Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Emmerdale 2017

With the devastating death of Ashley Thomas, the heartbreaking reveal that Faith Dingle endured a double mastectomy and the sizzling tension in Pierce Harris and Rhona Goskirk’s destructive relationship, as well as the mystery surrounding Jai Sharma’s new friend Nell, there is a lot going on in Emmerdale – and the pace of the drama isn’t likely to die down any time soon.
    Metro.co.uk recently nabbed some time to chat with series producer Iain MacLeod about what lies ahead for some of the show’s biggest characters, why Emmerdale is in such a strong place and his pride around the bittersweet ending for Ashley.
    Here is what he revealed to us:

Has the Ashley storyline been a particular highlight for you?

Certainly it’s up there – nearly everyone of us has some sort of direct or indirect experience of dementia so what makes me proud is when people tell us that we have got it right. I have read the letter of a lady who contacted us to say how her husband has gone into a care home and gave away his wedding ring and how our portrayal of such a similar situation has brought some daylight into her life – that kind of stuff is something that you can’t put into words. It makes viewing figures seem trivial.
    What’s the secret to Emmerdale’s ongoing awards success?

I don’t want to jinx it but what I’ve always liked is the variety of stories – at times it can be very poignant, at times it can be very funny, at times it can be outright silly and it can also be sexy and shocking – most soaps aspire to having that mix all of the time and we’ve had, since before I got here, a long run of really brilliant, varied stories that are ticking all of those different boxes so I think it’s that, as far as possible, you have to try and be all things to all people. If you get that right even some of the time, then you’re halfway there.
    Would you say there is there anything missing from the show?
    Oddly enough, I’ve been saying I’d really like to see a character that is covered head to toe in tattoos and body piercings – I’ve no idea why! It’s not something I have discussed with anybody but that’s a character you don’t often see in soaps – somebody quite alternative would be interesting, firstly to shake up people’s preconceptions of that kind of subculture and secondly, it’s just something different visually and quite striking.
    In terms of story and character mix, broadly we have a really good range from people who can carry really serious stories and people who can carry silly, comedy stories – some of those characters are the same, for instance Paddy and Marlon. They can do really silly but they can also break your heart and I think the stuff that Mark Charnock’s done in the Marlon/Carly storyline – and the stuff that’s coming up in it – is really heartbreaking. We have a really talented cast.
    Can you tell us who has big storylines ahead?

Laurel

There’s a big story coming up for Charlotte Bellamy – it’s not a romance as I think that the viewers will have no appetite to see that right now at all and nor do I. The way I describe it is that when you are grieving, you are such a ball of emotion that that you can become quite tenacious and quite combative so I think we might see her butting heads against somebody quite unexpected in the near future.
    Rhona and Pierce
    Rhona and Pierce will continue to escalate and deteriorate. His behaviour gets more and more dark and manipulative. There’s a really huge story for them that will run right up to the end of the year.

Cain and Harriet

We have ongoing shenanigans for Cain and Harriet, which I am sure you can guess. Moira is the love of Cain’s life but there comes a point where you can only have the door shut in your face so many times before, especially when you’re Cain, male pride dictates that you need to go and get laid. What starts as a sexy, fun, naughty affair where the angel is sleeping with the devil, does turn into something more serious in a way that questions Cain’s feelings about what he wants from his romantic life. That’s really big.
    Harriet has always been a really different kind of vicar – she used to be a police officer and she’s a tough cookie and that comes to play a little bit. What’s a Dingle doing not only dating a vicar but also a former copper and that does rear its head. She probably will get into trouble with the diocese to comedy effect. There’s some fun stuff coming up – a guy called Bishop Barry makes an appearance and Harriet gets her knuckles rapped!

Emma

Obviously the Barton story that kicked off last year around the big car crash is still bubbling along and the video that Ashley accidentally took is still out there and will definitely become significant as the story unfolds. So there’s big new chapters there.
    Emma considers lying to be a lesser sin than killing James so she is not averse to committing a small sin to cover up the bigger one. Emma’s dead serious about her religion – she sees it as a way to absolve herself over what she did. I don’t think she is playing with it – she totally means it even if her interpretation of religion is sometimes a bit more Old Testament than Harriet’s.
    We’ll play with that a little bit where Harriet is very much a modern vicar – as evidenced by her affair with Cain – and is kind of more New Testament with attitudes like turn the other cheek and love thy neighbour whereas Emma is a teeny weeny bit more Levitacus. That religious conversion that Emma has experienced is very earnest in her mind – she’s not just using that to portray herself as a better person, she really buys that but it will come to torture her in the end.

Will there be any redemption for Robert?

