Thread: Corrie to have 6 episodes a week

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Corrie to have 6 episodes a week

The nation’s most successful and popular soap drama, Coronation Street, is to broadcast a sixth weekly episode from late 2017, ITV announced today.

ITV’s Director of Television, Kevin Lygo, said the news reflected the broadcaster’s commitment to high quality soap for its hugely loyal audience.
    I am a life-long fan of Coronation Street and one of the first things I wanted to explore when I became Director of Television was taking the production to six episodes a week.

The soaps are the cornerstone of the ITV schedule, and Coronation Street continues to
    produce some of the finest drama and comedy on television. It is a hugely important part of what has defined ITV throughout its history, and I want it to continue to be right at the heart of what ITV defines in years to come.

As a viewer I have watched the soap as it has continued to evolve, entertain, and grip the
    nation with fantastic storylines and this move will be the next exciting chapter in Corrie's story.
    – ITV’s Director of Television, Kevin Lygo.
    ITV Studios Managing Director of Continuing Drama and Head of ITV in the North, John
    Whiston, who has responsibility for overseeing both Coronation Street and Emmerdale, said:
    From a creative perspective this is an extremely exciting development for the production team, writers, cast and crew who work on our globally renowned soap drama. Coronation Street’s new producer Kate Oates, modern filming and editing facilities at the programme’s Production Centre and our fantastic, peerless drama teams will help turn this great idea into reality.
    – ITV Studios Managing Director of Continuing Drama and Head of ITV in the North, John Whiston.
    The plan, which was unveiled to the writers, cast and crew today, will create employment
    opportunities adding a new and exciting dimension to filming the UK’s longest running soap drama.

The current layout of the set will be extended to facilitate the expansion in production, and create additional studio space on the 7.7-acre site in Trafford, Manchester. The programme currently has four operational studios, as well as the exterior lot of Coronation Street, and space has been identified on site for the creation of a further filming zone.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (29-06-2016), Glen1 (30-06-2016)

Thread Information