Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alf Stewart (Ray Meagher)

Home and Away stalwart Ray Meagher has said that he has no plans to retire from the soap.

Meagher, who has played Alf Stewart in Summer Bay since the show started 25 years ago, has said that he never gets tired of playing his alter ego.

Speaking to Inside Soap, he explained: "I don't like the 'R-word.' I stay active by walking for an hour around the harbour where we film. And I try to eat healthily, too - well apart from the Curly Wurlies Georgie Parker [Roo] leaves in my dressing room!

"The show is different all the time. Alf's daughter Roo went away and a completely new one came back!

"There have been times when I have wanted to go off and do other things but I couldn't get out of Home and Away."

Meagher also spoke about working with cast members he doesn't necessarily get on with.

"In a cast where there are 20 regulars and lots of extras, you're not going to get on with everyone.

© Rex Features / Steve Meddle
    Ray Meagher and Georgie Parker on This Morning

"Sometimes you might not want to do a scene with someone, but once it's done, I just think, 'Right, where are Georgie and Emily [Marilyn]? I want someone I can have fun with."

Meagher recently revealed that the Australian soap will return to its roots.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Home and Away stalwart Ray Meagher has said that he has no plans to retire from the soap.

Meagher, who has played Alf Stewart in Summer Bay since the show started 25 years ago, has said that he never gets tired of playing his alter ego.

Speaking to Inside Soap, he explained: "I don't like the 'R-word.' I stay active by walking for an hour around the harbour where we film. And I try to eat healthily, too - well apart from the Curly Wurlies Georgie Parker [Roo] leaves in my dressing room!

"The show is different all the time. Alf's daughter Roo went away and a completely new one came back!

"There have been times when I have wanted to go off and do other things but I couldn't get out of Home and Away."

Meagher also spoke about working with cast members he doesn't necessarily get on with.

"In a cast where there are 20 regulars and lots of extras, you're not going to get on with everyone.

© Rex Features / Steve Meddle
    Ray Meagher and Georgie Parker on This Morning

"Sometimes you might not want to do a scene with someone, but once it's done, I just think, 'Right, where are Georgie and Emily [Marilyn]? I want someone I can have fun with."

Meagher recently revealed that the Australian soap will return to its roots.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Alf Stewart

Article appearing in March 23 Sunday Telegraph newspaper in Sydney:

Summer Bay’s Alf — aka Ray Meagher — revelling in show’s new storyline for Gallipoli anniversary

HOME and Away’s Ray Meagher is set to deliver some of his most dramatic performances as Alf Stewart in a powerful new plot line marking the Seven soap’s tribute to the Anzac centenary.

Meagher is the great Australian larrikin, loved by audiences as the battler of Summer Bay.

In the serious story arc — to play out next month in the lead up to the Gallipoli anniversary — Alf challenges the students of Summer Bay High to show more respect for our military legacy, while he struggles with the painful memories of his own war service in Vietnam.

The elder statesman of the top-rating series said the upcoming scenes — driven by the show’s resident director Geoffrey Nottage — will stand as some of his best work in the 70-year-old’s long career.

“It’s the best storyline I’ve had in a while and I felt humbled to be tackling such important material. I only hope we do it justice ... as a way to honour all our service men and women.”

While Alf carries the mental scars of his time in the trenches, Meagher was one of the lucky ones who missed out on being conscripted, simply because his birthdate wasn’t drawn in the national ballot.

In his early twenties, Meagher was living carefree and playing rugby in Queensland but remembers — with a heavy heart — farewelling “half a dozen good mates. One that didn’t come back was an absolutely amazing young man,” he said, choking up.

“The Lest We Forget message is so important and it was great for (the show) to do our bit to recognise that,” the former Gold Logie winner added.

The production was initially set to film on the Western Front in Europe, Meagher said, “but there weren’t enough bikkies (money) in the tin”.

Instead, the focus became the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, as well as a makeshift trench set up in Sydney’s south west.

On a lighter note, the TV veteran sent his best wishes to rival soap Neighbours, as they continue to celebrate 30 years on air.

“I don’t see them as rivals, just another wonderful show keeping great local people in employment. It’s been around just a bit longer than I have in this business, so I know what that takes ... congratulations to them all.”

In the words of Alf: “Flamin’ heck, it’s a good innings, but dig in fellas and don’t stop now. Keep up the good work.”

