Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Daniel Osbourne (Rob Mallard)

'Coronation Street's Daniel Osbourne will be left fighting for his life after an overdose.
    The student - who is played by Rob Mallard - is struggling with the pressure of he and his entire family coming under suspicion after his father Ken Barlow (Bill Roache) was knocked unconscious when he was pushed down the stairs earlier this year, and he turns to recreational drugs to cope.
    A source told The Sun on Sunday newspaper: "The entire family are suspects following the drama with Ken.
    "Daniel doesn't cope well at all. He will be seen struggling with difficult emotions. Things only get darker as the weeks go on.
    "Viewers will have to wait to see if he is saved or if the family are left grieving so soon after Ken's lucky escape."
    On Friday (21.04.17), viewers saw Ken's grandson, dodgy lawyer Adam Barlow (Sam Robertson) arrested for pushing the popular pensioner following a tip-off to police from his niece Amy Barlow, but the teenager's mother, Tracy Barlow (Kate Ford) suspects she's covering something up.
    A spokesperson for the ITV soap simply said: "We never comment on storylines."
    Daniel's overdose could be linked to the surprise return of his mother Denise Osbourne, as actress Denise Black recently confirmed she's returning to Wetherfield, over a decade after she last played the hairdresser.
    The 59-year-old actress set tongues wagging earlier this month when she was spotted full of smiles as she walked onto the set in Manchester, with a script in her hand.
    Denise's new job comes just weeks after she left rival soap 'Emmerdale' as Joanie Wright when she was killed off just months after she destroyed Zak (Steve Halliwell) and Lisa Dingle's (Jane Cox) relationship by having an affair with the farmer.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

deeCee (25-04-2017), Glen1 (23-04-2017)

Following Coronation Street's huge reveal that Ken Barlow's mystery attacker was his own son Daniel Osbourne, you probably have some huge questions about what this means for the future of the legendary family.

Fortunately, Coronation Street's producer Kate Oates was on hand to provide some answers today as she faced Digital Spy and other media to reveal all the behind-the-scenes insight on the storyline and what's to come

Why did you pick Daniel to be Ken's attacker?

"Once we'd established Daniel's backstory – and we wanted to bring him in with a really rich backstory – we thought about the idea that Denise had abandoned him.

"It was the idea of a kid raising himself, and the fact that he wouldn't have been able to bring friends home from school because people would have seen how shabby things were. He would have been always coming up with excuses for parents' evening or sports day. It was just that he was so incredibly damaged.

"But because Daniel is Ken's favourite in many ways, he's also the one who stands the greatest chance of Ken forgiving him. We talked about it for a long time before we'd even cast Rob in the role – and we always thought it should be Daniel.

"When we cast Rob, we thought we really didn't want to lose such an amazing actor, so we built it in a way that there was scope for him to stay within the family. But it'll be interesting to see how the rest of the family responds once they find out the truth and how welcome he is."

In particular, how is Adam going to react?

"Adam is going to be really down on this. Adam and Daniel have things in common. When we brought them in, we wanted it to be Young Ken and the Young Mike and those differences remain. Adam is more ambitious and more ruthless. But they have stuff in common – they've both been abandoned by Ken, who has ultimately been really selfish.

"That's what I find interesting about Ken, just what a terrible parent he is! He's got kids everywhere, but he's rubbish, really sanctimonious and judgmental about them and their flaws. He's also been hands-off with all of them.

"So Adam will be really down on Daniel and on Ken. But we will learn that Adam is not completely blameless – he did come back to Number 1 and see Ken lying at the bottom of the stairs and he thought: 'Sod you, old man' and stepped over him. That's why Ken recognised the trainers.

"So Adam isn't completely blameless, meaning that Peter and Tracy will have issues with Adam as well. So the family is fractured, but also bound together by this secret. Ken wants to lay down the law about how things are going to be from now on – you're in or you're out. And if you're in, you're doing things Ken's way. It's going to be a fun Christmas!"

At one point it felt like we could have lost Ken for good!

"I'm not going to get rid of Bill Roache! (Laughs.) In your first year as producer, are you going to decide that you don't need Soap's longest-running character anymore? I'd either be very brave or very stupid.

"Physically we've done some big stuff with Ken recently. Look at the stuff with Ken's stroke back in October when he hurled himself against those banisters with Chris Gascoyne – he's 84 and quite amazing.

"Bill has always engaged with the show, but this has given him an extra level of engagement. He's loving it and he's just hungry for more and more story.

