Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arthur Fatboy Chubb

Cool Arthur Fatboy Chubb

EastEnders star Ricky Norwood has experienced a life-changing 12 months after making his debut in the role of Walford joker Arthur 'Fatboy' Chubb last January. A year after his first appearance on Albert Square, Ricky is now in the running for the 'Best Newcomer' prize at the National Television Awards, which take place in London next week. In the first of a series of NTA interviews, DS recently gave Ricky a call to hear about his time at EastEnders so far and why he deserves your vote.

How does it feel to be in the running for 'Best Newcomer'?
    "It's a bit of a shock, but it's a great honour! It's amazing. When we add up Fatboy's time last year, it doesn't add up to a lot, but he's made an impact in the time that he has had. The fact that it's been recognised by the general public and my peers is absolutely amazing to me - it's quite baffling, but it's great!"

What would it mean to you to win the award?
    "Awards are a recognition of all the work that you've done in the last year, and for me personally, not only the last year but every year that I've been training, working in plays and trying to build up my repertoire as an actor. It would be a great culmination of all that stuff. Also, it's a National Television Award - it's not a Soap Award. I love all the soap award ceremonies, but this is across TV in general - across the whole spectrum. To have been nominated for something like that is just gobsmacking, really! It's hard to describe."

You're up against Paula Lane from Corrie, Olga Fedori from Holby City and Marc Silcock from Emmerdale - what do you think of the competition?
    "I think everybody's got a chance. I wish them as much luck as people are wishing me. I know how it is to be a newcomer coming into an established show and trying to make a mark, so I definitely wish them all luck. I haven't met them before, but I'm looking forward to meeting them on the night."

If you had to give your plea for why people should vote for you, what would you say?
    "All I would say is vote if Fatboy has made you laugh or chuckle, if Fatboy has surprised you or if he's changed your opinions of him. A lot of people say to me that when Fatboy first came into EastEnders, people didn't like him. But over a period of time, some people's views have changed and they've said, 'Actually, I do like him!' So if Fatboy has changed your opinion between the first time he showed up and now, I'd say vote for me! But all of us are strong candidates and I wouldn't be totally devastated if they didn't!"

Are there any particular scenes featuring Fatboy that you'd like people to bear in mind as they decide who to vote for?
    "Well, my most significant week on EastEnders so far has been when me and a couple of the other younger characters went to the woods. We basically had a whole week of storyline, and that was my first full week - appearing in Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday's episodes. I got to play so many different emotions in that week - Fatboy even got his first kiss in the woods. Also, recently there was a scene with Kat and Alfie where Fatboy and Mercy brought them a cake, and you could kind of see that sensitive and caring side of Fatboy. I think Fatboy is trying to improve himself at all times. But my favourite week so far was when I was in the woods - we all had a really good time and I really enjoyed those episodes."

Are you looking forward to letting your hair down at the NTA ceremony itself?
    "Absolutely! I'll be able to let my hair down and maybe even take off my shoes, because my house is not that far away! (Laughs)"

Do you think EastEnders is in with a good chance for the 'Best Serial Drama' prize this year?
    "Absolutely. EastEnders are always forward-thinking, they always push the boundaries and they always outdo the previous year. We've had an absolutely great year - we had the live episode, the great episodes where Peggy and Stacey left, and we've got some really talented people within the cast. Being here for the year that I have, I've learned a hell of a lot and I continue to learn loads."

Have you enjoyed the chance to show a different side to Fatboy recently - like in the scene with Kat that you mentioned?
    "I think Fatboy will always be the joker of the pack, but it's just great that when I have scenes with Dot, or scenes like the one with Kat, that I get to show that different side. It's good to show that he's not just all about the slang and not all about the hype. Fatboy is an intelligent character - he knows when he's putting on the slang and he knows that's a front. When he speaks to Dot or Mercy on their level, you see that different side to him and the whole 'street' thing drops quickly. Instead, you see the boy that he really is - the sensitive boy that wants to be caring and wants to look after people. But he thinks that in the street and in East London, that isn't credible and he might get beat up or slagged off for acting like a wuss. So that's why he puts on that front. But I love surprising the audience, so the more they give me scenes with June Brown or with Jessie, the better - it's great for me and great for the character."

