Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alf Stewart (Ray Meagher)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Meagher to take six-month 'H&A' break

Ray Meagher has announced that he is to take a six-month break from Home and Away to star in London's West End.

The actor, who plays Summer Bay legend Alf Stewart, has signed up to take over the role of Bob in the musical Priscilla, Queen of the Desert from September.

Speaking to the Herald Sun about his new project, Meagher explained: "[Home and Away] have very generously allowed me to do Priscilla in the West End from September 20 roughly until early March.

"I did two weeks [as Bob] in Sydney when Michael Caton wanted to have a rest, and that is when the producers said, 'Do you want to do this in London?'.

"I think the funniest thing for me is a bloke from the bush, who cannot sing or dance, has been asked to do a musical in the West End. That appeals to my perverse sense of humour."

Meagher's current Home and Away contract runs until 2012.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (20-04-2010), lizann (21-04-2010), tammyy2j (20-04-2010)

Aww, I'll miss Alf...

I cant imagine H&A without Alf

Strewth

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

lizann (21-04-2010)

He will go and visit Roo probably

Home and Away star Ray Meagher has revealed that he is feeling nervous and excited as he awaits his upcoming role in London's West End.

The actor last month announced that he is taking over the part of Bob in the musical Priscilla, Queen of the Desert from September.

Speaking to TV Week about his forthcoming commitment, Meagher admitted: "I'm sure you always have a few nerves. But I replaced Michael Caton for two weeks in the role in Sydney and I loved it - really loved it. So I'm looking forward to doing it again."

As previously announced, the theatre part means that Meagher is to take a six-month break from playing Summer Bay's Alf Stewart.

He said: "The producers of Home and Away have been very generous to give me that much time off. I think they thought, 'You've been here a long time, you've earned it. Go and enjoy it'."

Meagher recently won Australian television's prestigious Gold Logie prize.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (12-05-2010)

Home And Away star Ray Meagher is relieved to have avoided a drag queen's role in Priscilla Queen Of The Desert.

The actor, who has starred as lovable grump Alf Stewart since the start of the Aussie soap, has taken a break from Summer Bay to play Aussie mechanic Bob in the super camp musical in London's West End.

He said: "Ben Richards (who plays Tick) said he absolutely hates dressing up. He loves doing the show, but he said women deserve a medal for wearing high heels - they hurt your back, they hurt your feet. I take his word for it and am quite happy I don't have to do that."

Although Bob and Alf are both Australian, Ray said the two characters are quite different from each other.

"Alf is a little bit like Bob on steroids. Bob is a lot calmer, not as aggressive or fly off the handleish as Alf can be. But he's a lovely bloke, with a heart of gold and all of that. Alf's got that too but in a different casing."

Ray, who returns to Home and Away next year, added: "I still enjoy playing Alf but I'm really enjoying this because it is very different."

Priscilla Queen Of The Desert is on at the Palace Theatre in London.

Alf Stewart

Article appearing in March 23 Sunday Telegraph newspaper in Sydney:

Summer Bay’s Alf — aka Ray Meagher — revelling in show’s new storyline for Gallipoli anniversary

HOME and Away’s Ray Meagher is set to deliver some of his most dramatic performances as Alf Stewart in a powerful new plot line marking the Seven soap’s tribute to the Anzac centenary.

Meagher is the great Australian larrikin, loved by audiences as the battler of Summer Bay.

In the serious story arc — to play out next month in the lead up to the Gallipoli anniversary — Alf challenges the students of Summer Bay High to show more respect for our military legacy, while he struggles with the painful memories of his own war service in Vietnam.

The elder statesman of the top-rating series said the upcoming scenes — driven by the show’s resident director Geoffrey Nottage — will stand as some of his best work in the 70-year-old’s long career.

“It’s the best storyline I’ve had in a while and I felt humbled to be tackling such important material. I only hope we do it justice ... as a way to honour all our service men and women.”

While Alf carries the mental scars of his time in the trenches, Meagher was one of the lucky ones who missed out on being conscripted, simply because his birthdate wasn’t drawn in the national ballot.

In his early twenties, Meagher was living carefree and playing rugby in Queensland but remembers — with a heavy heart — farewelling “half a dozen good mates. One that didn’t come back was an absolutely amazing young man,” he said, choking up.

“The Lest We Forget message is so important and it was great for (the show) to do our bit to recognise that,” the former Gold Logie winner added.

The production was initially set to film on the Western Front in Europe, Meagher said, “but there weren’t enough bikkies (money) in the tin”.

Instead, the focus became the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, as well as a makeshift trench set up in Sydney’s south west.

On a lighter note, the TV veteran sent his best wishes to rival soap Neighbours, as they continue to celebrate 30 years on air.

“I don’t see them as rivals, just another wonderful show keeping great local people in employment. It’s been around just a bit longer than I have in this business, so I know what that takes ... congratulations to them all.”

In the words of Alf: “Flamin’ heck, it’s a good innings, but dig in fellas and don’t stop now. Keep up the good work.”

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (23-03-2015), lizann (22-03-2015), TaintedLove (22-03-2015), tammyy2j (23-03-2015)

I`m glad at least 1 cast member of H&A acknowledged Neighbours 30th anniversary. I had hoped that the whole cast would have done a tribute message - like they did for EastEnders 10th anniversary in 1995

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TaintedLove For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (23-03-2015), Pantherboy (23-03-2015), tammyy2j (23-03-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
    I`m glad at least 1 cast member of H&A acknowledged Neighbours 30th anniversary. I had hoped that the whole cast would have done a tribute message - like they did for EastEnders 10th anniversary in 1995
    As a long term viewer of both Neighbours and H&A, I couldn't agree with you more TaintedLove! Well said! It is great to see Ray's tribute (& also great to see H&A do the ANZAC storyline). Unfortunately I can't see Channel 7 letting the whole cast do an official tribute to a show on another channel - & if my memory serves me correctly, Neighbours actually started out on Channel 7 in the 1980's before they quickly dropped it & it moved to Channel 10 - they wouldn't want to be reminded of its longevity & how it flourished after they let it go!!
    Hopefully there will be some kind of tribute to Neighbours 30 years on the upcoming TV Week Logie awards!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pantherboy For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (23-03-2015), TaintedLove (23-03-2015)

Home and Away will air a dark new storyline for long-running character Alf Stewart as he starts to experience flashbacks from his time as a soldier.

The new plot will kick off after Alf (Ray Meagher) takes a trip to the Australian War Memorial in Canberra with Marilyn and John Chambers.

Ray Meagher as Alf Stewart
    © Channel 5

Alf is initially reluctant to go on the school trip in the first place, and it seems his instincts prove to be right when he becomes overwhelmed with anxiety as he stands at the top of the steps to the War Memorial.

Although Marilyn is quick to offer her support, the situation intensifies for Alf once he goes inside, as he starts experiencing intense flashbacks of his days in the Vietnam War more than 40 years ago.

Jett is the first person to realise something isn't right with Alf and he quickly expresses his concerns to John.

Shane Withington, who plays John, told TV Week: "Alf can hear chopper noise inside. He comes out and it's clear something is wrong. Alf is having the rumblings of post-traumatic stress disorder."

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (08-04-2015), Pantherboy (08-04-2015), tammyy2j (27-04-2015)

Thread Information