Yeah – there will be more bumps, thrills and spills along the way but yeah, my view is that they individually and collectively meant the vows that they said in that wedding episode but it’s never going to be a straight road with those guys; it’s going to be bumpy and tricky but ultimately they will definitely make it out the other side.
    Can you tell us anything about Nell and Jai’s story?
    I can’t say too much but to Jai, she is a promise of redemption and a chance to do again what he didn’t do right by Holly and the question becomes does he fall for her because he is falling for her or is it because he is trying to turn her into Holly or she is becoming Holly in his imagination? It’s just a story about him trying to find redemption with somebody who reminds him of a lost love. Some of the stuff is really poignant – it felt like unfinished business for Jai when Holly died as I don’t think anyone really knew he was even with her at the time. It felt right to revisit that and give him a second shot of happiness I suppose.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

EddyBee (08-04-2017), tammyy2j (05-04-2017), Tuareet (05-04-2017)

Fair enough, I'd agree and say that Cain can only take so much with Moira giving him the cold shoulder. But Harriet, really? Come on couldn't the show execs afford a new actress that could play Cains love interest. Causing an upset Moira to finally wake the hell up and fight for her husband. How the hell is Moira going to compete with the local Vicar? OMG That new producer should be let go to go and ruin some other show. JMO

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiwigirl For This Useful Post:

katie hunter (09-04-2017), Sheeratty (10-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigirl View Post
    Fair enough, I'd agree and say that Cain can only take so much with Moira giving him the cold shoulder. But Harriet, really? Come on couldn't the show execs afford a new actress that could play Cains love interest. Causing an upset Moira to finally wake the hell up and fight for her husband. How the hell is Moira going to compete with the local Vicar? OMG That new producer should be let go to go and ruin some other show. JMO

I agree, the whole Cain and Harriet pairing just sounds like the new producer has drawn two names out of hat, there is no chemistry between them at all. If Cain had a fling with Chrissie or some new character I could understand but Harriet is a deffo no from me. If anything I think it should be Moira who has a new love interest to show Cain what he has lost, instead we have Cain being allowed to rub her nose in it all over again.

All of this nonsense about Cain having to make a heartbreaking decision about what he wants out of life is a complete rehash from last years storyline with Charity. It's a shame that the writers clearly can't come up with anything more creative for Cain, Moira or Harriet - who hasn't had a storyline for months and the best they can come up with is a bunk up with Cain - yawn.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to katie hunter For This Useful Post:

kiwigirl (11-04-2017), Perdita (09-04-2017), Sheeratty (10-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by katie hunter View Post
    All of this nonsense about Cain having to make a heartbreaking decision about what he wants out of life is a complete rehash from last years storyline with Charity. It's a shame that the writers clearly can't come up with anything more creative for Cain, Moira or Harriet - who hasn't had a storyline for months and the best they can come up with is a bunk up with Cain - yawn.
    Totally agree. He rejected Charity, his long time on/off lover and mother of his daughter because he loved Moira so much even though he knew it would probably never happen yet we are supposed to believe that he would get serious about Harriet? Cain/Harriet is basically a re-hash of Cain/Angie from over 15 years ago. The 'good' morally righteous policewoman. It was a whole big mix of Cain hating the Reynolds (wanting revenge for Butch) and him genuinely falling for her. It worked because they had chemistry and there was a reason it happened (he hated her husband)...Cain/Harriet is just no chemistry and no reason apart from giving Cain something to do cos the show has no imagination apart from babies and who is sleeping with who.

I also feel sorry for the actor who can't seem to get a story that doesn't revolve around affairs/having sex with someone. Give him something new to do ffs.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sheeratty For This Useful Post:

katie hunter (13-04-2017), kiwigirl (11-04-2017), Perdita (10-04-2017)

Emmerdale boss reveals new character details

Emmerdale producer Iain MacLeod has revealed exciting details of a new character set to cause a stir in the Dales.

He’s planning to bring a bit of an edge to the countryside as he welcomes someone “covered head to toe in tattoos.”

In a village full of murderers, adulterers, domestic abusers, and criminals, Iain thinks things are a little too “ordinary” at the moment and it needs spicing up.

Speaking to The Mirror, he explained he’s after “some sort of heavily tattooed, body pierced, alternative person”.

He went on to admit: “Our characters are all, in their own way, ordinary, I don’t imagine any of them have any intimate piercings or secret tattoos.

“I just want someone covered head to toe in tattoos who will terrify the older characters but turn out to have a heart of gold.”

With big stories at the moment such as Ashley Thomas’s death after suffering from dementia, Pierce Harris’s abuse of wife-to-be Rhona, and Cain Dingle’s affair with vicar Harriet Finch, a bit of colour might be just what they need to lighten the mood.

