Thread: Michael Leader (EastEnders milkman for many years ) passes away

Exclamation Michael Leader (EastEnders milkman for many years ) passes away

EastEnders has paid a touching tribute to long-serving supporting artist Michael Leader, who's sadly passed away.

Just like Ian Beale and Tracey the Barmaid, Michael had been part of the show's cast since the very first episode in February 1985, playing Albert Square's milkman.

"We were terribly saddened to hear that our dear friend and colleague Michael Leader passed away on Monday," an EastEnders statement read.

"Michael has been on the show since the very first episode and will be sorely missed by the EastEnders family, past and present."

Michael Leader as the milkman in EastEnders
    © BBC
    EastEnders stars have also been paying tribute on Twitter.

Follow
    Danny Dyer ✔ @MrDDyer
    R.I.P Michael my old son. R.I.P. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ https://twitter.com/bbceastenders/st...00032160706560
    12:53 PM - 24 Aug 2016
    56 56 Retweets 391 391 likes

Our lovely Michael. A true gentleman & 'old pro'. I'll miss you xx http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/eastender...e-47a5af099c96
    1:16 PM - 24 Aug 2016
    6 6 Retweets 18 18 likes
    Follow
    Robert Kazinsky ✔ @RobertKazinsky
    Sorry to see you go Michael, you were always a class act. https://twitter.com/walfordweb/statu...36303087157248
    7:38 PM - 23 Aug 2016
    16 16 Retweets 78 78 likes
    View image on Twitter
    View image on Twitter
    Follow
    Ted Reilly ✔ @Ted_Reilly14
    Michael Leader was a man who made @bbceastenders more than a T.V. show. RIP to an Albert Square legend. 😔
    12:54 PM - 24 Aug 2016
    17 17 Retweets 73 73 likes
    Follow
    Jonny Labey ✔ @jonnylabey
    Such sad news! RIP to the kindest, most supportive man I've met! ❤ xx https://twitter.com/bbceastenders/st...00032160706560
    2:11 PM - 24 Aug 2016
    9 9 Retweets 73 73 likes
    Follow
    Danielle Harold ✔ @DHaroldOfficial
    R.I.P Michael Such a lovely man and a true gentlemen 🙏💕
    2:01 PM - 24 Aug 2016
    5 5 Retweets 44 44 likes

Follow
    BBC EastEnders ✔ @bbceastenders
    Our dear friend and colleague Michael Leader passed away on Monday. He will be greatly missed.#EastEnders
    12:50 PM - 24 Aug 2016
    186 186 Retweets 572 572 likes
    Michael's character was part of EastEnders for 16 years before he finally got a line, dropping off a drunken Kat Slater (Jessie Wallace) to her father Charlie after giving her a lift on his milk float.

"Is this yours, Squire?" he asked Charlie, finally getting some time in the Albert Square spotlight.

Reflecting on the hilarious moment at the time, Michael told the Daily Mail: "I'm happy I've got my little break and I'm very very pleased to still be in the show after all these years.

"I just work at EastEnders and have done for 16 years - it was very exciting to twinkle for a few seconds among an array of stars. I had loads of phone calls from friends. If the viewing figures went up by another 50, you know who to thank!"

Michael's milkman character was recently seen in EastEnders for Peggy Mitchell's final episodes, helping to send her out in style by giving her a ride around the Square in his milk float.

Away from EastEnders, Michael will also be fondly remembered by Star Wars fans for one of the film franchise's most well-known on-screen gaffes. He was the Stormtrooper who infamously hit his head on a door in Star Wars: A New Hope in 1977.

Digital Spy

RIP Michael

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (24-08-2016), Glen1 (24-08-2016), parkerman (16-09-2016), Ruffed_lemur (29-08-2016), tammyy2j (14-09-2016)

Albert Square is still in mourning over the passing of one of EastEnders' original residents.

At the end of Tuesday's episode, EastEnders aired a special memorial card in honour of supporting artist Michael Leader - who played Michael the milkman for 31 years.

EastEnders Michael Leader tribute
    © BBC
    The memorial message reads simply: "In memory of Michael Leader, 1938 - 2016."

Leader's history on Albert Square dates all the way back to the very first EastEnders episode in February 1985 - making the milkman an original just like Ian Beale and Tracey the Barmaid.

Announcing Leader's passing in August, an EastEnders spokesperson said: "We were terribly saddened to hear that our dear friend and colleague Michael Leader passed away on Monday.

"Michael has been on the show since the very first episode and will be sorely missed by the EastEnders family, past and present."

He was also remembered by cast members Danny Dyer and Bonnie Langford, who referred to the late actor as "a true gentleman and old pro".

It was actually 16 long years before Leader got a line on the BBC One soap - when he handed off a drunken Kat Slater (Jessie Wallace) to her bewildered father Charlie (Derek Martin).

"Is this yours, Squire?" the milkman quizzically asked Charlie. And history was made!

Aside from EastEnders, Michael is still remembered by Star Wars fans for one of the film franchise's most notorious (and funniest) on-screen gaffes.

It was Michael who brought laughs to millions playing the Stormtrooper who infamously bonked his head on a door in Star Wars: A New Hope all the way back in 1977.

R.I.P. Michael Leader.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

parkerman (14-09-2016), tammyy2j (14-09-2016)

R.I.P. Michael Leader

Thread Information