Page 157 of 1123 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167207257657 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 11228

Thread: Coronation Street - Current Episode Discussion - V

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    what a poxy food fight and how can ches sack gemma, dev is the boss
    Ches is the manager, would have thought that gives him the right to hire and fire on Dev's behalf?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Splashy (15-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Ches is the manager, would have thought that gives him the right to hire and fire on Dev's behalf?
    He may have the right to hire and fire on Dev's behalf but I doubt he would be justified in firing Gemma for personal reasons if she went to a tribunal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Son of Cain For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (15-03-2018)

powerful preaching from pat to billy
    Yes, there were some much needed saying words tonight... Chesney to Gemma, Pat to Billy and Gemma to Leanne and Eva.
    Sent from my desktop computer using my fingers on the keyboard.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagglepus For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (15-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Cain View Post
    Just watched Kate Oates on BBC Breakfast talking about the up coming David Platt story. Thought she looked very smug and self satisfied with herself talking about the meticulous research into detail they carried out. She certainly did not do that with the Phelan in the concrete story. They were pouring concrete in freezing conditions which would have prevented ot setting correctly. They showed a ready mix lorry on sight but no driver to observe Phelan's activities. The concrete was thin and watery with no sign of ballast in it. The hose delivering it looked to be coming from a great height far to high to be connected to the lorry. If it was connected to a mixing plant on site who was operating it. If they repeat this level of detail in the rape story I don't hold much hope that it will be true to life.
    Besides turning likeable characters to unlikeable and running some storylines too long and others short, Kate Oates is ruining the show for me

Josh is quite an interesting character and the actor is very good in the role

Audrey watching Netflix. Yeah right.
    The People's Channel

quite full on with drugged david and josh scene even if nothing was really shown

did josh also take ghb?

will fiz be taking hope to see a therapist like for ruby now hope is the demonic child not ruby

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Splashy (17-03-2018), tammyy2j (20-03-2018)

Whilst I understand the show has to move with the times (and that cliffhangers have to be a bit more exciting than 'Ken getting shortchanged for a loaf of bread at Alf's Mini-mart') the only thing tonights episode highlighted, was that it's rapidly becoming a 20 minute infomercial for various 'helplines' (and little else)

As if the last 12 month antics of Pat Phelan weren't downbeat (not to mention, farfetched) enough (what with his various ongoing grudges, dodgy dealings, murders, kidnappings and undiscovered daughter) But tonights episode was the worst yet (and maybe that's the point...because the show now just seems determined to out-do itself with every new episode) General entertainment has taken a back seat to social commentary.

It wouldn't be half as bad if they didn't rush the exposition so badly.....but this is what the show seems to do nowadays (the recent OCD storyline being a recent embarrassing notable)

The show itself is full of overely dramatic cliffhangers (that yesteryears viewers would usually have to wait years for) wedged in before ad breaks (or to ensure that you tune back in at 8:30) and usually the outcome is swiftly forgotten or quickly dealt with by the time the show restarts.....and such dramatic cliffhangers occur almost every week (seemingly intent to provide 'TV QUICK' style magazines the prerequisite 'sensationalist' headlines)

An indication of how bad the show is getting, was when David was (rather nonchalantly) describing his mothers previous 5 or 6 husbands (one of which was a serial killer) and yet it just highlighted hòw far-fetched the show has become, when such a catologue of pain and misery heaped one *ONE* family on a street, could just be so casually mentioned in (what was supposed to be) a 'lighter' moment in the show? And then to crown off such absurdity, David was then drugged and homosexually raped (and I thought Elsie Tanner had it bad, back in the day?) I felt compelled to watch the news afterwards (which felt 'upbeat' by comparison)

I'm just a straight white guy (who thankfuly hasn't been affected by gender, disabilty, alcohol or rape issues) and if I had, then I'd certainly seek more professional advice, than from a programme that's shoe-horned inbetween talking meerkats?

Perhaps ITV should have a helpline for people 'affected' by the fact that their favourite shows are becoming bogged down in lazy, patronising, virtue-signalling for whatever atrocity is in the headlines that week?
    Last edited by thin space man; 17-03-2018 at 00:13.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thin space man For This Useful Post:

lizann (17-03-2018), LouiseP (17-03-2018), RogerOver (17-03-2018), Ruffed_lemur (17-03-2018), sakeoffrik (20-03-2018), Splashy (19-03-2018), tammyy2j (20-03-2018)

Excellent summation. Thanks thin space man

quite full on with drugged david and josh scene even if nothing was really shown

did josh also take ghb?

will fiz be taking hope to see a therapist like for ruby not hope is the demonic child not ruby
    Yes, he did

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (18-03-2018), Splashy (19-03-2018)

I think the real problem here is the context, as thin space man mentioned in his post. Yes, male rape does occasionally happen in real life and yes, it's a terrible thing and I have every sympathy for the victims, who obviously need a lot of support. And yes, it probably does need to be "dealt with" on tv, in some way. But... is a soap that's broadcast at 7.30 p.m the best place for it?
    Surely a "proper" programme, going out later at night, can cover it much better than a soap that is already crowded with storylines (some of which are also "relevant" and important)?

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to emerald For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (17-03-2018), sakeoffrik (20-03-2018), tammyy2j (20-03-2018), thin space man (17-03-2018)

Thread Information