Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Corrie 2016

Coronation Street is lining up an explosive few months as affairs, death and baby secrets threaten to destroy lives and wreck marriages.

A brand new promo image teases the action in store for the rest of the summer and heading into autumn, but one thing is for sure - it won't all be hearts and flowers in Weatherfield.

Hapless Steve McDonald has been in some scrapes in the past, but this time he is faced with the daddy of all problems after tonight's episode saw him unveiled as the father of Leanne's baby.

The pair had an ill-advised one-night stand a few weeks ago, but with his marriage to Michelle back on track, Steve will be left in turmoil when, she too, announces she's having his child.

As the two women bond over their baby news, the big question is whether Steve will be able to keep his illegitimate child from Michelle, or if this is one hurdle the pair won't be able to overcome.

Over at the factory, Eva is keen to take things to the next level by setting up home with Aidan, but her plans will push him into the arms and bed of her friend, Maria.

However, when Maria's new friendship with Caz takes a sinister turn, it is Aidan and Eva who are there for her - but how will Eva feel if she ever finds out about Maria's fling with her boyfriend?

Aidan is impressed with Eva
    © ITV
    There is also a turbulent time ahead for poor David Platt as he become hellbent on avenging Kylie's tragic death.

Unable to come to terms with life without Kylie, an unhinged David will vow to make his wife's killer pay at whatever cost. David's behaviour is set to deeply shock those around him, but how far will he go to make Clayton pay? And can anyone stop him going vigilante?

Digital Spy

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (31-07-2016), livden (23-07-2016), lizann (23-07-2016), tammyy2j (24-07-2016)

THIS is Kate Oates idea to save Corrie? More affairs? LMAO. Ok then.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to livden For This Useful Post:

lizann (23-07-2016), Perdita (23-07-2016), tammyy2j (24-07-2016)

is clayton not in jail now

Quote Originally Posted by livden View Post
    THIS is Kate Oates idea to save Corrie? More affairs? LMAO. Ok then.
    I was expecting better from Kate

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    I was expecting better from Kate
    After seeing what she did over on Emmerdale, I did not

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

livden (25-07-2016)

If you've been following our Coronation Street news closely, you'll know that new producer Kate Oates set out her vision for the show's future at a press event last week – and it sounds like the soap is well and truly on the up again.

Eagle-eyed fans have already noticed some positive changes creeping in to Corrie recently as Kylie Platt's death episodes went down a storm, but the best is yet to come as new storylines and cast changes start to play out on screen. If you've missed any of the big announcements or just want some extra gossip, here's our handy guide to what's coming up.

1. Peter Barlow's return

By far the biggest Corrie announcement is the welcome return of Chris Gascoyne as Peter Barlow, who'll be arriving back home in Weatherfield later this year. Drama always follows Peter and although he intends this to just be a flying visit, he'll actually be back permanently.

"When he returns, he also may not be completely honest," Kate teased. "But something will happen when he arrives which is unexpected and means he has to stay – or wants to stay."

And with Kate promising another messy romantic storyline for Peter, it sounds like he'll be back to his very best – or should that be worst?

2. Adam Barlow and Daniel Osborne return too

Peter's comeback is just one part of a bigger aim to make the Barlows much more of a major force in Corrie again. With this in mind, Kate has also made the decision to bring back another of Ken's sons, Daniel Osbourne, as well as Ken's grandson Adam.

Casting details for the pair have yet to be confirmed, but it's thought that producers are already well on the way to picking their two actors. We all know that strong female characters are part of Corrie's DNA and this won't be changing, but word on the Street is that Daniel and Adam will be tipping the scales slightly by bringing some alpha-male energy with them.

"I think having that strong family dynasty – the first family on the soap, as it were – here, big, strong and sending ripples through the Street, is really exciting, and I am really looking forward to seeing that," Kate said.

3. Phelan gets nastier

Were rumours of Pat Phelan's comeuppance greatly exaggerated? Kate has hinted that his story actually has a long, long way to go yet – with the next chapter being opened when his old acquaintance Vinny pays a visit to the cobbles next week.

Phelan and Vinny will be trying to con the local residents by selling them properties in a new development, which will never actually be built. It seems that Phelan will stop at nothing to see this plan through, and when quizzed on whether he could ultimately become the Street's next killer, Kate certainly wasn't ruling it out.

"I want to see that as a journey, because Phelan isn't a character who's killed anybody to our knowledge," Kate said. "If that kind of thing was to come his way, I'd want to see the pressures on the man that would bring about that change." His enemies Todd and Michael may want to be on their guard...

4. Kylie's death sparks major drama

The Barlows may be coming to the Corrie forefront again, but that doesn't mean the Platts will be forgotten in the aftermath of Kylie's death. In fact, they have one of the biggest stories coming up in the autumn as David's simmering rage over his beloved wife's death starts to have a major effect on those around him.

But perhaps even more exciting than that was Kate promising that Gail will really be stepping up to support her loved ones in their time of need. "I'm looking forward to seeing Gail step up and being really strong. I'm also looking forward to seeing that family close ranks and be strong," Kate said. Music to our ears, as Gail is at her best when she's coming out fighting for her family... and not simpering over ice cream flavours with Michael.

5. Shock stunt

Tabloid reports have suggested that a big explosion will be hitting the cobbles later this year, and while that hasn't been officially confirmed just yet, Kate did reveal that there will be a big stunt of some sort this autumn. The on-screen spectacle is expected to tie in with the Platts' ongoing storyline, as David struggles to come to terms with Kylie's death.

"We are going to have a nice big stunt coming up in the autumn. It's traditional, you know," Kate laughed. "That will possibly be tied up with the Platts' story."

And we'd put our money on that stunt airing in October, when ITV brings us a 'Super Soap Week' which sees explosive storylines in both Corrie and Emmerdale coming to a head in dramatic style.

