Page 542 of 1135 FirstFirst ... 424424925325405415425435445525926421042 ... LastLast
Results 5,411 to 5,420 of 11343

Thread: Coronation Street - Current Episode Discussion - V

I'd prefer to hear your analysis of two characters in EastEnders, how Phil is treated as the second coming of Al Capone and the Kray twins while being irresistible to women and Max Branning for, well, everything.

In answer to the point about David, someone said he was a great character, and the answer was that he wasn't due to his physical size, it just seemed to suggest that someone can only be defined in how they look.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jadefalcon For This Useful Post:

parkerman (14-01-2021), Perdita (15-01-2021), Son of Cain (15-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadefalcon View Post
    I'd prefer to hear your analysis of two characters in EastEnders, how Phil is treated as the second coming of Al Capone and the Kray twins while being irresistible to women and Max Branning for, well, everything.

In answer to the point about David, someone said he was a great character, and the answer was that he wasn't due to his physical size, it just seemed to suggest that someone can only be defined in how they look.
    When casting is done a huge factor is physical appearance before acting talent. Someone who just doesnt look the part will rarely be offered it however talented they are.
    Last edited by LouiseP; 14-01-2021 at 16:49.

I thought this was a 'Coronation Street' forum?

Haven't watched Eastenders in about 15 years?

However, despite both advancing years (and waistlines) at very least Steve McFadden looks (or looked) the part from the moment he (and Ross Kemp) came into the show. I stopped watching it for the very reasons you cited (too much crime, gangsters, etc) but you'd find that any real-life resident hard-man usually attract all the women (wheras the nice guys rarely get the girls) I'll take your word for it, that his character (although pushing 60) is still ruling albert square (but that's more down to lazy scriptwriting and doesn't deter that at very least McFadden looks like a nasty piece of work....thus, the 'part' he's playing)

Shifting back to 'Coronation Street' (if I may?) It appears that in recent years, Gary Windass is the local 'crime-boss/hardman' (Mikey North isn't exactly 'Charles Bronson.....but he has enough of a back-story to warrant such a reputation, army, PTSD, criminal-dealings, etc) and yet once again (similar lazy) scriptwriting undone any (and all) such build-up, by having him put in a coma at the hands of a (quote) "six-stone, bouffont (comb-over) haired, skinny-jean-wearing, plum-mouthed, 21st-century 'Metrosexual' Man-Boy"
    Which in turn, ruins the credibilty of both characters to ever convincingly co-exist in their respective roles again?

You may well enjoy the 'character' (taste is subjective, after all) but the fact remains that Jack Shepherd looks like a physical weakling (compared to EVERY other character in the show.....Maureen Lipman would easily take him in a fight) yet he seems to get all the (frankly, inappropriate) storylines that belie his appearence and overall demeanour. I'm sure he's a really nice person in real life (but the crazy, aggressive, street-fighting stud traits are COMPLETELY beyond both his looks and range) and that is why I don't find his character (nor the writing that accompanies such) believable.

Personally, I'd sooner the show have no gangsters, tough-guys, comas, rapes (nor box-ticking agendas) and preferably focus on gentle drama (like it used to) but hey, that's just me (and like I said, taste is subjective) All I ask is that (at very least) he LOOK the part he's playing?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thin space man For This Useful Post:

Dennis tanner (16-01-2021), Perdita (15-01-2021)

While this might sound harsh, I must admit to feeling practically no sympathy for Peter, this is the Xth time he's been drinking himself (now literally) to death. and its a rinse and repeat storyline. I know we're probably meant to find some sympathy for him and that alcoholism is an illness, but really the storyline has been redone far too often.

Also, I really can't blame Asha and Adi's lack of excitement at Dev's 'big surprise gift', a bloody sign, underwhelming or what.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jadefalcon For This Useful Post:

Brucie (15-01-2021), lizann (15-01-2021), parkerman (15-01-2021)

When did David put Gary in a coma, what did he do to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Cain View Post
    When did David put Gary in a coma, what did he do to him?
    In the boxing ring (of all places) see what I mean about stretching 'character' credibility?

See here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmK0G6mziLs
    Last edited by thin space man; 15-01-2021 at 11:43.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thin space man For This Useful Post:

Son of Cain (15-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by thin space man View Post
    In the boxing ring (of all places) see what I mean about stretching 'character' credibility?

See here:
    I blame Josh!

Quote Originally Posted by thin space man View Post

See here:
    Thanks - I forgot about that, but I suppose it was just possible, David being consumed with rage after being raped. In the Glasgow of my youth it was the little guys you had to watch out for, they all had a chip on their shoulder. A friend of mine was badly beaten by a wee guy who had to jump up off the ground to head butt him in the face.
    Last edited by Son of Cain; 15-01-2021 at 13:09.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Son of Cain For This Useful Post:

parkerman (15-01-2021), Perdita (15-01-2021)

Alina coming to stay? - Better pick up another toilet roll Tyrone!

Why is Aadi speaking like James Cagney?
    Sent from my desktop computer using my fingers on the keyboard.

Thread Information