Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Alf Stewart (Ray Meagher)

Digital Spy article:

AUST PACE!

Exclusive: Home and Away's Ray Meagher explains Alf Stewart's temporary exit.
    There's been a new Martha twist in Summer Bay.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...emporary-exit/

Home and Away legend Ray Meagher has explained why Alf Stewart is taking a short break from screens.

Scenes airing on Channel 7 in Australia this week saw Alf head off on a trip with his first wife Martha (Belinda Giblin), together and united once again. The pair have been reconnecting in recent weeks following Martha's surprise return to Summer Bay.

In real life, the story helped to facilitate some time off for Ray, who starred in the 10th anniversary theatre production of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert in Brisbane last year.

Speaking to Digital Spy about what happens next, Ray explained: "I think Alf's away for about six weeks.

"I enjoyed doing some theatre work again – I just loved the piece. It was Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, and I had done that previously in the West End, in New Zealand and in Sydney.

"It was an opportunity to do it in my old hometown, which is Brisbane in Queensland. So I loved doing it."

Asked whether there's a chance we could see Martha in Summer Bay full-time, Ray replied: "Belinda does a hell of a lot of theatre. She does a lot of things, actually. She is a very much in-demand actress.

"I'd love her to come in on a permanent basis. But whether it goes down that direction or not, I'm not sure."

Ray went on to praise the show's bosses for telling a love story involving the older generation, rather than just focusing on the teens and 20-somethings.

He said: "I think the show tries to deal with all sorts of situations and all sorts of things. It's great that older people, and storylines relating to older people like this, are represented.

"As an actor on a show like this, it's obviously a youth-oriented show – and rightly so. Most of the storylines go to the younger people.

"But for the older people to get a reasonable storyline once or twice a year – when it's a storyline like this that's good fun to do – it's just absolutely fantastic.

"This year the storyline with Martha is definitely there, and I get the feeling that there may be more of it. And also, Ryder, Alf's grandson, keeps me busy. He's always getting into strife one way or another.

"Roo is also a constant sparring partner. We’re either very supportive of one another, or at one another's throats over something or other. So there's plenty for Alf to do. And in the meantime, when there's not, he just loves going fishing!"

Home and Away airs weekdays at 1.15pm and 6pm on Channel 5 (UK) and Mondays to Thursdays at 7pm on Channel 7 (Australia).

Alf returning to Summer Bay

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...eagher-return/

Home and Away's Alf Stewart is heading back to Summer Bay following his short break.

Alf recently headed off on a trip with his first wife Martha (Belinda Giblin), but the good news for fans is that his comeback is getting closer.

Advanced press billings released in Australia have revealed that Alf arrives back in scenes airing Down Under on Thursday, May 16.

The same episode will air on Channel 5 in the UK on Monday, June 10.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Pantherboy (13-05-2019)

so he always loved martha, and alisia no?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Pantherboy (13-06-2019)

Daily Telegraph article. Ray Meagher (Alf) is recovering from triple bypass heart surgery:

Home And Away star Ray Meagher’s triple bypass heart surgery shock.

He’s always had a good heart. But Home And Away’s loveable larrikin, Ray Meagher has revealed he recently had to have emergency bypass surgery.

Exclusive: The last time Alf Stewart battled a “dodgy ticker” on Seven’s Home And Away, it was 2018 and he was “down a sinkhole that had exploded near the [Summer Bay] school.”

For Ray Meagher, the actor who plays Australia’s favourite TV larrikin and soap survivor, his very real heart shock came just a week ago, when a routine health check led to emergency triple bypass surgery.

The 75-year-old had been preparing to spend an extended winter production break from the award-winning soap driving to Queenland for a Sunshine Coast holiday with wife, Gilly, when an appointment with his cardiologist just days before revealed three serious blockages in his arteries requiring immediate intervention.

Now resting comfortably at his Sydney home, Meagher told News Corp Australia he was “very, very lucky” to have kept up his heart check and annual stress tests before getting behind the wheel.

“We were all packed up and ready to drive north, but if we had without seeing the cardiologist, well, you could have a heart attack at the wheel, you kill yourself, you kill your wife, or some other poor innocent people. It’s just horrific to think what could have happened,” he said, adding “I’m just glad to be on the planet.”