6. Long-running stories

Two of the juicy new stories revealed at the press event look set to be long-runners for Corrie. It's now been confirmed that Michelle Connor will indeed get pregnant with her husband Steve McDonald's baby, blissfully unaware that he's also expecting a child with Leanne Battersby.

Aidan Connor will also make a terrible mistake when he cheats on Eva Price with Maria, who seems very reluctant to let go in the aftermath.

Both of these plots are expected to run for a long while, with various twists and turns along the way. But you don't have to worry about them becoming boring, either. Crucially, Kate also spoke about the importance of splitting long stories into distinctive chapters so they don't feel repetitive. So, fingers crossed, we should avoid a repeat of the never-ending Tracy/Carla revenge saga...

7. Toyah COULD still return

Despite the recent tabloid rumours, one character who wasn't announced as a Weatherfield returnee was Leanne's stepsister Toyah. But Kate wasn't ruling this out completely – perhaps a hint that she could be trying to lure Georgia Taylor back to the show behind closed doors.

"I also love Toyah – I think she's fantastic – and because Leanne has such a big story [with her pregnancy] and Jane is going to be so busy, it is really tempting to see how it all fits together," Kate said. "But it is just speculation at the moment." We're keeping our fingers crossed...

8. Corrie is getting bigger

Kate also confirmed that Corrie will be getting bigger and better over the next year, as the show builds up to its increased output of six episodes a week from autumn 2017. Not only will the current base be expanded to introduce new sets and studio space, we'll see some exciting new characters hitting the cobbles too.

"There will be some changes," Kate confirmed. "We're looking at building some new studio space here and I'm looking at new characters anyway, just for balance and the general ongoing health of the show. It's making sure the show is in a great place for when we go to six a week."

9. Character shake-ups

Weatherfield should always be a busy and bustling community, so it's a shame when some of our favourite characters never seem to interact. But fans are likely to notice a change here too, as some of our favourites break out of their current character groups and interact with new people.

We've already seen reformed bad girl Gemma Winter sharing scenes with Street legend Rita Tanner – a pairing we never thought we'd see. Ditto Norris Cole and Kirk Sutherland when they moved in together for a while recently.

Gary Windass will also be the unlikely ally who supports Bethany Platt through her bullying ordeal in upcoming scenes. Crikey, at this rate we wouldn't be surprised if Tracy Barlow and Mary Taylor also become BFFs!

10. Corrie's roots haven't been forgotten

All the talk of new characters, stunts and revenge could leave some fans fearing that life on the cobbles is set to change a little too much. But never fear – Kate also made it clear that she's keen to respect the show's roots too.

"Corrie is famous for having the humour and storylines which aren't necessarily about huge character development or huge story arcs, but are just about the minutiae of life and what's funny," Kate said. "Some of the writers have been on the show for such a long time and it runs through their veins." So even if you just watch Corrie to see the likes of Rita and Norris exchanging idle chit-chat, it sounds like you won't be disappointed.

Digital Spy

Some good potential here, hope they get it right

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (31-07-2016), tammyy2j (06-08-2016), Vikki (25-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    Some good potential here, hope they get it right
    I think the following have potentially been got right by Kate Oates:

Peter Barlow's return - as long as Chris is given decent material, unlike the unwatchable Peter/Tina affair...

Adam Barlow and Daniel Osborne return - as long as they're well cast and there's some decent long-term plans for the characters.

Phelan gets nastier - could go either way...

...one of the biggest stories coming up in the autumn as David's simmering rage over his beloved wife's death starts to have a major effect on those around him - sounds like this could be compelling viewing and Jack P Shepherd always delivers.

The Leanne/Steve/Michelle and Maria/Aidan/Eva storylines - yes, they're all about affairs, but at least these storylines have some unusual twists that could make them engaging if written well (and as I've already made clear, I'm already finding the Leanne pregnancy storyline engaging - if a little farcical ).

Character shake ups - good idea. Norris and Kirk being recent housemates was unexpectedly entertaining.

Corrie's roots haven't been forgotten - perhaps the most important point in the above article.

I feel quite positive about Corrie's future at the moment.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 31-07-2016 at 15:24.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

alan45 (03-08-2016), parkerman (31-07-2016), Perdita (31-07-2016), tammyy2j (06-08-2016)

Whats wrong with that Maria. Somethng not right with her. One minute shes making Tyrone and Fiz's life hell and now shes going to get like that fatal attraction person. Why is she is the show?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swmc66 For This Useful Post:

livden (02-08-2016), Perdita (01-08-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    If you've been following our Coronation Street news closely, you'll know that new producer Kate Oates set out her vision for the show's future at a press event last week – and it sounds like the soap is well and truly on the up again.
    Nothing about Todd and Billy's relationship here. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to more Todd vs Phelan, and hopefully Todd will be able to take Phelan down, but I'd still like to see more of Todd and Billy. Oh well, hopefully we'll see more of them even if it doesn't say so here.

Quote Originally Posted by livden View Post
    Nothing about Todd and Billy's relationship here. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to more Todd vs Phelan, and hopefully Todd will be able to take Phelan down, but I'd still like to see more of Todd and Billy. Oh well, hopefully we'll see more of them even if it doesn't say so here.
    If Todd's going to be heavily involved in the Phelan storyline, then Billy as his partner will also be part of it. I'm sure there'll still be some focus on their relationship because they haven't even slept together yet. However, honeymoon periods are always very short in soapland.

I'm really glad to see Todd getting more screen time. It was only a few short months ago that I complained about his lack of storylines and hoped that Kate Oates would utilise him better.
    Last edited by Dazzle; 03-08-2016 at 16:47.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

livden (03-08-2016)

Thread Information