Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corrie to have 6 episodes a week

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    I don't watch Emmerdale but you make me feel pessimistic about Corrie's future. Kate Oates' failings you've listed above mirror what I recently said on another thread was my opinion of why Corrie is so underwhelming at the moment. The last thing we need is yet more sensationalism and shallowness at the expense of characterisation...
    This is just my personal opinion. Most Emmerdale viewers were happy with Kate Oates' work. I wasn't one of them though. She was all about shocking storylines and very little characterisation, the helicopter crash etc. It's funny, because in the other thread this is one of the things they consider a strength, but it's a weakness to me. But then again, that's just me. Truth is I wouldn't mind a shocking storyline now and again, I just felt like Kate Oates went there far too often on Emmerdale. Oh well, guess we'll see what happens on Corrie. Maybe it won't be as bad as I think, at least I hope so.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to livden For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (05-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by livden View Post
    This is just my personal opinion. Most Emmerdale viewers were happy with Kate Oates' work. I wasn't one of them though. She was all about shocking storylines and very little characterisation, the helicopter crash etc. It's funny, because in the other thread this is one of the things they consider a strength, but it's a weakness to me. But then again, that's just me. Truth is I wouldn't mind a shocking storyline now and again, I just felt like Kate Oates went there far too often on Emmerdale. Oh well, guess we'll see what happens on Corrie. Maybe it won't be as bad as I think, at least I hope so.
    I agree with you: too many shocks and twists can lost their impact and get boring. We want some of course, as long as they're realistic within the Corrie universe and in character for those involved. I think there was almost universal agreement for instance that the Lewis conning Gail storyline and final twist were perfect.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Perdita (05-07-2016)

So, where exactly will the much-talked-about sixth episode of Coronation Street fit into the schedules?

ITV boss Kevin Lygo was keeping very tight-lipped when he was interviewed at the Edinburgh Television Festival this week - but he did promise that fans are in for a welcome surprise. Let's hope so, eh?

Corrie's output will increase from five episodes to six in autumn 2017, but exact details of how the schedule will change have remained under wraps.

Speaking about the extra episode, Lygo commented: "Obviously I'm not going to tell you where it's going, but it's going to go in a marvellous place that everybody's going to be thrilled with."

Could he have been hinting at a return to Corrie on Sundays, the option which seems to be most favoured by fans?

Only time will tell, but Lygo was clear about just how seriously the channel is taking the introduction of the sixth episode.

He explained: "It's not going to come in until much later next year, because I wanted to get it absolutely right. One thing is for sure, I can't muck about with Coronation Street. It's arguably the most important show on the channel.

"So an extra episode is great if you're a Coronation Street fan, which I am, but it needs to be very carefully handled in the production sense. I can't tell you the complexities of going from five episodes to six, it's weirdly disproportionate.

"I'm very fortunate in having Kate Oates, who's the new producer of the Street, who has come over from Emmerdale where they've been making six episodes for several years now. It involves quite a change in production."

Opinions have been divided on the introduction of a sixth episode, with fans initially accusing ITV of "overkill" when the decision was announced in June.

ITV has promised that the current layout of the Coronation Street set will be expanded to help facilitate the change in production.

Additional studio space will be created on the existing site in Trafford, Manchester and it's also expected that new characters will be introduced to help create more storylines.

Digital Spy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (26-08-2016)

Coronation Street has finally revealed when the show will move to its new schedule of six episodes a week.

An extra weekly episode has been in the works for a long time, and was announced in the summer of 2016. Today (September 6), the ITV soap confirmed that it is indeed putting those plans into action – this very month, in fact.

The sixth episode will air on Wednesdays at 8.30pm, meaning that fans will get double helpings on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

The new schedule kicks off on Wednesday, September 20, just in time for the double wedding of Eva & Aidan and Jenny & Johnny.

Furthermore, construction work is in progress to deliver additional studio space and "more exterior filming opportunities". The expansion will finish early next year, and fans can hope to see the new areas in the spring.

Coronation Street executive producer Kieran Roberts said: "Getting ready to deliver our extra weekly episode has taken our amazing team more than a year of hard work on everything from story-lining to studio building.

"Now we're thrilled to be launching our extra weekly episode on Wednesday, September 20 at the heart of a truly unmissable week of high drama, high emotion, and heartwarming comedy."

Back in February, Roberts stated that the extra weekly episode would allow for a stronger emphasis on comedy, as well as a focus on lesser-known characters.

Digital Spy

Thread Information