Thread: Neighbours creator Reg Grundy dies age 92

Unhappy Neighbours creator Reg Grundy dies age 92

Wheel of Fortune and Neighbours creator Reg Grundy dies aged 92

Reg Grundy with wife Joyce Chambers

Reg Grundy, creator of some of television's best loved shows,*has died in his wife's arms at the age of 92, Australian media reported.*"Reg Grundy has passed away in the arms of his beloved wife Joy on their Bermuda estate," Alan Jones said on 2GB radio on Monday.

Mr Grundy invented the game show Wheel of Fortune 49 years ago while working on radio in Sydney and took the concept to television at Channel Nine in 1959.He went onto produce several iconic programs in Australia and the US.*Among his best known hits were Neighbours, Sons and Daughters, The Young Doctors and Prisoners: Cell Block H.

The popular soap Neighbours, which made*Kylie Minogue*and Jason Donovan international stars, is still running today.News of his death came hours after the Australian television's annual awards night, the Logies, were held in Melbourne.

Greatest achievement of Reg Grundy was taking Australian drama to the world#Prisoner*in America#Neighbours*in the UK and then

Andrew Mercado (@andrewmercado)*8 May 2016 Throughout the years Mr Grundy's shows, and the actors in them, won dozens of Logies.“The word 'Grundy' is synonymous with game shows through the ages,” TODAY’s entertainment editor

Richard Wilkins said on Monday morning.*Colloquially, in Australia, "Reg Grundies", or "Grundies" is used as*rhyming slang for "undies", or underwear. As tributes have started pouring on social media, calls for Reg Grundies to be displayed in his honour have already started*populating*the net.Put out your Reg Grundies Australia.*Vale media pioneer Reg Grundy*https://t.co/UlpYI4uTSo*pic.twitter.com/dVSUTLkYA8— Jacob Aldridge (@jacobaldridge)*

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-dies-aged-92/
    Last edited by eni294; 09-05-2016 at 07:12.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eni294 For This Useful Post:

daisy12 (11-05-2016), Ruffed_lemur (09-05-2016)

Neighbours producer Reg Grundy dies aged 92

Reg Grundy, the producer behind soap opera Neighbours, has died aged 92.

The Australian TV mogul - whose hits also included The Young Doctors and Prisoner: Cell Block H - passed away in Bermuda where he lived with his wife, the BBC said.Neighbours brought Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan, who played young couple Scott and Charlene Robinson, worldwide fame as pop stars.

The CEO of Grundy's former company Grundy Worldwide, which later became known as FremantleMedia Australia, paid tribute to him.Ian Hogg said Grundy was an "icon" and that his "innate understanding of great storytelling and entertainment lives on today" through programmes like Neighbours which are still running.
    Last edited by eni294; 09-05-2016 at 07:40.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eni294 For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (09-05-2016)

Reg Grundy dead: Neighbours creator dies aged 92

REG GRUNDY, the creator behind the popular Australian soap opera Neighbours, has passed away at the age of 92.

Reg Grundy has passed away at the age of 92

The media mogul reportedly died in the arms of his wife at their home in Bermuda on Sunday.According to Seven News, Reg's health had been deteriorating in recent times but the cause of death remains unknown.

The legend, who was known as the godfather of Australian television, was responsible for producing Wheel of Fortune, Sale of the Century and Blankety Blanks as well as Neighbours.He started Reg Grundy Productions in 1959, in Australia, before going on to produce and host the Wheel of Fortune gameshow for the radio before it became a success on the small screen.

Reg was the creator behind the popular Australian soap Neighbours

He died in the arms of his wife Joy in their Bermuda home

He developed the soap in the mid-1980s with the head of drama of his production company, Reg Watson.Neighbours, which is still running today, made Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan international stars.

Reg was married to actress and author Joy Chambers in 1971 and she appeared in many of his soap operas.GETTYHe lived in Bermuda for the past three decades where he indulged his passion for wildlife

He launched the careers of Kylie and Jason in Neighbours

For the past three decades they have lived in Bermuda, where he indulged his passion photographing wildlife, publishing books and staging exhibitions of his work.

He was awarded an OBE in the 1983 Queen's New Year's Honours List was made a Companion of the Order of Australia in 2008.He is survived by wife Joy and his daughter Kim, from his first marriage to Lola Powell.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eni294 For This Useful Post:

daisy12 (11-05-2016), maidmarian (09-05-2016)

Among many tributes are from current Neighbours crew:

The Neighbours actor Stefan Dennis, who plays Paul Robinson in the long-running soapie, told Guardian Australia he cut his teeth on Grundy shows, including The Young Doctors and Prisoner.

“I had the pleasure of being the on-screen nephew of Reg’s lovely wife Joy,” Dennis said.

“Hearing of the passing of Reg has genuinely rocked my world because not only was he my boss but an inspiration, proving anything can be achieved if you believe in yourself. Reg was a tough businessman who was loved by many.

