Thread: Neighbours and The Flying Doctors star Val Jellay dies aged 89

Unhappy Neighbours and The Flying Doctors star Val Jellay dies aged 89

Val Jellay, Neighbours actress and The Flying Doctors star, has passed away at the age of 89.

Her son, comedian Marty Fields, confirmed the sad news on Twitter today (May 6), sharing that the the actress died after a short battle with pneumonia.

"My mum, Val, passed away today of pneumonia," he wrote. "She lived an amazing life. She's back with her beloved Maurie now. I will miss her very much."
    View image on Twitter
    Follow
    Marty Fields @Martyfields
    My mum, Val, passed away today of pneumonia. She lived an amazing life. She's back with her beloved Maurie now.
    I will miss her very much.
    7:08 AM - 6 May 2017
    106 106 Retweets 597 597 likes
    Over the last week, Marty has been posting updates on Val's illness after she was admitted to hospital earlier this month, revealing that she was admitted to intensive care before her death.

Follow
    I'll be going off the air for a while.
    My mum is battling pneumonia in intensive care and it's getting worse so my focus is there.
    Marty x
    11:31 AM - 30 Apr 2017
    1 1 Retweet 53 53 likes
    Follow
    Mum update. On life support and fully sedated. We'll know more in 24-48 hours. She'll either get on top of the infection or it'll take her.
    12:00 PM - 1 May 2017
    1 1 Retweet 21 21 likes
    Follow
    Update: Mum is still fighting but there's been little change. They're making sure she's comfortable.
    1:33 PM - 2 May 2017
    3 3 Retweets 38 38 likes
    Val began her career when she was a child before rising up to become one of the biggest stars in vaudeville, before taking her talents to the small screen.

She was married to Australian actor Maurie Fields from 1960 until his death from a heart attack in 1995, and was probably best known for her role in The Flying Doctors where she appeared alongside Maurie as husband and wife duo Vic and Nancy Buckley, who ran the local hotel.

Val also appeared in Neighbours back in 2000 starring as Connie O'Rourke for several episodes.

Marty Fields and mother Val Jellay at the 52nd TV Week Logie Awards in 2010
    © SCOTT BARBOUR/GETTY IMAGES
    [Val with her son Marty]

Her other acting credits include Prisoner, Carson's Law, Young Ramsay, Bluey, Homicide, Division 4, The Librarians and Blue Heelers.

She was also an author, and her book So You Want To Be In Showbusiness, which documented her own experiences in the entertainment world, provided advice and support to actors looking for their big break.

I loved Flying Doctors when it was shown on UK tv and I remember her in quite a few other shows... I remember her and Maurie as pub landlords ... feels strange but I am really upset by this .. RIP Val xxx

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Pantherboy (06-05-2017), TaintedLove (02-06-2017)

Flying Doctors was an excellent show, loved it. Val & Maurie were great value as the pub landlords. You probably wouldn't have seen it, but on the old variety type show "Hey, Hey It's Saturday", Maurie used to do a segment called 'The Great Aussie Joke' which was hilarious (their son Marty ended up co-hosting this segment with him). I remember Val giving a moving tribute to Maurie at the Logie Awards after he passed away in the 90's. They mentioned her passing on the 6pm news here last night & showed some of her work, including her & Maurie in the pub on the Flying Doctors.

Val was a true legend of Australian stage & screen. RIP Val!
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 07-05-2017 at 00:14.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

lizann (08-05-2017), Perdita (07-05-2017)

i loved flying doctors, rip val

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Pantherboy (08-05-2017), Perdita (08-05-2017)

RIP Val. I liked Flying Doctors, I remember her well.
    So that`s two Aussie soap legends that has passed away this week. Lyn James the actress who played Helen Gordon in the Young Doctors also died this week. Used to love Young Doctors too.

Not to mention Corrie legend Roy Baraclough died yesterday. It`s not a very good week for losing soap legends is it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TaintedLove For This Useful Post:

Pantherboy (02-06-2017), Perdita (03-06-2017)

Thread Information