Digital Spy article:

AUST PACE!

Exclusive: Home and Away's Ray Meagher explains Alf Stewart's temporary exit.
There's been a new Martha twist in Summer Bay.

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hom...emporary-exit/

Home and Away legend Ray Meagher has explained why Alf Stewart is taking a short break from screens.

Scenes airing on Channel 7 in Australia this week saw Alf head off on a trip with his first wife Martha (Belinda Giblin), together and united once again. The pair have been reconnecting in recent weeks following Martha's surprise return to Summer Bay.

In real life, the story helped to facilitate some time off for Ray, who starred in the 10th anniversary theatre production of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert in Brisbane last year.

Speaking to Digital Spy about what happens next, Ray explained: "I think Alf's away for about six weeks.

"I enjoyed doing some theatre work again – I just loved the piece. It was Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, and I had done that previously in the West End, in New Zealand and in Sydney.

"It was an opportunity to do it in my old hometown, which is Brisbane in Queensland. So I loved doing it."

Asked whether there's a chance we could see Martha in Summer Bay full-time, Ray replied: "Belinda does a hell of a lot of theatre. She does a lot of things, actually. She is a very much in-demand actress.

"I'd love her to come in on a permanent basis. But whether it goes down that direction or not, I'm not sure."

Ray went on to praise the show's bosses for telling a love story involving the older generation, rather than just focusing on the teens and 20-somethings.

He said: "I think the show tries to deal with all sorts of situations and all sorts of things. It's great that older people, and storylines relating to older people like this, are represented.

"As an actor on a show like this, it's obviously a youth-oriented show – and rightly so. Most of the storylines go to the younger people.

"But for the older people to get a reasonable storyline once or twice a year – when it's a storyline like this that's good fun to do – it's just absolutely fantastic.

"This year the storyline with Martha is definitely there, and I get the feeling that there may be more of it. And also, Ryder, Alf's grandson, keeps me busy. He's always getting into strife one way or another.

"Roo is also a constant sparring partner. We’re either very supportive of one another, or at one another's throats over something or other. So there's plenty for Alf to do. And in the meantime, when there's not, he just loves going fishing!"

Home and Away airs weekdays at 1.15pm and 6pm on Channel 5 (UK) and Mondays to Thursdays at 7pm on Channel 7 (Australia).