Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derek Griffiths joins Coronation Street

Derek Griffiths joins Coronation Street

Actor and legendary children's TV presenter Derek Griffiths is to join the cast of Coronation Street in the new year.

Derek Griffiths - Coronation Street - ITV
    Derek will play retired mechanic Freddie, a pensioner who strikes up an unlikely friendship with Kylie Platt following the death of his wife, a beauty client of Kylie's.

Derek, 69, will be known to many Corrie viewers as the face of iconic children's series Play School and Play Away during the 60s, 70s and 80s.

He also has an impressive acting CV, working with the RSC for two years, appearing in numerous West End productions (including Miss Saigon and Two Gentlemen of Verona) as well as dozens of TV shows. He has recently finished filming Silent Witness.

Motorbike loving Freddie will ride onto the cobbles in March. Through Kylie he finds new friends and a surrogate community in the Street.

Speaking about joining the soap Derek said:

"I remember being a young boy and watching Violet Carson on Coronation Street. She was a brilliant character that people loved to hate and later when I became an actor and played the villain in panto many times those are qualities I would bring to the role.

"When I came for my audition one of the first things I saw was a huge photo of Violet Carson on the wall. I am very much looking forward to walking in those hallowed footsteps."

Coronation Street Producer Stuart Blackburn said:

"I was utterly delighted when Derek accepted this role and I can not wait to work with him and see him on the cobbles, it really will be a happy new year!"
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (16-12-2015), maidmarian (16-12-2015), swmc66 (17-12-2015)

I remember Derek well from Play School and Play Away.

Kylie confesses to him and it all comes out?

Excellent news. I bet he helps move the body.

Derek Griffiths stepped onto the cobbles for his first scenes on Coronation Street on Monday (January 25).

The former children's TV star has joined the ITV soap as retired mechanic Freddie, who strikes up "an unlikely friendship" with Kylie Platt (Paula Lane).

Freddie's introductory storyline sees him left devastated after his wife passes away. He gets to know Kylie as his late partner was one of her beauty clients, and his friendship with her will lead to him finding a "surrogate community" on the Street.

Griffiths will first be seen on Corrie in March and is best known for being the face of Play School and Play Away in the '70s and '80s.

Derek Griffiths films Coronation Street scenes with Kylie Platt (Paula Lane)
    © Rex Shutterstock

"I remember being a young boy and watching Violet Carson on Coronation Street," he commented when talking about his new role in December. "I am very much looking forward to walking in those hallowed footsteps."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (26-01-2016), maidmarian (26-01-2016)

He's on the Tracy Ulman show on BBC one

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post

Griffiths will first be seen on Corrie in March and is best known for being the face of Play School and Play Away in the '70s and '80s.
    Griffiths did present Play School and Play Away for a short time, but there is no doubt that "the face" of Play School and Play Away was Brian Cant.
    Last edited by parkerman; 27-01-2016 at 23:00.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (30-01-2016)

Yes that's true. There was a woman as well for years but cannot remember her name

Quote Originally Posted by swmc66 View Post
    Yes that's true. There was a woman as well for years but cannot remember her name
    I remember Floella Benjamin but there were others too

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (30-01-2016)

Toni Arthur was a long time presenter.

Thread Information