Former Coronation Street star Adam Rickitt is making an exciting return to the soap world with a brand new role in Hollyoaks, Digital Spy can exclusively reveal.

The actor is best known for playing the second incarnation of Corrie's Nick Tilsley, but he now looks set to cause fireworks in Chester as part of a new storyline for Nancy and Darren Osborne.

Adam is playing guest character Kyle, an ex-boyfriend of Nancy who bumps into her at a support meeting next month.

Like Nancy, Kyle is living with MS – and old feelings between the pair will come back to the surface as they reminisce over the past.

Adam Rickitt as Kyle in Hollyoaks
© LIME PICTURES
Afterwards, the big question for Hollyoaks fans will be whether Kyle's arrival could cause trouble for Nancy and Darren's popular relationship.

Of course, this is the fast-paced world of Hollyoaks, so viewers should brace themselves for other surprises – with show insiders hinting that Kyle may have other connections in the village too. With some major twists and turns in store, Hollyoaks fans will just have to watch this space.

Speaking about his new job, Adam revealed: "I am really happy to be joining Hollyoaks. I've had a lot of friends work on the show throughout the years and they've all told me what an amazing place it is to work, so it's really good to be a part of such a welcoming crowd.

"The key interest for me was in the storylines lined up for Kyle. I think they are amazing, taking the character on a real journey and something I am really enjoying playing a part in.

"Fingers crossed the audience like the surprises as they keep coming."

Adam played Corrie's Nick Tilsley – who's now portrayed by Ben Price – on and off between 1997 and 2004.

He's also had even more soap experience since then, playing Kieran Mitchell on New Zealand's Shortland Street between 2007 and 2010.

Away from Soapland, Adam is also known for his singing career, including the release of his debut single 'I Breathe Again' in 1999 and appearing on ITV2's The Big Reunion in 2014.