Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alf Stewart (Ray Meagher)

Meagher to take six-month 'H&A' break

Ray Meagher has announced that he is to take a six-month break from Home and Away to star in London's West End.

The actor, who plays Summer Bay legend Alf Stewart, has signed up to take over the role of Bob in the musical Priscilla, Queen of the Desert from September.

Speaking to the Herald Sun about his new project, Meagher explained: "[Home and Away] have very generously allowed me to do Priscilla in the West End from September 20 roughly until early March.

"I did two weeks [as Bob] in Sydney when Michael Caton wanted to have a rest, and that is when the producers said, 'Do you want to do this in London?'.

"I think the funniest thing for me is a bloke from the bush, who cannot sing or dance, has been asked to do a musical in the West End. That appeals to my perverse sense of humour."

Meagher's current Home and Away contract runs until 2012.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (20-04-2010), lizann (21-04-2010), tammyy2j (20-04-2010)

Aww, I'll miss Alf...

I cant imagine H&A without Alf

Strewth

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

lizann (21-04-2010)

He will go and visit Roo probably

Home and Away star Ray Meagher has revealed that he is feeling nervous and excited as he awaits his upcoming role in London's West End.

The actor last month announced that he is taking over the part of Bob in the musical Priscilla, Queen of the Desert from September.

Speaking to TV Week about his forthcoming commitment, Meagher admitted: "I'm sure you always have a few nerves. But I replaced Michael Caton for two weeks in the role in Sydney and I loved it - really loved it. So I'm looking forward to doing it again."

As previously announced, the theatre part means that Meagher is to take a six-month break from playing Summer Bay's Alf Stewart.

He said: "The producers of Home and Away have been very generous to give me that much time off. I think they thought, 'You've been here a long time, you've earned it. Go and enjoy it'."

Meagher recently won Australian television's prestigious Gold Logie prize.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (12-05-2010)

Home And Away star Ray Meagher is relieved to have avoided a drag queen's role in Priscilla Queen Of The Desert.

The actor, who has starred as lovable grump Alf Stewart since the start of the Aussie soap, has taken a break from Summer Bay to play Aussie mechanic Bob in the super camp musical in London's West End.

He said: "Ben Richards (who plays Tick) said he absolutely hates dressing up. He loves doing the show, but he said women deserve a medal for wearing high heels - they hurt your back, they hurt your feet. I take his word for it and am quite happy I don't have to do that."

Although Bob and Alf are both Australian, Ray said the two characters are quite different from each other.

"Alf is a little bit like Bob on steroids. Bob is a lot calmer, not as aggressive or fly off the handleish as Alf can be. But he's a lovely bloke, with a heart of gold and all of that. Alf's got that too but in a different casing."

Ray, who returns to Home and Away next year, added: "I still enjoy playing Alf but I'm really enjoying this because it is very different."

Priscilla Queen Of The Desert is on at the Palace Theatre in London.

Home and Away legend Ray Meagher has revealed that some trouble with the law will lead to Alf Stewart's temporary departure from the soap.

Later this year, viewers will see Alf disappear from screens because Meagher is currently taking a six-month break from the role to star in London's West End.

Speaking to Holy Soap about the show favourite's exit storyline, Meagher teased: "Alf is treated unbelievably unfairly by the law and reacts accordingly."

Asked whether he will definitely be returning to the programme, the actor replied: "Absolutely. My current contract runs to the middle of 2012, with this time out added on. I have no idea how Alf returns to Summer Bay, though."

Alf's most recent plot has seen him targeted by vengeful newcomer Penn Graham (Christian Clark), who holds a grudge against him due to some surprising secrets from his past.

Discussing the story, Meagher said: "Alf has been passing messages from one storyline to another recently. This is probably the first one he's had since Bridget took him to the cleaners. It's been good fun. The Penn stuff has been great."

ALF Stewart is wrongly jailed for murder following an evil plot by twisted Penn Graham.

The shocking storyline will take place to cover actor Ray Meagher’s decision to take a six-month break from the hit Channel 5 soap.

Troubled Penn will disappear in mysterious circumstances and the finger of suspicion will point straight to Alf, inset.

A Home And Away insider said: “Penn blames Alf for the death of his parents and will stop at nothing until he makes him pay. So what better way to do that than fake his own death and frame Alf. But one or two doubt Alf’s innocence.”

Fans can watch the plot next month.

Daily Star Sunday

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (01-11-2010)

I thought Penn would fake his death or commit suicide and make it look like someone had killed him!

I reckon Morag will uncover the truth eventually. She's coming back for a while, not sure how long.
    Thanks CrazyLea

Home and Away legend Ray Meagher has admitted that he wants the show's fellow Australian soap Neighbours to "keep going forever".

The actor, who plays fan favourite Alf Stewart, told Pink Paper that he would like the Ramsay Street serial to remain successful because it provides employment for so many people in the TV industry.

Asked whether there is a rivalry between Home and Away and Neighbours in Australia, Meagher replied: "No, there's not really, because we go to air in different time slots - they go to air at 6.30, we go to air at 7."

He then joked: "We get twice as many viewers as they do in Australia, it's no contest really. No, I didn't say that! I really didn't!

"I mean, they've been on the BBC [in the UK] with a huge audience, and Channel Five's audience is growing all the time and they're on Five with us - sister soaps, if you like. In Australia, as far as I'm concerned, I would hope that Neighbours would keep going forever. It's a lot of work for a lot of people."

Meagher is currently on a six-month break from Summer Bay as he is appearing in a production of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert in London's West End.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

senorita (04-11-2010)

Thread Information