What's in store for Fatboy in 2011?
    "There's going to be a lot more from me this year. I'd say just keep it glued! I think there'll be more sensitive times, but I do like surprising the audience, so I'll try to leave it as a surprise. But there is plenty of stuff coming up for him this year - keep your eyes peeled because I don't want to spoil it for anyone. I hope people will enjoy it when it turns up."

It's been a big 12 months for you - starting out on EastEnders: E20, moving over to the main show, and now you're up for 'Best Newcomer' - how would you sum it all up?
    "It's been unbelievable, really. The journey that the character has been through and the journey that I've been through myself have both been so amazing. Obviously I have worked before, doing plays, a little bit of hosting and also dancing, but it's nowhere near as high profile as EastEnders. I think we've had a great year and to be there now is unbelievable. It's a great honour that they've kept me on and that they continue to keep me on."

Do you think there'll ever be a time where we know your character purely as Arthur rather than as Fatboy?
    "I don't know - I like the fact that you can see Fatboy but you can also see a bit of Arthur. Whether things will change, I don't know. The name of Fatboy has kind of stuck - one day I might turn into Arthur, but I think people will always know me as Fatboy. With EastEnders, you never know what might happen!"

Do you enjoy getting the chance to work with June Brown?
    "It's an honour and a privilege, let me tell you. She is literally a legend and when I'm working with her on set, she is meticulous. She knows where the teapots and teacups should be, she knows why a table shouldn't be in a certain place and she knows about the lighting. It's great to work with and learn from somebody like that. I love every single scene I get with her. I don't know who thought up the idea of putting Fatboy and Dot together, but it's a great mix - two totally different generations and two different speech patterns but they still find a way. June has done so much for me in terms of the learning environment at work but also for the character, as you see a different side to Fatboy again when he's with her. June is a screen legend and I think she should be getting a Lifetime Achievement Award!"

Could there ever be a proper romance for Fatboy and Mercy?
    "From Fatboy's point of view, he'd like there to be! They've always been good friends and had each other's backs but whether that will develop into a romance, I really don't know. Fatboy's always been the one who's chasing her, so I don't know whether she might buckle at one point and look at him without the older sister or parent kind of view - because that's how Mercy is with him. Whether she can let that go and finally fall for Fatboy, I don't know! But I would say fingers crossed, and I know Fatboy is going to be trying so that should be fun to watch!"

Will you have any involvement in the third series of E20?
    "I know they've got some new writers in for it and they're working really, really hard - and I think series three will more than likely be the best season that they're going to come out with. From the little whispers that I'm hearing and who's going to be writing, I think they've got some good ideas. I don't know whether I'm in it as much as the first and second series, because I know that EastEnders want me to be around for the main show during the period of filming for E20. I don't know whether I'll get to be in it, but I'll always love E20 and I'll always be grateful for the opportunity they gave to me."

Are there any EastEnders cast members who you're keen to work with more?
    "I love Lindsey Coulson, who plays Carol - she is amazing. Also Jake Wood who plays Max - I think he's an amazing actor. We've got some really talented people in the cast, so I'm always learning when I'm doing the scenes. Because of Fatboy's age and the people he mixes with, he sometimes doesn't get the opportunity to mix with the elders on the Square - but I'd love to work with Lindsey and with Jake. Also Tameka, who plays Kim - I think that her and Fatboy would get on so well, whether as mates or in a relationship. Fatboy and Kim are such brash and brassy characters - they love a laugh, so I think pairing them up would be a comedy goldmine.