His doctor, Bill Petrellis and surgeon Ian Nicholson had initially thought a simple stent procedure was needed, but the extent of Meagher’s coronary calcification meant he was kept in overnight at Sydney Adventist Hospital and open heart surgery scheduled for the next day.

“One of the arteries was 100 per cent [blocked],” Meagher said, revealing his angiogram showed “there was a good chunk of solid white [calcification]”

Meagher had been vigilant about his own heart health, after tragically losing a friend to the disease last year.

“I did [stage musical] Priscilla, Queen Of the Desert in Brisbane a year ago and because I’m a Queenslander, I’d played a lot of rugby and caught up with a lot of old rugby mates. One of them wouldn’t have been the normal theatre but his wife dragged him along and we had coffee and a great yarn. Then two weeks later he was dead … massive heart attack. So this was a real shock.”

His good personal fitness has already helped in his recovery, with doctors restricting the actor to a regimen of daily walks and stretching exercises and producers giving him “all the time I need” to heal.

“The surgeon called in the night before they let me out of hospital [last Wednesday] and he said: “a bit of exercise and do all the right things and basically you should be better than before … you’ve got a bigger motor, working at full capacity, now.”

And if his TV alter ego can survive a series of heart attacks over 31 years of manning the diner and local bait shop, Meagher is confident he can too.

“Alf Stewart’s had so many heart attacks and things along the way and survived them all,” he said, “talk about life imitating art.”

Meagher’s health scare comes after The Heart Foundation and News Corp successfully lobbied the Federal Government to fund heart checks in its award-winning ‘Serial Killer’ and ‘Show Some Ticker’ campaigns.

More than 16,000 Australians have seen a GP for a heart check since the push, with Meagher adding his voice to the cause.

“I’m not quite rearing to go just yet but it comes back again to ‘please people, get checked,’” he said.

“It doesn’t take long and there’s so much to be gained by going to the doctor and finding out the truth about your health, so you can do something about it.”

And the Digital Spy article:

Home and Away legend Ray Meagher undergoes triple bypass surgery
    The actor is now at home recovering.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...ypass-surgery/

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Perdita (04-08-2019), tammyy2j (18-09-2019)

Get well soon, Ray

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

kaz21 (04-08-2019), Pantherboy (04-08-2019), tammyy2j (18-09-2019)

Ray Meagher is back on set after his heart surgery, & has posted this Instagram message:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2dal90l...ource=ig_embed

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Perdita (18-09-2019), tammyy2j (18-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Pantherboy View Post
    Ray Meagher is back on set after his heart surgery, & has posted this Instagram message:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2dal90l...ource=ig_embed
    He needs to take it easy but I hate when he is off Home and Away, he is a legend

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Pantherboy (19-09-2019)

Nowtolove.com.au article:

AUST PACE!!

Alf’s surprise proposal to Martha

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebri...er-nikau-62172

The deadly siege at the hospital that cost the life of Mason has affected the whole Summer Bay community.

For stalwart Alf (Ray Meagher) in particular, it's a stark reminder of the fragility of life. It leads him to make a bold decision in Home And Away this week: he asks Martha (Belinda Giblin) to marry him!

In the wake of the incident, a shaken Alf and Martha reflect on life, vowing to make the most of every moment, not knowing when their time might be cut short.

Alf proposes they hold a vigil for their family and friends. The community comes together in a beautiful candlelight observance.

Consumed with emotion, Alf is pensive as he reflects on his own life and love, Martha.

"After a rocky road, they got to know each other all over again and rekindle their relationship," Ray, 75, tells TV WEEK.

That is, until, he drops a big – and unexpected – question: he asks Martha to marry him once more.

"He casually drops it on Martha as if asking her to go to a restaurant," Ray explains. "It floors her."

A stunned Martha seems more baffled than elated. Will she say yes?

And the Digital Spy article:

Home and Away hints at 2020 wedding for Alf Stewart
    The hospital siege prompts Alf to make a bold decision.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...oposal-martha/
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 20-01-2020 at 22:06.

Nowtolove.com.au article:

Wedding joy! Inside Alf and Martha's stunning nuptials on Home and Away
    The couple tie the knot in a ceremony full of surprises.

