a specific dog to work with the young boys."

There's also another daughter called Chantelle, isn't there?

"Yeah, we don't know if she's even been cast yet, but she's mentioned."

What was your first day like on set like?

"I can't remember things like that! That was seven weeks ago, I've got a baby! (Laughs.) We were all very excited and nervous, and there was lots of adrenaline.

"I remember thinking: 'C'mon let's do this, lets 'av it! Let's go in there and just smash it'. I'd been here before, so it wasn't as daunting being on Albert Square."

Did you rehearse much beforehand?

"We didn't rehearse. The director specifically said not to rehearse, because he wanted it a bit messy. I think that works for us. I know that if I rehearse my lines too much, it becomes a bit too 'done'."

Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

"I'm 40, nearly 41. I had a baby the year before. When I did the previous character in EastEnders, the baby was only six weeks old and she's 19 months old now, so the timing is so much better now.

"I think EastEnders is the perfect job for a mum, because I've got her in her little nursery and her nan has her after nursery. Also, you're not in every day. It gets to a point where you're like: 'I need to do something for myself'. I was at home with her every day for 18 months, so it's nice to go out. So far it's been fine."

Where are you from?

"Originally I'm from Portsmouth, but I've lived in London for 20 years. I've lived all over London, I'm a gypsy like that."

Have you got a mentor from the cast?

"Yes, mine is Emma Barton, who I actually knew years ago. I did a BTEC from the age of 16 to 19 and we were in the same drama group, so it was nice to catch up with her."

Who is Karen based on?

"She's based on people that I've sort of grown up with – family. I daren't say it as my sister's called Karen, and she's not like her at all! But it's family, friends, and I grew up on an estate. I'm from that world, but I got out, grew up, moved out, went to drama school and did alright for myself, but that's where my roots are.

"It's not difficult to tap into that underclass. I remember that struggle well and I can tap into that when I want. So it's just people you meet along the way."

Why did you get into acting?

"Because I was always a joker, the class clown. I was always up on stage when we went to Butlins and stuff like that. When I first went to do my BTEC, they said: 'What do you want to do when you're older?' I was like: 'I wanna be a Redcoat'. I didn't think that being an actor was accessible for the likes of a working class estate girl.

"Then I did it more and more and I started to learn Shakespeare. Then I met some middle class friends and it took me to London and I learned Ibsen and Shakespeare, Chekhov and all that and really got into that. I took it more seriously and then I got into drama school."

Prior to this, what has been your career highlight?

"My career highlight is probably a film I did ten years ago, London to Brighton. I got a nomination for that. That was a big part of me getting lots of other work. If ever I go to a casting, if they've seen London to Brighton, I'm halfway there!

"But then other movies like Made In Dagenham and Suffragette. They're little parts, but they're big stories about women changing the world and quite political. Working with Tom Hardy in Legend was hard, it was difficult! (Laughs.)

"But I've managed to do lots of brilliant work – theatre, film and TV – but I've never had a series. It's always been one ep here and little stints here, I've never done any long-running stuff, so it's nice to have a bit of security now that I've got my baby."

Have you ever had to do other jobs that weren't acting?

"Oh God, yeah, I was waitressing right up until I found out. Even when I'd got the part on EastEnders, I was still waitressing. I freelance waitress so I work for lots of private chefs and we go to Knightsbridge and very well-to-do houses. I served royalty, lords and ladies. I've served Prince Charles, I've served lots of politicians, all sorts."

Can you give us a hint of what the Taylors' secret is?

"We can't tell you that! But there are secrets, of course, it's a soap. It's a good secret."

Is it connected to the Murrays and the gun?

"No!"

Can you tell us a bit about Karen's wardrobe?

"Do you know what? I chose everything that was too tight for her, because she thinks she's a size 12 and she's actually a size 16 – I'll be kind, 18 sometimes! So I chose that and I wanted it to be real, because there are women that you look at and they've got rolls of fat.

"I wear kaftans and I cover it, but she doesn't. She's one of those where it's all hanging out and she don't care. I've got no make-up on whatsoever, not even powder, not mascara. That's how I wanted it. No jewellery, I didn't want anything, as I wanted it to be as real as it could be. And then I looked at myself and went: 'What have I done? My fella's gonna leave me!' (Laughs.) Honestly, I look awful."

Do you think EastEnders works best when it concentrates on social issues?

"For me, it was always about real people... and drama. It's about finding the truth for people, and maybe sometimes along the way, it has lost the truth. Coronation Street is more theatrical, isn't it? But EastEnders for me is about being real and I hope that this family brings a slice of that back."

she lands a job at reopened laundrette

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Rear window (30-12-2017)

Thread Information