"But part of my job is making the show as strong as I can make it while I'm here. That's what I try to do, but with a show like Corrie, it's about making sure that when you leave, it's in the best possible shape so that the next person who sits in my chair can have all the fun with Corrie that I'm having now, with loads of great story and loads of great characters.

"Ken is such the heart of the show, and the reason we expanded the Barlow family was that we wanted to expand the heart of the show. To lose that centrepoint would have been a huge story and caused a massive news-splash, but I think it would have been a mistake."

Can you tease Daniel's future a bit more?

"One issue is him potentially losing Sinead, who is so important to him. He sees her as his first and only real chance of a family. Once she finds out the truth, she might be scared of him because of this violence and aggression in him.

"There's something in Daniel where he needs to find an outlet, whether it's hurting himself, or now he's taking it out on his dad. There is something wrong with Daniel and that gives us rich territory for the future."

There are some really intense scenes with Daniel while he's away with Ken next week, where he's almost regressing back to a young boy again.

"That's why Ken can forgive him. The first two episodes next week are about Ken fearing Daniel, but then he has a breakdown and what Ken sees is a little boy who is completely lost. All of Ken's paternal feelings come out.

"That is the only way we could pave the way for forgiveness quite so quickly for Ken and Daniel. Ken had to see Daniel as the little boy that he'd turned his back on."

Will we see Daniel go through some therapy?

"There's a moment coming up which I won't spoil but I have seen and it's great. Daniel frightens himself into a situation where he feels he does need to get himself on the straight and narrow and we do refer to anger management.

"I think what's redeeming about Daniel is that when you watch his dark side in isolation, you can see him as unhinged. But if you watch him over the building months, you see him love being a part of a family and love Sinead. He turned down his life-long Oxford dream to stay in Manchester and be a father. They sorted through that and got excited.

"What happened with Ken was that Daniel discovered that day what his father had done with Sinead and something flipped in him. There's so much warmth in Daniel – he just wants what he wanted as a kid, which is a family.

"He has spent all of his life alone so that's what stops him being villainous – troubled is the right word. I want to see more of that warmth about him and him spending time with people his own age and working at the Bistro. It's stuff like that, but it's how someone with a troubled backstory like Daniel deals with that kind of framework."

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/coro...ed-ken-reveal/

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

deeCee (27-05-2017), lizann (28-05-2017), Ruffed_lemur (28-05-2017)

After Friday's episodes ended with Ken (Bill Roache) joining Daniel as he headed off to do renovation work on his other flat, the stage is set for some nail-biting scenes next week as shocking secrets come to light.

As Ken spends time with Daniel in the poky flat, it's not long before he starts to become concerned over his son's strange behaviour, realising that something isn't right with him.

Daniel seems short-tempered and edgy throughout their time away and his anxiety only grows when Ken mentions that Adam – who's been wrongly arrested for pushing him – deserves everything he gets.

These words may well come back to haunt Ken when the truth eventually dawns on him that Daniel was actually his attacker rather than Adam.

An emotional showdown follows as Daniel reveals his motive to a horrified Ken and refuses to let him leave, despite his desperate protests that he'll keep his son's guilt a secret.

As Ken has just said exactly the opposite about Adam, can Daniel really trust that he is genuine about covering things up? Or will he have to take further steps to silence him?

Digital Spy

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

deeCee (28-05-2017), Glen1 (28-05-2017), lizann (28-05-2017), swmc66 (28-05-2017)

so ken lets daniel off no prison, poor adam suffering as mike's son

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    so ken lets daniel off no prison, poor adam suffering as mike's son
    Adam is Ken's grandson, Mike Baldwin was his dad

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Adam is Ken's grandson, Mike Baldwin was his dad
    yes i know which is why ken hates him making him suffer

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Perdita (28-05-2017)

Sorry, misread your post
    Last edited by Perdita; 28-05-2017 at 18:02.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (28-05-2017)

It is bad how he has his favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by swmc66 View Post
    It is bad how he has his favourites.
    he rang the police so quick on adam but not when he thought it was daniel who it really is

yes clear his favourites are daniel and tracy

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (30-05-2017)

I also think its weird that Daniel has a place under the floorboards to hide stuff. When was that created. I managed to watch the last 15 mins of corrie the other day after weeks of not watching it. It was free from Bethany scenes so was ok.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

lizann (28-05-2017), parkerman (28-05-2017), tammyy2j (30-05-2017)

Thread Information