Thread: Eurovision Song Contest 2016

Eurovision Song Contest 2016

After a tense night, Ukraine were named winners of the Eurovision Song Contest 2016 with contestant Jamala and her song '1944'.

But a new voting system, based half on traditional jury points and half on the new popular votes, turned things around and made events much more dramatic.

Eurovision 2016: Australia's Dami Im in the green room© Getty Images Michael Campanella

Australia's Dami Im was the frontrunner as the traditional jury points were dished out, gaining a host of 12-point scores.

She topped the jury votes with 230 points, and was followed by Ukraine in second place throughout with 211 points.

However, the popular vote turned the table around, with low jury-scoring countries such as Bulgaria moving right up to the top.

After intense changes to the board from televotes, however, Ukraine took over at the very last minute, with an overall total of 534, putting Australia into second place.

They also fended off a potential challenge from Russia, who topped the popular vote.

Her song '1944' had political undertones, its lyrics focusing on the Soviet persecution of Crimean Tatars at the end of World War II.

The UK's Joe & Jake finished with 62 points, putting them third from bottom of the leaderboard (oh well).

Richard Osman made his debut delivering the UK's jury points on a night which saw Graham Norton paying a touching tribute to the late Terry Wogan during his commentary.

"Eight years ago when I was lucky enough to get this job of commentating, Sir Terry very kindly and graciously phoned me... the only bit of advice he had for me was: 'don't have a drink before song nine'," he recalled, just before hosts Sweden took to the stage with their track 'Sorry' - ninth in the running order.

"I would urge you back in the UK at home to raise a cup, a mug, a glass, whatever you have, and give thanks for the man who was, and always will be, the voice of Eurovision. Sir Terry Wogan."

Digital Spy

Australia actually topped the first round with 320 points not 230........not that I was watching...ahem.....

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

Perdita (15-05-2016), Siobhan (15-05-2016)

I forgot all about it being on tv Wish I had seen it now

Russia's stage thing was amazing. Well worth catching if you missed it.

New voting thing, well, it livened it up a bit.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rear window For This Useful Post:

Perdita (15-05-2016), Siobhan (15-05-2016)

Thread Information