"Grundy’s relationship with Joy was “one of the true love stories in the entertainment industry”, Dennis said.

Prisoner star, Colette Mann said she had Grundy to thank for her career.

“If it hadn’t been for Prisoner, which was a benchmark in Australian television – Reg took the gamble at the time when women were not cast in strong roles – it was groundbreaking and I know I wouldn’t be still doing what I love today if it wasn’t for his vision,” Mann said.

The Neighbours veteran Jackie Woodburne, who plays Susan Kennedy, got her start on The Young Doctors and credited Grundy for giving her a career in acting: “Reg was a true groundbreaker in Australian television in the 70s and 80s, and beyond in light entertainment and drama,” Woodburne said.

“Shows like Young Doctors, where I cut my teeth, were a pivotal part of Australian TV. Above all he was just a lovely man and he will be very missed.”

Her Fellow Neighbours cast member Alan Fletcher – Dr Karl Kennedy – called Grundy a giant of the industry. “His passion and vision brought the world entertainment of the highest standard for many decades,” Fletcher said.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-ra...tor-reg-grundy
    Last edited by eni294; 09-05-2016 at 08:03.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to eni294 For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (09-05-2016)

Jason Donovan leads tributes to 'legendary' Neighbours creator Reg Grundy

Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan perform at the Hit Factory Live Christmas Cracker concert at the O2 arena in London in 2013

Jason Donovan has led tributes to the "legendary" Reg Grundy, the producer behind soap opera Neighbours, who has died at the age of 92.

Grundy, who also presented his country's version of Wheel Of Fortune, died in Bermuda where he had lived with his wife Joy since 1982, the BBC said.Donovan, who starred alongside Kylie Minogue in the Australian soap opera as young couple Scott and Charlene Robinson, said he was "lucky" to have known the TV mogul.

The pop star said: "I was so sad to hear about the passing of Reg Grundy. I'm old enough to remember a time when the true pioneers of Australian television industry built it from nothing and gave opportunities to actors, directors and crew alike."

Reg was one of these legendary founders and Neighbours was one of the many products of his life's work."

"I was lucky to be a small part of his world. My thoughts go out to his family at this time."

Sydney native Grundy's shows were hits around the world and also included The Young Doctors and Prisoner: Cell Block H.Two of his shows - Family Feud and the Prisoner remake Wentworth - picked up gongs at the Logie Awards in Melbourne on Sunday, an awards show celebrating the best of Australian television.Grundy was also inducted into the Logies' Hall of Fame in 1993. He was made a Companion of the Order of Australia in 2008 for his outstanding contributions to the television industry and promotion of Australia overseas."

Neighbours' executive producer Jason Herbison said: "Everyone at Neighbours owes a huge debt to Reg Grundy. Quite simply, we wouldn't be here without him

."He will be remembered as a pioneer of Australian television and a true gentleman. His legacy at Neighbours lives on and we hope to do him proud."Stefan Dennis, who has starred in Neighbours since 1985, said "I was fortunate enough to cut my teeth on many of Reg's shows, e.g.Young Doctors and Prisoner, which eventually led to the role of Paul Robinson in what has become an international success story, Neighbours. I had the pleasure of being the on-screen nephew of Reg's lovely wife Joy."Grundy's wife Joy Chambers starred as Dr Robyn Porter in The Young Doctors, and Rosemary Daniels in Neighbours, the long-running soap which last year celebrated its 30th anniversary."

Dennis added: "Hearing of the passing of Reg has genuinely rocked my world because not only was he my boss, but an inspiration, proving anything can be achieved if you believe in yourself. I will miss you Reg, and my heart goes out to the family, most particularly Joy, who will be devastated by the loss of her husband and best friend."Today sees the end of one of the true love stories in the entertainment industry."

Colette Mann, who stars as bartender Sheila Canning and played Doreen Burns in Prisoner: Cell Block H, said Grundy had supported her at a difficult time for women in the industry.

She said: " Basically I have Reg Grundy to thank for having a career. If it hadn't been for Prisoner, which was a benchmark in Australian television - Reg took the gamble at the time when women were not cast in strong roles."">"It was ground-breaking and I know I wouldn't be still doing what I love today if it wasn't for his vision."The media mogul - who at one point had a home in Belgravia, London - founded Grundy Productions in 1959.

Grundy Worldwide was sold to the media conglomerate Pearson Plc for £175 million in April 1995, of which Grundy himself is believed to have received the vast bulk. It later became known as FremantleMedia Australia.

The current chief executive of FremantleMedia Australia, Ian Hogg, called him a "national treasure" and said his "innate understanding of great storytelling and entertainment lives on today".

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eni294 For This Useful Post:

daisy12 (11-05-2016), Ruffed_lemur (09-05-2016)

Thread Information