Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: David Platt (Jack P Shepherd)

Quote Originally Posted by olivia1896 View Post
    Honestly I can’t help feel that she’s doing all these serious storylines because she wants the show to win awards. But yes male rape is a topic that needs the be talked about and jack p shepherd will nail it no doubt
    I agree, Kate loves all the media attention and awards but Jack will do an amazing job

I hope this leads to the end of him and Shona as I think they are better as friends, it could lead him closer to Maria (after her "attack" from Frank) and Carla, as in closer friends with both

Totally agree with you Tamyy2j, Jack is good, and not keen on him with Shona, he needs a complete change of type of Girlfriend, someone who can love and dish it out the firm hand when
    David is naughty, got to change me thinks

Note: The following article contains discussion of sexual assault that some readers may find upsetting.

Coronation Street star Julia Goulding has spoken out about how the soap will approach the topic of male rape in an upcoming storyline.

News recently broke that soap bosses have cast newcomer Ryan Clayton as Josh Tucker for an upcoming storyline that will centre on the aftermath of Josh drugging and raping David Platt (Jack P. Shepherd).

At the National Television Awards on Tuesday (January 23), Julia Goulding — who plays Shona Ramsey — chatted to Digital Spy about why it's "important" for Corrie to address a loaded topic like male rape.

"I think it's important to keep challenging the way people perceive the show," she said. "If you keep the storylines light all the time, it would get boring, so it's good to mix it up.

"I have total faith in [producer] Kate [Oates], the production and the writers that they know what they're doing with this. But I don't think it's going to be dark forever."

As for how Jack P. Shepherd is approaching this turning point for his character David, Julia assured us: "He's such a professional, he just takes everything in his stride.

David Platt wants Shona Ramsey to move in in Coronation Street
    © ITV
    "Obviousl
    y Coronation Street have done a lot of research with Jack and with people who have been raped. I think he's going to do it absolute justice and he's a fantastic actor."

Julia said she thinks that her own character Shona will also eventually enter into the aftermath of this traumatic event for David, as he tries to rebuild his life.

"At the moment, we're not sure exactly what road they're going to go down with it, but I think it's a really important issue to address and I think Jack's going to be absolutely amazing," she predicted. "I've got a good feeling about it."

Digital Spy

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post

"I have total faith in [producer] Kate [Oates], the production and the writers that they know what they're doing with this."

Digital Spy
    I would have thought that Julia Goulding has been there long enough to have had this touching faith knocked out of her.

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    I would have thought that Julia Goulding has been there long enough to have had this touching faith knocked out of her.
    I think only the storylines where Pat Phelan is involved are ...ummm... well.. absurd, farcical, ludicrous etc, but the major stories with David (Kylie's death and his grief), Bethany's grooming story were well done and I am sure that Jack will do a good job of this forthcoming storyline .. occasionally they get things right, sadly not often these days

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/coro...sh-attack-lee/

Coronation Street's David Platt will team up with newcomer Josh Tucker to get revenge on Lee Mayhew next week by beating him up!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (13-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/coro...sh-attack-lee/

Coronation Street's David Platt will team up with newcomer Josh Tucker to get revenge on Lee Mayhew next week by beating him up!!!
    I forgot about Lee with Sarah Louise, did the police ever catch him?

I wish that they had kept quiet about this storyline for a while. They told us before he even started on the street!

Coronation Street star Jack P Shepherd has spoken about David Platt's male rape storyline for the first time.

The ITV soap airs one of its darkest ever plots next week as David is sexually assaulted by his boxing coach Josh Tucker (Ryan Clayton) after a night out.

Soap fans have known about the story since late last year, but the full details have been announced today (March 6) ahead of broadcast next week.

In Coronation Street's double bill on Friday, March 16, Josh spikes David's drink while on a night out and later takes him back to his flat.

David wakes up the next morning in Josh's bed and although the mechanic has already left, a traumatised David starts to remember what happened to him the night before.

Struggling to come to terms with what's happened, David then wrestles with a difficult decision over whether to report the crime to the police or not.

He also keeps his ordeal secret from his family and friends, who grow increasingly worried when they notice him acting strangely in the weeks that follow.

Corrie producer Kate Oates and her team have worked on the storyline with help from local charity Survivors Manchester and its founder Duncan Craig, who also previously consulted on male rape storylines in Channel 4's Hollyoaks.

Speaking about the storyline, Jack explained: "David thinks he has made a new friend in Josh. He hasn't really ever had a male friend and no male role models, because his dad is not around and Nick has moved away.

"He's been trying to impress Josh with his training for the fight and he is enjoying his company. He has no reason to think Josh is anything other than a mate.

"When I was told about the storyline, Kate Oates and I met with Duncan from Survivors Manchester and that was when I realised the gravity and significance of the storyline. David's reaction and decision to remain quiet because he feels ashamed about what has happened is not uncommon.

"Hopefully people will start talking about the storyline and it could help someone who has gone through something similar to realise the need to open up and speak to somebody."

Kate Oates added: "We decided to cover the topic of male rape to help try and highlight the culture of silence that surrounds male sexual assault, and issues surrounding male mental health in general.

"Survivors Manchester have been so generous with their time and knowledge, working with Jack, Ryan and the team, and I'm in awe of the work they do.

"Over the next few weeks of Corrie, our message is to talk: it's hard to speak out, but if you're suffering in silence, there are people out there willing to listen and support you."

Coronation Street airs these scenes on Friday, March 16 at 7.30pm and 8.30pm on ITV.

Survivors Manchester is available to support adult male survivors of sexual abuse and rape. Its website can be found at www.survivorsmanchester.org.uk and its helpline is 0161 236 2182. Local support agencies for all male and female survivors can be found at www.thesurvivorstrust.org. In an emergency, please dial 999.

Digital Spy

Thread Information