Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Michelle Fowler

Michelle Fowler

EastEnders viewers could soon get a blast from the past as Michelle Fowler returns to Albert Square… with a new face.

After 21 years of trying to woo Susan Tully back to EastEnders, producers have reportedly now opted to recast the role of Michelle Fowler with Olivier Award-winning stage star Jenna Russell stepping in.

According to The Sun, Michelle's big comeback could air as early as in Saturday night's Christmas Eve episode (December 24).

Jenna Russell accepts her Olivier Award
    © GETTY IMAGES DAVE M. BENETT
    (Jenna Russell accepts her Olivier Award)

An insider described the recasting of EastEnders original Michelle as a curveball designed to prove that the soap "still keeps viewers on the edge of their seats".

An EastEnders spokesperson would only say: "Viewers can expect a lot of surprises this Christmas, but we don't comment on future storylines as this will spoil the enjoyment."

Jenna Russell is a veteran of the Royal Shakespeare Company and has a been fixture of both stage and the small screen for over 30 years, having memorably appeared in Doctor Who, Minder and most recently played Sister Morgan in Call the Midwife.

Her Michelle Fowler predecessor Susan Tully originated the role in 1985, and the character spent the next decade making one awful decision after another until she set off for America.

In her decade on the soap, Michelle caused troubled for practically everyone by having a fling with best friend Sharon's father Den Watts (Leslie Grantham) and later feuding (and hooking up) with Grant Mitchell (Ross Kemp).

Since leaving Albert Square in 1995, Susan Tully retired from acting to become a successful director of TV hits Lark Rise to Candleford, The Musketeers and even EastEnders.

Earlier this year, outgoing EastEnders producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins revealed that he'd most wanted to bring back Michelle Fowler during his time on the soap.

"There's one character that I wanted to get back and that was Michelle," he said. "And I did try. Sue Tully and I emailed back and forth, but she's a director now.

"I briefly considered a recast, but it just didn't sit right. And you never know, maybe someone else can woo Sue Tully to come back."

It looks like current producer Sean O'Connor felt differently about a recast…

EastEnders' Christmas Eve special airs on Saturday (December 24) at 8.25pm on BBC One.

Digital Spy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (23-12-2016), tammyy2j (24-12-2016)

There's lots and lots of rumours and speculation online that Michelle will turn up in Albert Square this Christmas.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Perdita (23-12-2016)

Martin Fowler’s sister is apparently heading back to Walford, with EastEnders bosses wanting her back for a while.

But fans will not see actress Susan Tully reprise the famous role according to reports, after years and years on her turning down the role.

The actress recently surprised fans with how different she looked years of from her time on the soap.

But according to reports, the role has been recast in order to bring the character back to the Square, just like brother Martin was recast.

[undefined]EastEnders: Michelle Fowleris returning to the Square but the role has apparently been recast [Getty]

While it's not confirmed Michelle will be back, it's also not confirmed whether the role will be recast.

With the character being tipped to return The Sun have reported that bosses thought a new star was perfect for the role.

It is public knowledge that Susan didn’t want a comeback on the soap despite being asked and despite being mentioned a lot in the past year.

The character will apparently make her surprise return to the soap just months after her son Mark Fowler Jnr made his debut in Walford.

With Michelle now said to be heading to Albert Square, will Mark be with her too?

He left the show with the knowledge that is father was in fact Grant Mitchell, who he met in the dramatic scenes.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kaz21 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (24-12-2016), tammyy2j (24-12-2016)

new michelle looks like jane

I know Michelle has not appeared on screen for many years but Susan Tully will always be feisty Michelle Fowler to me

I think it is too much an iconic role for the show to recast

Is Mark and Vicki also returning?