I just want someone covered head to toe in tattoos who will terrify the older characters but turn out to have a heart of gold.
    Iain also told the publication: “I feel like we’ve got a really good balance of heartbreaking stories like Ashley’s dementia and other stories coming up like Faith’s breast cancer.

“I’m a big fan of the funny stuff. Soap, for me, has always been really heartbreaking stuff mixed with classic Northern humour.

“We’ve got tons of really funny stuff coming up in the future.”

With the news evil Pierce is set to attack Rhona on their wedding night, we’re definitely going to need something lighthearted.

Pierce was stunned last night by the arrival of his mum, Martha, and it turns out she knows more than a few secrets about him that he wants to keep hidden.

With a possible exit looming for the dangerous lawyer, let’s hope Rhona gets away from him before it’s too late.

And then maybe she can find love with the tattooed person set to mix things up!

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Emmerdale producer Iain MacLeod has revealed exciting details of a new character set to cause a stir in the Dales.

He’s planning to bring a bit of an edge to the countryside as he welcomes someone “covered head to toe in tattoos.”

In a village full of murderers, adulterers, domestic abusers, and criminals, Iain thinks things are a little too “ordinary” at the moment and it needs spicing up.

Speaking to The Mirror, he explained he’s after “some sort of heavily tattooed, body pierced, alternative person”.

He went on to admit: “Our characters are all, in their own way, ordinary, I don’t imagine any of them have any intimate piercings or secret tattoos.

“I just want someone covered head to toe in tattoos who will terrify the older characters but turn out to have a heart of gold.”

With big stories at the moment such as Ashley Thomas’s death after suffering from dementia, Pierce Harris’s abuse of wife-to-be Rhona, and Cain Dingle’s affair with vicar Harriet Finch, a bit of colour might be just what they need to lighten the mood.

I just want someone covered head to toe in tattoos who will terrify the older characters but turn out to have a heart of gold.
    Iain also told the publication: “I feel like we’ve got a really good balance of heartbreaking stories like Ashley’s dementia and other stories coming up like Faith’s breast cancer.

“I’m a big fan of the funny stuff. Soap, for me, has always been really heartbreaking stuff mixed with classic Northern humour.

With the news evil Pierce is set to attack Rhona on their wedding night, we’re definitely going to need something lighthearted.

Pierce was stunned last night by the arrival of his mum, Martha, and it turns out she knows more than a few secrets about him that he wants to keep hidden.

With a possible exit looming for the dangerous lawyer, let’s hope Rhona gets away from him before it’s too late.

So he thinks that someone covered in tattoos and piercings means they're "edgy"?

David has quite a few tattoos and he's the one of the most boring characters. Every interview this producer has done just hasn't filled me with confidence at all.

I also hate the fact that he goes on record to reassure Robron fans that "everything will work out". I honestly believe that he thinks every single Emmerdale viewer is a fan of them. Well Iain should really start looking at forums if he wants a well rounded opinion on them. I think he'd get a shock.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alcapo11 For This Useful Post:

JessicaMad (23-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post

I don't like the idea of more "funny stuff." I don't mind a bit of comdedy but if it's anything like Tracy's god awful book plot then I'm not keen.

Looks like Lawrence is leaving ED

Quote Originally Posted by Sheeratty View Post
    Looks like Lawrence is leaving ED
    Well, he has become a waste of character recently and I am fed up with him supporting one daughter, then the other and why is nobody worried about Lachlan being back under their roof? Hope they keep the gun cabinet well locked

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (27-04-2017)

Emmerdale is upping the sex factor by introducing a brand new hunk to the village later this year.

The new arrival will be connected to the Dingle family, but show bosses are keeping tight-lipped about further details – including which members he'll be interacting with – until nearer the time.

Emmerdale's producer Iain MacLeod let the news slip at a press day this week when asked about future castings to watch out for.

He explained: "There's a big story that will be rooted in the Dingle family that will require a sexy young thing to appear, but I can't say too much more."

Don't worry, he did reveal a little bit more...

Iain added: "It will be kicking off in about September time, it's a male. It's a new sexy, brooding male lead."

Emmerdale insiders have confirmed that the actor playing the new arrival has yet to be cast, so an announcement on who lands the role may still be a while off.

He may not be the only new character joining, after Iain previously expressed a surprising desire to introduce a villager who'd be covered head to toes in tattoos.

Speaking to Digital Spy about separate plans earlier this month, Iain laughed: "Oddly enough, I've been saying I'd really like to see a character that is covered head to toe in tattoos and body piercings - I've no idea why.

"It's not something I have discussed with anybody but that's a character you don't often see in soaps - somebody quite alternative would be interesting, firstly to shake up people's preconceptions of that kind of subculture and secondly, it's just something different visually and quite striking."

Digital Spy

Thread Information