"Also, Gillian Wright who plays Jean Slater is an awesome actress - I've seen her do some stuff that has taken my breath away sometimes. And then there's people who don't get the credit that they deserve sometimes, like Patsy Palmer. She's been amazing throughout Billie's death storyline and all the Whitney stuff. Sometimes when people are so used to someone being there, they don't recognise how amazing they are!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

lizann (21-01-2011)

I do like Fatboy now

I'm with you Lizann, he has kinda grown on me.

make that 3 of us... at first he annoyed me but out of all the people who came in with him, leon and Zha zha.. he was my favourite.. I love his relationship with Dot and loved his talk with kat.. Fatboy is funny...
    Super Mod

I do think Mercy likes him she was jealous of Kim chasing him

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Fatboy is funny...
    Shhhh dont tell the producers or they will make him miserable like everyone else

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

JustJodi (21-01-2011), Siobhan (21-01-2011)

He has grown on me alot lately

EastEnders fans are to be introduced to Fatboy's father Ashley Chubb later this year, it has been confirmed.

Bosses at the BBC soap are currently casting for the character, who will make his debut on screen in the spring.

Ashley's arrival in Walford comes as he faces problems in his personal life and comes to stay with his son. However, how Fatboy will react to the news that his dad's life has been turned upside down remains to be seen.

An EastEnders spokesperson said: "We are currently casting for Fatboy's dad, Ashley Chubb, who will appear on screen in spring."

A show insider added: "Fatboy has been a real hit with viewers and the bosses have decided that it's now time to bring in his dad so people can see what Fatboy is really all about."

Fatboy has been on screen since January 2010, but little is currently known about his background, family and upbringing.

Meanwhile, Ricky Norwood - who plays the character - is in the running for the 'Best Newcomer' prize at this year's National Television Awards, which take place in London on Wednesday.

DS

EastEnders star Ricky Norwood has admitted that his character Arthur 'Fatboy' Chubb is unable to switch off his romantic feelings for best friend Mercy Olubunmi.

The relationship between the pair is further explored in next week's episodes of the Walford soap as Fatboy gets jealous over her budding romance with Seb, who was introduced to the show in March as Lauren Branning's college friend.

In a further twist, Fatboy's father Ashley will also try to get Mercy into trouble in the coming days by spitefully informing the UK border agency that she has outstayed her visa.

Last week, reports suggested that the situation will reach a climax later this month as Fatboy apparently proposes to Mercy on the day of the royal wedding.

In an interview with TV Choice, Norwood confirmed: "Fatboy needs to do something to catch Mercy's attention. When he does, it's with a big gesture to make sure she'll still be around.

"I do look at his storylines and think, 'What are you doing? Leave Mercy alone, she has a boyfriend!' But once he cares about someone that's it, so can there ever be a happy ending for Fatboy and Mercy? I don't know. This is EastEnders, after all."

The actor, whose Walford career began on internet spinoff EastEnders: E20, also spoke of his joy at winning the 'Best Newcomer' prize at the National Television Awards in January.

He said: "When I joined E20 it was like the first year of school. I got through and graduated to the big show. The award was the crowning glory!"

Ricky Norwood has revealed that he would like his EastEnders character Fatboy to go ahead with his desperate plan to marry best friend Mercy Olubunmi.

Fatboy proposes to Mercy in the soap's special royal wedding episode at the end of the month, desperate to keep her in the country after the authorities try to deport her.

In an interview with Inside Soap, Norwood confirmed that he is keen for Fatboy and Mercy (Bunmi Mojekwu) to make it down the aisle as the storyline continues.

He commented: "Soap weddings are legendary, so it would be great to have one. I'd be very happy if Fatboy and Mercy's big day popped up in the 2012 EastEnders annual!"

Meanwhile, asked how Mercy reacts to Fatboy's surprise proposal, the actor said: "She's shocked! Mercy thinks he's lost his marbles, but soon comes round to the idea. Fatboy reckons that this isn't about his feelings, it's all about keeping her in the UK. Of course, he's also hoping that if she stays, maybe she'll end up liking him in the way he likes her."

However, Norwood also warned that Fatboy may be heading for problems if he goes ahead with the risky plan to fool immigration officials.

"You can get into a lot of trouble for this stuff," he said. "But all Fatboy can think is, 'How can I save Mercy?' She's the girl he loves."

DS

Thread Information