Casualty will be waving goodbye to Sam Strachan later this year, but don't worry - actor Tom Chambers has promised he'll be back.

Former Holby City character Sam has been appearing in Casualty intermittently for the past few years, but has become more of a permanent fixture since his daughter Grace was seriously injured in an accident.

Although it has never been clear how long Sam would be sticking around for, the show's producer Erika Hossington recently told Digital Spy that he would be staying put in the ED for a while.

Tom has now confirmed that he has commitments elsewhere towards the end of the year - but is planning to return to Casualty afterwards.

Grace, Connie and Sam in Casualty
© BBC ALISTAIR HEAP
"I'm contracted on another job later in the year, a musical called Crazy for You," he told Inside Soap. "We did a stint last year at the Watermill Theatre in Newbury, and we're touring it around the UK - it's my favourite musical, so I'm chuffed to be doing it.

"I think Casualty was hoping it would fall through so I could stay on a bit longer - but I've promised I'll be back as soon as the tour is over."

Before he disappears again, there is plenty of drama in store for Sam - as Erika revealed in our big spoiler interview that he will go up against the team after getting a permanent job at the hospital.

Connie Beauchamp and Grace Beauchamp in Casualty
© BBC
She said: "Sam is going to get a job in the hospital and he will be pitted against the rest of the team, which is where the strike comes from.

"That will take us up to the midpoint of the series and the stories that drive us through to the end will all come from that strike."

Digital Spy