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    I know Michelle has not appeared on screen for many years but Susan Tully will always be feisty Michelle Fowler to me

I think it is too much an iconic role for the show to recast

Is Mark and Vicki also returning?
    Mark Fowler died of Aids related illness in 2003 if you are referring to Michelle´s brother

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Mark Fowler died of Aids related illness in 2003 if you are referring to Michelle´s brother
    I was referring to Michelle and Grant's son Mark

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

kaz21 (24-12-2016), Perdita (24-12-2016), Rear window (24-12-2016)

EastEnders just brought back Michelle Fowler with a new face... and show bosses have huge plans for her

Here's all the gossip on the legendary character's return.

It's official - EastEnders bosses have recast iconic character Michelle Fowler more than 20 years after her last appearance in the show.

Michelle made a very exciting return in the BBC soap's Christmas Eve episode, leading to a genuinely heartwarming scene as she reunited with her long-time best friend Sharon Mitchell.

Viewers last saw Michelle in October 1995, when she left Albert Square carrying Grant Mitchell's baby.

Michelle is an original EastEnders character and she was played by Susan Tully from the very first episode in 1985.

As Susan doesn't act anymore and has embarked on a new career as a TV director, EastEnders bosses have recast the role and have brought award-winning actress Jenna Russell on board to play Michelle.

Speaking for the first time about joining EastEnders, Jenna revealed: "It is a great honour to play such an iconic character. I know the audience loved Michelle Fowler so much, and even though she hasn't been on our screen for 20 years, she's very much in the fans' psyche.

"When I used to watch EastEnders all those years ago, she was one of my favourite characters. I'm extremely excited for what is in store for Michelle."

EastEnders' executive producer Sean O'Connor added: "I am thrilled to have secured Jenna Russell to play Michelle Fowler, one of the show's most celebrated characters. The Square really has missed her over the past 20 years.

"Having worked with her before, Jenna was always in mind when I first started planning for Michelle's return. I think the audience are going to take Michelle back into their hearts - still flawed, complicated and infuriating after two decades away, but still loveable all the same.

"It's going to be appointment TV watching Michelle's car crash of a life unravel all over again."

Adding some extra intrigue for EastEnders fans, the reasons for Michelle's return may not be as simple as just wanting to spend time with her family this Christmas.

In fact, it's already been confirmed that Michelle's true reasons for coming back will unfold in early January.

A special EastEnders episode has even been planned focusing on Michelle and Sharon, during which viewers will find out why she's chosen to return to Walford after all these years. We can't wait!

As Sharon's best friend, Martin's sister and Ian's cousin, Michelle has plenty of existing ties on the Square and there's no doubt that producers will have some juicy storylines lined up for her now that she's back.

Viewers know that Michelle has been living in Florida with her husband Tim and her son Mark Fowler Jnr.

Mark was introduced on screen for a brief stint earlier in the year, played by Ned Porteous. Meanwhile, Michelle's daughter Vicki Fowler currently runs a bar with Spencer Moon in Australia.

New cast member Jenna has an extensive range of television and theatre credits to her name. She's won an Olivier Award and Theatre World Award in the past, while her past screen appearances include roles in Call the Midwife, The Paradise, Holby City, Born and Bred and the 2009 remake of Minder, which also starred EastEnders favourite Shane Richie.

EastEnders continues on Christmas Day at 9.30pm with an hour-long festive special.

-----------

I'm really excited about Michelle's return. It sounds like a lot of thought has gone into her recasting and storylines.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Rear window (25-12-2016)

Exclamation Michelle Fowler

I guess everyone is busy with Christmas, naturally, but now a re-cast Michelle Fowler has turned up by surprise, I figured I'd open a thread...

Whilst for me the jury is out on the re-cast (but I will give her a chance), what do people think of her return? She has a secret apparently (of course she does!) and we can look forward to a special two-hander episode between Michelle and Sharon in January to reveal what that secret is...

http://metro.co.uk/2016/12/24/easten...ecret-6343813/

15. The Following User Says Thank You to anfunny2003 For This Useful Post:

kaz21 (25-12-2016)

Sacrilege!

Thread Information