Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joyce and Ted Murray (Maggie Steed and Christopher Timothy)

Exclamation Joyce and Ted Murray (Maggie Steed and Christopher Timothy)

EastEnders is adding two legends of British TV and theatre to its cast later this year as Maggie Steed and Christopher Timothy get ready to join Albert Square.

Joyce and Ted Murray have been married for nearly 60 years and have lived in Walford all their lives, but they only come to Albert Square after having their lives upheaved when they're rehoused from a nearby estate.

And while their move into Albert Square will usher in new tensions and new drama, at least the Murrays already know at least one person in their new area – none other than the legendary Dot Branning (June Brown) herself.

Maggie said of her casting: "I am very much looking forward to having Christopher as my on-screen husband – he is a terrific actor. We're going to have lots of fun.

"And I'm incredibly excited to be joining what is such a well-established show."

Maggie has most recently appeared in the critically-acclaimed Chewing Gum and has previously starred in shows and productions at the Royal Shakespeare Company and the National Theatre, including Richard III in 2014, which also starred Martin Freeman.

Former All Creatures Great and Small star Christopher Timothy also shared his excitement at the new role.

"The most exciting thing about joining EastEnders is not only that I'll be back on the television, but I'll also be working with Maggie.

"I have admired her for a long time. She is one of my favourite actresses. Filming not just our first scenes but our first episode together will be like first night in the theatre – very exciting indeed.

"And of course, I'm looking forward to meeting all the cast who I've been used to seeing on TV over the years."

Executive producer Sean O'Connor also teased an exciting time ahead for the new arrivals, adding: "The Murrays are a breath of fresh air to Walford having achieved a long-standing marriage.

"But it's not long before echoes of the past catch up with them. I'm very excited to see what these wonderful performers – and these fascinating characters – bring to Albert Square."

Digital Spy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (02-04-2017), tammyy2j (04-04-2017)

Christopher Timothy and Maggie Steed will be joining EastEnders later this spring to play married couple Ted and Joyce Murray.
    Husband and wife Ted and Joyce have been married for nearly 60 years and although the Murrays have lived in Walford all their life, their move to Albert Square is not solely their choice as they are being rehoused from a nearby estate.
    Although the move is a big upheaval for them, the Murrays are not complete strangers to those in Albert Square as they already know the legendary Dot Branning.

Christopher Timothy (centre) in All Creatures Great and Small with Robert Hardy and Peter Davison
    Speaking about his signing to the soap, All Creatures Great and Small star Timothy said: "The most exciting thing about joining EastEnders is not only that I’ll be back on the television, but I’ll also be working with Maggie.
    "I have admired her for a long time. She is one of my favourite actresses. Filming not just our first scenes but our first episode together will be like first night in the theatre – very exciting indeed.
    "And of course, I’m looking forward to meeting all the cast who I’ve been used to seeing on TV over the years.”

Maggie Steed with Richard Griffiths in Pie in the Sky
    Maggie Steed - whose screen credits include Born & Bred, Pie in the Sky and Chewing Gum - added: "I am very much looking forward to having Christopher as my on-screen husband - he is a terrific actor. We’re going to have lots of fun. I’m incredibly excited to be joining what is such a well-established show."
    Sean O'Connor, executive producer at EastEnders, said of the upcoming drama: "I’m delighted to welcome Maggie and Christopher to Albert Square. They are both already much-loved by audiences and it’s wonderful to have attracted such esteemed and acclaimed actors to the EastEnders cast.
    "The Murrays are a breath of fresh air in Walford having achieved a long–standing marriage. But it’s not long before echoes of the past catch up with them. I’m very excited to see what these wonderful performers - and these fascinating characters - bring to Albert Square."
    Radio times.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kaz21 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (02-04-2017)

I love the sound of these castings! Christopher Timothy brings back all kinds of nostalgia for me from his days on All Creatures Great and Small. I also used to really like him in Doctors (and gave up watching after he left).

I'm not that familiar with Maggie Steed but know she has a reputation as a very good actress.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Perdita (02-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    I love the sound of these castings! Christopher Timothy brings back all kinds of nostalgia for me from his days on All Creatures Great and Small. I also used to really like him in Doctors (and gave up watching after he left).

I'm not that familiar with Maggie Steed but know she has a reputation as a very good actress.
    Loved Maggie Steed in Pie In The Sky with the much missed Richard Griffiths, Born And Bred and Jam And Jerusalem.... Dazzle, you surely have seen those programmes? Welcome back too, noticed you have been absent a few weeks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (02-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Loved Maggie Steed in Pie In The Sky with the much missed Richard Griffiths, Born And Bred and Jam And Jerusalem.... Dazzle, you surely have seen those programmes? Welcome back too, noticed you have been absent a few weeks
    Thanks!

I must admit that I didn't watch Pie in the Sky or Born and Bred. I think I watched Jam and Jerusalem but don't really remember much about it (except that it was funny).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Perdita (02-04-2017)

why not just bring back les and pam

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

kaz21 (03-04-2017), mysangry (10-04-2017), tammyy2j (04-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post

Perhaps the animal centre or medical centre will have a new manager

at last some newbies, bit sick of all these pathetic story lines that are mundane and not going anywhere!
    Why they brought Michelle back for is beyond me, her story is so boring

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mysangry For This Useful Post:

kaz21 (10-04-2017)

EastEnders will welcome Ted and Joyce Murray next week – but they are bringing a very dark secret to Walford with them.

The BBC soap recently announced that TV and theatre stars Maggie Steed and Christopher Timothy would be joining the cast as the Murray couple.

And fans haven't got long to wait until we meet Ted and Joyce as they will be turning up in Albert Square in upcoming scenes, ready to embark on a new adventure.

Eastenders: Ted & Joyce arrive at their new home. Sharon introduces herself.
    © BBC

We will first meet Ted and Joyce as they prepare for their big move to Walford – saying goodbye to their flat and the life they currently know.

The pictures show the pair settling into their new home and even meeting their new neighbours. But as ever, things don't get off to the best of starts for the newbies when Joyce realises that Ted has broken a promise for a fresh start and bought a piece of the past with him.

We will have to wait and see what this is for now, but EastEnders' high-octane spring trailer suggested that the couple might know the show's other new arrivals – the Taylor family.

But what are they hiding? And could the Taylors be connected to their secret?

Eastenders: Ted & Joyce arrive at their new home.
    © BBC

EastEnders air Joyce and Ted's arrival on Friday, May 26 on BBC One.

Digital Spy

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (16-05-2017)

Of course they have a secret, is that Jack's house as in Roxy and Ronnie's house they are moving into?

Thread Information