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (23-03-2015), lizann (23-03-2015), TaintedLove (22-03-2015), tammyy2j (23-03-2015)

I`m glad at least 1 cast member of H&A acknowledged Neighbours 30th anniversary. I had hoped that the whole cast would have done a tribute message - like they did for EastEnders 10th anniversary in 1995

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TaintedLove For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (23-03-2015), Pantherboy (23-03-2015), tammyy2j (23-03-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
    I`m glad at least 1 cast member of H&A acknowledged Neighbours 30th anniversary. I had hoped that the whole cast would have done a tribute message - like they did for EastEnders 10th anniversary in 1995
    As a long term viewer of both Neighbours and H&A, I couldn't agree with you more TaintedLove! Well said! It is great to see Ray's tribute (& also great to see H&A do the ANZAC storyline). Unfortunately I can't see Channel 7 letting the whole cast do an official tribute to a show on another channel - & if my memory serves me correctly, Neighbours actually started out on Channel 7 in the 1980's before they quickly dropped it & it moved to Channel 10 - they wouldn't want to be reminded of its longevity & how it flourished after they let it go!!
    Hopefully there will be some kind of tribute to Neighbours 30 years on the upcoming TV Week Logie awards!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (23-03-2015), TaintedLove (23-03-2015)

Home and Away will air a dark new storyline for long-running character Alf Stewart as he starts to experience flashbacks from his time as a soldier.

The new plot will kick off after Alf (Ray Meagher) takes a trip to the Australian War Memorial in Canberra with Marilyn and John Chambers.

Ray Meagher as Alf Stewart
    © Channel 5

Alf is initially reluctant to go on the school trip in the first place, and it seems his instincts prove to be right when he becomes overwhelmed with anxiety as he stands at the top of the steps to the War Memorial.

Although Marilyn is quick to offer her support, the situation intensifies for Alf once he goes inside, as he starts experiencing intense flashbacks of his days in the Vietnam War more than 40 years ago.

Jett is the first person to realise something isn't right with Alf and he quickly expresses his concerns to John.

Shane Withington, who plays John, told TV Week: "Alf can hear chopper noise inside. He comes out and it's clear something is wrong. Alf is having the rumblings of post-traumatic stress disorder."

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (08-04-2015), Pantherboy (08-04-2015), tammyy2j (27-04-2015)

It's good to see Alf getting a decent storyline for a change.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Pantherboy (08-04-2015), Perdita (08-04-2015), tammyy2j (27-04-2015)

Home and Away's Alf Stewart will find his life hanging in the balance when he collapses in a ditch after going missing.

The drama unfolds after Alf, John and Zac prepare to spend a night in the trenches with the students as part of a school trip.

As previously reported, Alf will start experiencing flashbacks while visiting the War Memorial as he is reminded of his time in the Vietnam War.

Once at the re-enactment site, everything starts to become too real for a distressed Alf (Ray Meagher) and it is clear he is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder.

The noise from the pyrotechnics and gunfire sounds are distressing Alf the most and he soon finds himself wandering off on his own, without realising.

Whilst Alf becomes disoriented and lost, a fight kicks off between the youngsters back at the trenches site after Josh discovers that Matt kissed Evie against her will.

However, the scuffle is quickly broken up when Alf's disappearance is noticed and they head off to try and find him. After searching all night, they finally find Alf in a bad way, having keeled over in a ditch.

Unsure of where he is, Alf complains of chest pains as everyone pulls together to try and help him. Alf is soon rushed into hospital and Roo is soon given the devastating news, but it is unclear over whether he will pull through.

Charlie Clausen, who plays Zac, told TV Week: "The way the re-enactment site works is that they use pyrotechnics and sounds of gunfire. Without realising it, this triggers Alf's post-traumatic stress disorder.

"He ends up disorientated and wanders off. He goes missing and the kids have to pull together to try and find him. It is about them realising there is a cause bigger than their own personal issues.

"They respond to the call to action, organise help and get Alf onto a stretcher."

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (15-04-2015), Pantherboy (14-04-2015)

Long-serving characters Leah Patterson-Baker and Alf Stewart will face a tough time in future Home and Away episodes, as they battle with separate health concerns.

Both Alf (Ray Meagher) and Leah (Ada Nicodemou) will face an uncertain future as they become increasingly concerned about their well-being.

Australian viewers have recently seen Alf (Ray Meagher) collapse in a ditch after he became disoriented during a trip to the trenches.

As Leah reels in the aftermath of slapping her son VJ, she takes time out on the beach as she struggles to understand where her temper has come from.

However, it doesn't take long for Leah's temper to rear its ugly head again as she verbally abuses Irene and lashes out and hits Chris.

Nicodemou told TV Week: "Leah loses it. She is just so scared because her behaviour is out of character. Leah is worried they are part of a bigger issue which she doesn't want to confront because she has only just come out of a coma."

Meanwhile, Alf also faces a difficult time as he returns home from hospital with no clear idea of why he suffered a heart episode in the trenches.

Later, after he shouts at his daughter Roo, he suffers another serious cardio incident and has to be taken back into hospital.

After undergoing tests, Nate gets a hunch about what might be going on with Alf when he discovers what happened prior to his most recent collapse.

Kyle Pryor, who plays Nate, said: "Alf was looking at old war photos and that is when Nate puts two and two together. Nate thinks he might be suffering post-traumatic stress disorder from his time at war."
    Last edited by Perdita; 27-04-2015 at 12:51.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (27-04-2015), Pantherboy (27-04-2015), TaintedLove (27-04-2015), tammyy2j (27-04-2015)

Leah slapping Chris and VJ Version 2?
    I think I`m going to like this new Leah

Thread Information