Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clive Gibbons (Geoff Paine)

Exclamation Clive Gibbons (Geoff Paine)

Neighbours has given fans a real blast from the past by bringing back Clive Gibbons after 28 years.

Geoff Paine has reprised his role as Clive on a recurring basis and his return scenes air on Channel 5 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm today (March 9).

Clive was a regular character on Neighbours between 1986 and 1987, before returning briefly again in 1989.

Back then Clive was a doctor, but he's clearly risen through the ranks over the years as his new storyline sees him unveiled as the latest Chief Operating Officer at Erinsborough Hospital.

Hit play below to see Clive in action back in the day, with Max Ramsay stubbornly refusing to believe that he's a doctor:

Today's episode sees Clive have a meeting with David Tanaka and Aaron Brennan, before getting a chance to catch up with Paul Robinson at The Waterhole.

Of course, this means plenty of clever references to the past, including Gail, Scott, Charlene and even Clive's history running a gorillagram agency.

Neighbours boss Jason Herbison first teased Clive's return in an interview with Digital Spy late last year.

Clive Gibbons returns to Neighbours
    © FREMANTLE MEDIA

Speaking at the time, he explained: "We are reintroducing a character from the 1986/87 regular cast on a recurring basis, which has been a lot of fun.

"This person returns in a work environment and my hope is to see them pop in and out."

Digital Spy

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Aussieguy (10-03-2017), MellBee (09-03-2017), Pantherboy (09-03-2017), tuckec01 (09-03-2017)

is he their father

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    is he their father
    He can't be lol, they're clearly Udagawas - at least the way that Jasmine was talking and the digging that Leo did suggests that they are.

It's possible that he delivered them or knows who did but unlikely he's the father.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussieguy For This Useful Post:

kaz21 (10-03-2017)

Clive Gibbons gets thrown back into some classic Neighbours drama next week as Leo Tanaka threatens him at the hospital.

Long-time fans of the show were recently delighted to see Geoff Paine reprise his role as Clive after a whopping 28 years away from the Aussie soap.

Upcoming episodes see Clive get embroiled in one of the show's biggest secrets as Leo and David Tanaka (Tim Kano and Takaya Honda) realise that he could be deceiving them over their father.

David fears the worst when he sees Jasmine Udagawa paying a suspicious visit to Clive at the Erinsborough Hospital.

Leo Tanaka and Amy Williams confront Clive Gibbons in Neighbours
    © CHANNEL 5
    When David does some digging to find out why, he hears that Jasmine has just made a very generous donation to the hospital, which also seems pretty dodgy.

As Jasmine's charitable act coincided with the Tanakas asking Clive for information on their long-lost father, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that she may have discreetly bought his silence.

Although David keeps quiet with his suspicions, Leo isn't so tactful and heads to the hospital for a showdown with Clive.

Backed up by his love interest Amy Williams (Zoe Cramond), a furious Leo accuses Clive of taking donations at the hospital in exchange for favours and even threatens to report him for corruption.

When Clive gives his side of the story, will it be the truth and could Leo take it further?

© CHANNEL 5

© CHANNEL 5

Neighbours airs these scenes on Thursday, March 30 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

Digital Spy

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

badirene (20-03-2017), MellBee (25-03-2017), Pantherboy (20-03-2017)

Digital Spy article:

Neighbours star Geoff Paine reveals all on Clive and Sheila's future… and whether he'll return for good.

Plus, could his famous gorilla suit make a reappearance?

Who'd have thought that we'd ever see Clive Gibbons back on Ramsay Street? Neighbours fans have seen the classic '80s character reintroduced to Erinsborough life over the last year – taking on a top job at the local hospital and dating comedy queen Sheila Canning.

Geoff Paine, who plays Clive, caught up with Digital Spy during a recent trip to the UK – sharing some gossip about his character's future with Sheila, that famous gorilla suit, and whether he'll ever become a Neighbours regular again.

How did it feel to return to Neighbours after a huge 28-year gap?

"It's been pointed out to me today that it was briefly a Neighbours record! I wish I'd known that because I've never had a record for anything – especially absence!

"It's felt great to come back to Neighbours after all of these years. I've been warmly received by the cast, the writers and everyone else. I've come back to something that feels incredibly familiar."

Was it a big surprise when you got the call to come back?

"Not really, as they'd asked me back a couple of times over the years, but the timing wasn't right. Now my family has grown up and the time finally is right.

"It feels like coming back to something that I knew well and really enjoyed. The core essence of Neighbours is still there, although the machine that makes it is totally different. Everything has changed and yet nothing has changed!"

How did you prepare for coming back? Did you watch any old clips?

"I did. I've also got friends who have worked in different departments at Neighbours. So I spoke to them about the characters, watched bits of the series and had a bit of a crash course.

"I've had Colette Mann, who plays Sheila, as my mentor. She's very much taken me under her wing. If I've got any questions, Colette's the person I go to. Questions like 'Who's that?' and 'Who's the father of that?' (Laughs.) She just knows straight away."