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebri...-wedding-62356

Hearts are breaking in Summer Bay in the wake of the Northern Districts Hospital siege that claimed the lives of Mason (Orpheus Pledger) and Robbo (Jake Ryan). While the terrible grief lingers, however, love prevails.

In Home And Away this week, Summer Bay stalwart Alf (Ray Meagher) marries his long-time love Martha (Belinda Giblin) in a beautiful ceremony that brings the community a glimmer of hope.

Preparations are underway for the wedding when Alf calls on Ben (Rohan Nichol) for help with a secret project. Alf shows him a photo of something he built for his first wedding to Martha, and Ben agrees to build the replica.

Continuing his mission to enlist friends and family for the occasion, Alf pays Ryder (Lukas Radovich) a visit. His grandson offers to make a special cocktail for the day and Alf agrees – as long as it doesn't interfere with his other duties.

Ryder isn't sure what he means – until Alf asks the teen to be his best man. An elated Ryder immediately accepts.

Ryder and his mum Roo (Georgie Parker) are sent into a wedding-planning frenzy as the big day looms, but Alf and Martha insist they don't want a big fuss.

"Roo has her work cut out!" Ray, 75, tells TV WEEK, "Alf is the least formal person on the planet. To get him in a suit of any description is a major triumph, but then to get him to walk down the aisle is a whole other challenge again."

When the special day arrives, Alf is a bundle of nerves and excitement. As the community gathers to share in Alf and Martha's love, it's a heartwarming reprieve from their shared grief.

Martha is elated as she sees the archway Ben has helped build and makes her way down the aisle.

"They get married in the grounds of Summer Bay House," Ray says.

As the night comes to a blissful end, Martha has a surprise for Alf too. Alone under the fairy lights on the veranda, the couple dance to the same song they played for their wedding dance at their first wedding. Sob!

And...

Home and Away reveals new details of Alf and Martha's romantic wedding
    Just the happiness boost that Summer Bay needs.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...dding-details/
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 03-02-2020 at 22:30.

Not a spoiler, but this great story was on the Ch7 news here last night - Nowtolove.com.au article (watch the video):

Ray Meagher surprises Home And Away's oldest fan in footage that will make you happy cry
    Pass the tissues.

https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebri...birthday-64997

In news that's sure to give you the warm-and-fuzzies - regardless of whether you're a Home And Away fan or not - one of the show's most devoted fans has received a beautiful birthday surprise.

Daphne Greenfield celebrated her 100th birthday this past weekend at her Sydney nursing home with family and friends.

But the milestone wasn't complete without a surprise visit from another special guest - her favourite character Alf Stewart aka Ray Meagher.

You can watch the moment - and try not to cry - Ray surprised the centenarian as celebration unfolded in the video above.

Despite wearing a COVID-appropriate mask which covered most of his face, Ray's entrance was unmissable and his greeting all-too distinguishable.

"Stone the flamin' crows, Daphne!" he chimed as he entered with a bouquet of flowers in hand.

Pulling his mask down from a safe distance he allowed Daphne to see his face.

"Things are tough enough out in the world at the moment and to have little things like this happen to put a smile on everybody's face, it's fantastic," Ray told 7NEWS.

The Summer Bay devotee has watched the show since it first began in 1988, never failing to miss an episode, even while recovering from a fall in hospital.

"I watched it all then... because I loved it so much," she recalled.

Daphne's friends and family had big plans for the milestone celebration, however, they had to change when COVID restrictions came into place.

Daphne also received acknowledgments on reaching her 100th birthday from the Prime Minister Scott Morrison and the Queen.

But, we can guess they came in second to her visit from Ray.

Having lived through the war, the Depression and now the coronavirus pandemic, Daphne credits her longevity to one simple trick - a stubby of beer a day.

"I don't feel old, so that's one thing, I just feel good," she said.

And:

'Stone the flamin' crows!' Ray Meagher surprises Home and Away's biggest fan on her 100th birthday at an aged care facility (and you won't believe her secret to a long life)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-birthday.html
    Last edited by Pantherboy; 20-08-2020 at 04:42.

Thread Information