These days, Clive is the COO of the Erinsborough Hospital. Is it nice to come back in a position of power?

"Well what's funny is that Clive spent a lot of time in a gorilla suit previously because of his gorillagram agency, and now he's chief operations officer! His role is a lot more serious.

"But he's also got a cheeky side that's bubbling under there. I think that's what Sheila is bringing out – the cheeky side that had been part of the character and is looking to resurface."

Are you a fan of Clive's relationship with Sheila? Do you think they make a good match?

"Definitely. I've known Colette for years and we make each other laugh. It's terrific to work with someone that you know and can have fun with on set. It's lovely to have that sort of chemistry reveal itself on screen."

Because you're popping in and out of the show, are Clive and Sheila doomed to keep breaking up and making up?

"I think you've just described any relationship in any soap ever! (Laughs.) It will never be completely smooth, but their relationship is going to get much closer. It won't be any less complicated, but it will get closer."

Would you be interested in being a regular cast member again if Neighbours offered you the opportunity?

"It will be interesting to see. I've got other commitments at the moment too – I work at a university, so I'm busy with another part of my life as well. But I'm so enjoying Neighbours, so who knows what will happen?"

What was it like to be part of Neighbours during the '80s heyday when 20 million were watching in the UK?

"It was like an out-of-body experience, I've got to say. Nobody doing the show in Australia had any notion that it was going to pick up the way it did. It sort of exploded overnight and suddenly it was this giant thing.

"That early success has instigated a relationship that's lasted for 30 years. With all of the changes in entertainment, this show is still going and it's a tribute to that relationship."

Was it obvious back then that Kylie and Jason would go on to be huge stars?

"No-one knew what to expect, but Neighbours for a lot of people was a rocket that fired them into the stratosphere. It's been great. It's brilliant to see people appearing in Hollywood movies or releasing albums after being in the show. It's fantastic to think how many people have come through Neighbours and have gone on to do much bigger and better things."

All these years later, how do you look back on Clive's days in a gorilla suit?

"I have to say, it's a question that's really hit social media big-time – will Clive get back into a gorilla suit at some point? I'm sure discussions are going on at the moment! I even made a joke on social media that the suit would need dry cleaning after 30 years – nobody wants to get back into rubber and hair after that long!

"What was lovely initially was that Clive was a wacky and spontaneous character who had so much fun. There was almost nothing he couldn't do. I think that's what Sheila is bringing out in a much more mature man – that wackiness, the joy and the cheekiness.

"Watch this space as a gorilla may appear. Although no gorillas will be harmed in the making of the series!"

What's brought you over to the UK?

"I am here to visit my son, who lives and works in London. He's been here for nearly a year, so we're having a great time. We're heading up to Scotland for a driving holiday too. But my wife will be staying a bit longer than me because I need to get back for the next block they're doing in Neighbours!"

Neighbours airs on weekdays at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

HarryHedgehog (21-02-2018), MellBee (22-02-2018), Ruffed_lemur (21-02-2018), TaintedLove (21-02-2018)

Digital Spy article:

Neighbours shock for Clive Gibbons as Xanthe Canning catches him naked
    This is sure to make life awkward.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/neig...gibbons-naked/

Neighbours teen Xanthe Canning is left mortified next week as she walks in on Clive Gibbons naked with her gran Sheila.

Xanthe (Lilly Van Der Meer) faces the very embarrassing moment when Clive and Sheila play an X-rated game in their living room.

The hilarious storyline begins when Dipi Rebecchi feels guilty for distracting her husband Shane from his VCE commitments.

Dipi learns that her Flapper! rehearsals have left Shane behind with his revision, so she's determined to make things right.

To make it up to Shane, mischievous Dipi suggests a very unique way to study – giving him a pop quiz and taking off an item of clothing every time he gets an answer correct.

When Dipi's efforts work wonders with Shane, she tips off Sheila (Colette Mann) about how a similar tactic could help her too.

Soon enough, Sheila ropes in Clive (Geoff Paine) to do the same thing for her – telling him to quiz her and put on a similar strip show for each correct answer.

Sheila's knowledge ensures that Clive quickly loses his clothes, and the happy couple enjoy every minute of their fun time together.

Unfortunately, things quickly turn sour when Xanthe walks in on the pair at the worst possible moment. How will she feel when she's confronted by Clive in all his glory?

Neighbours airs these scenes on Wednesday, August 1 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

badirene (23-07-2018), MellBee (23-07-2018)

Hasn't poor Xanthe been through enough trauma

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aussieguy For This Useful Post:

badirene (23-07-2018), kaz21 (23-07-2018), lizann (23-07-2018), Pantherboy (23-07-2018), tammyy2j (24-07-2018)

i thought clive was around paul's age so younger than sheila

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    i thought clive was around paul's age so younger than sheila
    Think he is late 50's like Paul. Colette Mann is late 60's

Thread Information